Merlin Helicopter

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by india-juliet, Mar 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are you on about? Its not to replaise the Sea King at all.

We are riding about on both at the moment, there are no plans to get shot of the Sea King.
    But you are right, good bit of kit, carries a lot more weight, and getting on and off the back ramp is a lot better. Unless your are wearing all your kit, then the angle can be a bit much.

2. saw the Merlin at the Portrush airshow last summer, cracking piece of kit, flew in from Scotland did a bit of showing off and flew away again.

3. The Merlin Mk1 is to replace the Sea King in the ASW role. There is still no real progress in the plan to replace the HC 4 troop carrying Sea King with anything.

4. Yes that's what I did mean to say in my first post. However the Sea king is getting a little dated now.

5. Got a squadron of them just down the road from me, get to see them most days.

6. Merlin? It's a pile of cack. Over priced, over complicated and built by a garage door company. Its the aviation equivalent of the CET.

7. You don't get around much do you? It also does a nice journey to the Shatt and to Al-Ahmarah and other less renowned places.
    Not bothered if it is over priced, It has saved me on a lot of road moves, which I am very thankful for.

8. nice pice of kit; but the four point seat harness is a pain in the aaarrrrrse when you've got kit on......... also lots of breakable plastic bits, methinks.................... got to give it time though......

9. Apart from being a chopper yourself, WTF would you know??

10. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Still not using that spell check that Flashy so kindly gave to you a while ago, eh? :lol:

PS WTF are you going on about?

11. Using all my extensive (and expensive) BAT training, I like the colour, the rotory things and the fact that there are THREE engines so it's even harder to chop the wrong engine but the most important thing apart from my coffee going cold is, does it have any fcuking tri-wing screws?

12. turn LEFT on exit.

13. Lovely looking machine.

Shame it can't fly in the heat of the mid-day Iraqi sun come the summer months.

Of course, if we'd been able to buy more Chinooks this wouldn't be such a problem. Granted they get affected by the heat, but they don't croak at quite the same temperature as Merlin.