• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Merlins to replace Jungly Sea King

#1
Is it so that with the news of the Chinook order for the RAF, they are transferring the HC3 Merlins to the RN for Commando helicopter support, to replace HC4 Sea King?
Makes sense I suppose - though can you get an HC3 Merlin down a carrier lift?
 
#5
jagman said:
instinct said:
SSSHHHHHHH your not supposed to notice the problems
What, like the Nimrod capability gap in 2011/12?
The one that Mr Ainsworth apparently said can be covered by Hercules?
And the use of RFA tankers instead of frigates!

Oh and the Tankers aint getting replaced either!
 
#6
instinct said:
jagman said:
instinct said:
SSSHHHHHHH your not supposed to notice the problems
What, like the Nimrod capability gap in 2011/12?
The one that Mr Ainsworth apparently said can be covered by Hercules?
And the use of RFA tankers instead of frigates!

Oh and the Tankers aint getting replaced either!
But Mr Brown is just doing what the public demand and sulying out brave boys in Afghanistan with more Chinooks. Well in a few years, maybe, sort of.....
In the meantime he is asset striping the Royal Navy and the RAF, just as the Falkland Islands are about to become a huge financial asset to the UK.
 
#7
jagman said:
instinct said:
jagman said:
instinct said:
SSSHHHHHHH your not supposed to notice the problems
What, like the Nimrod capability gap in 2011/12?
The one that Mr Ainsworth apparently said can be covered by Hercules?
And the use of RFA tankers instead of frigates!

Oh and the Tankers aint getting replaced either!
But Mr Brown is just doing what the public demand and sulying out brave boys in Afghanistan with more Chinooks. Well in a few years, maybe, sort of.....
In the meantime he is asset striping the Royal Navy and the RAF, just as the Falkland Islands are about to become a huge financial asset to the UK.
Dont get him started on the Falklands! All those jets whizzing around for no reason releasing CO2, it causes global warming dont ya know!!
 
#9
Junglynx said:
No - but they will allegedly be, "ship optimised" when cash is available...

Not 'marinised' you note...
Forgive me if I'm being thick, but why would you need to marinise a helicopter designed for naval operations and flown off the back of frigates?
 
#10
I think the HM1/2 (fleet) and HC3 (utility) are different beasts, things like folding rotors and tails, EM clearances, weapons integration etc etc
 
#11
incendiarycutlery said:
Junglynx said:
No - but they will allegedly be, "ship optimised" when cash is available...

Not 'marinised' you note...
Forgive me if I'm being thick, but why would you need to marinise a helicopter designed for naval operations and flown off the back of frigates?
He was on about the RAF HC3s. They have a ramp at the back and dont have a folding tail (yet...AW are working on that one :roll: ). Plus they dont have the same sort of corrosion protection the Navy ones have so they would look like a Lancia after a few months on board a big boat.
 

Guns

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#13
You need the power tail to allow the ability to bring up the lift and provided the tempo needed for LitM Ops. If you needed to keep bolting on the tail each time it would be too time consuming.
 
#16
That's like taking a 1990 Jag XJ and adding a new stereo, then trying to say its better than the 2009 version... ;)

As Meridian has pointed out, AW already know's how to make a marineized transport Merlin - the question is, how much will it cost to convert ours?
 
#17
Sympathetic_Reaction said:
What's wrong with the jungly Mk4 Sea kings? They only went through an avionics upgrade 4 years ago.
And the Carson blades, arent they assisting with the killing of the Queens enemies in Afghanistan?
 
#19
Some of those Mk 4's flew in the FI and tbh have been flown relentlessly since then, probably take a few years to happen anyway. I don't think the avionics upgrade was that extensive either.
 

Latest Threads