Merlins to replace Jungly Sea King

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by codbutt, Dec 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it so that with the news of the Chinook order for the RAF, they are transferring the HC3 Merlins to the RN for Commando helicopter support, to replace HC4 Sea King?
    Makes sense I suppose - though can you get an HC3 Merlin down a carrier lift?
  2. SSSHHHHHHH your not supposed to notice the problems
  3. No - but they will allegedly be, "ship optimised" when cash is available...

Not 'marinised' you note...
  4. What, like the Nimrod capability gap in 2011/12?
    The one that Mr Ainsworth apparently said can be covered by Hercules?
  5. And the use of RFA tankers instead of frigates!

Oh and the Tankers aint getting replaced either!
  6. But Mr Brown is just doing what the public demand and sulying out brave boys in Afghanistan with more Chinooks. Well in a few years, maybe, sort of.....
    In the meantime he is asset striping the Royal Navy and the RAF, just as the Falkland Islands are about to become a huge financial asset to the UK.
  7. Dont get him started on the Falklands! All those jets whizzing around for no reason releasing CO2, it causes global warming dont ya know!!
  8. Ship optimised, so thats the same mod as the Chinooks.....better set of A/C covers!
  9. Forgive me if I'm being thick, but why would you need to marinise a helicopter designed for naval operations and flown off the back of frigates?
  10. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I think the HM1/2 (fleet) and HC3 (utility) are different beasts, things like folding rotors and tails, EM clearances, weapons integration etc etc
  11. He was on about the RAF HC3s. They have a ramp at the back and dont have a folding tail (yet...AW are working on that one :roll: ). Plus they dont have the same sort of corrosion protection the Navy ones have so they would look like a Lancia after a few months on board a big boat.
  12. I'm surprised that the two would be that different.

The tail on the HC3 certainly comes off, as otherwise it wouldn't fit in a C17. May not be a convenient arrangement though.
  13. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

You need the power tail to allow the ability to bring up the lift and provided the tempo needed for LitM Ops. If you needed to keep bolting on the tail each time it would be too time consuming.
  14. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Here is the Italian Navies utility variant with all the folding bits

15. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

What's wrong with the jungly Mk4 Sea kings? They only went through an avionics upgrade 4 years ago.