Merlin Helicopters Train for Afghanistan in US

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Aug 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. could have done same training at BATUS
  3. Having the RAF training in BATUS would imply that there is training coordination between the Army and the RAF. :roll:
  4. No First Class hotels at BATUS.
  5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I'd be surprised if BATUS has the conditions to meet Hot and has a significant affect on the operation of rotory aircraft.

El centro is the normal location for Hot and High, it is one of the few worldwide locations with the correct conditions (or at least in a 'friendly' country)

Not sure the hotals there could be described as Luxury either.

6. El centro is below sea level. It does have mountains nearby, but I doubt they are as high ASL as afghan though. But I stand to be corrected.
  7. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

8. Wiki on BATUS says it's 770m above MSL, that's a bit better than the 22m above MSL in San Diego. As for heat. I'm sure that temps between plus 40C in the summer and minus 20C in the winter are similar to Helmand.
  9. Sympathetic_Reaction

Height in an aircraft is the easy bit, the hot is the difficult bit. There is always the ranges near Ridgecrest (which I've forgotten the name of) which have some decent terrain, but but you are reducing the temperatures extremes available. Luckily flying a bit higher can cover most of your training requirements for drills and experience of the aircrafts handling in these conditions.

Obviously if you need to practice close in support, terrain following etc, then there is a balance between the High bit and the Hot I said there aren't many 'friendly' places you can go to get the Hot bit, let alone the Hot and High bit.

11. I am not sure that is true. I think that the air is heated not directly by solar radiation, but by solar energy being absorbed by the ground and then conducted into the atmosphere. If so, it would preclude flying conditions being similar.

Mind you, El Centro is a nice place to be. It has reasonable motels and is handy for San Diego and Nevada. :wink:
  12. Sympathetic_Reaction

I'm going to be sad here...but as I have it open here is the list of countries with the correct conditions for the Hot part according to Def-Stan 00-35

USA/Mexico (El Centro)
    Mauritania, Mali, Algeria, Niger, Libya, Sudan (possibly not !!)
    Egypt, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman (not much infrastructure for support and mainly the central zones)
    Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India (all possibly a bit close for 'training')
    Australia (you'd complain if they went there as well)

So if you want to find a option out of that lot, where there is a local military airfield with engineering support feel free to suggest it to the RAF - along with hotel recommendations.

13. Sympathetic_Reaction

As I said finding conditions for both Hot and High together in a 'friendly' country is difficult, so you try and get the best of either, El Centro is the best location for Hot (it has an airfield there for just that reason), the High bit you cna either fake by flying higher (not ideal but it's a start) or you could fly further north, losing temperature but gaining ground elevation. I assume that they are doing El centro first and possibly moving on (China lake maybe?) for more testing. I know the Merlin Hot and High trials in about 2002/3 were done in two locations in the USA.

14. Whats the LOA in the USA?

15. I guess the smiley at the end of the post passed you by?