Merkel wants a European Army

She really is a dreadful woman and one very good reason why the Berlin Wall should have stayed up.

Because we can always rely on our fellow Europeans to do the right thing! The EU can stick its idea of an Army up its own arrse!

General Sir Peter de la Billiere said of the European military that only the French Foreign Legion and the Dutch Marines were worth going to war with. The rest he likened to Cadet forces. Perhaps that is why none of them are war fighting in Afghanistan.

But I did get a bottle of wine in Belgian Army packed lunch once. EU Army might not be a bad thing !

Well, being as how the 'Europeans' seem to have a track record of losing wars I think this is a bad idea.

I completely , utterly and totally disagree with the above comments. I'm all for Europe - as a unified whole we WOULD be the most powerful country of earth bar none, with a GDP several billion greater than the USA. People complain about the rules that come down from upon high, but point out one that is truly ridiculous and wrong looking at the whole

We struggle by ourselves, as a whole we can be great once more. Plus, with our wealth we could be a controlling aspect of this new super state.

Not only that, but to say the other european armies are like cadet forces is ridiculous - all of them have traditions at least as long as ours, and are hamstrung by even wore funding than we have (Germans being exception) - don't blame them for not helping more in afghanistan, that's their governments fault governments with more sense than to get dragged into the rampant mission creep that is Herrick.

I'm going to get a lot of stick for this, but I don't care because the sooner people get over the Jingoistic 'us and them' mentality that better lies with the 19th Century (you know, the one the Daily Mail readers still adore and subscribe to) the better, for us and the world.

Ah my Helmet, thank you Cpl, shall we button down?

Does anybody really believe the Germans would give up the right to decide for themselves to not go to war, especially not to an EU which is made up of a majority of states that do/did go into places like Iraq and Southern Afghan?
Stand down... nothing to see...

Yeoman_dai said:
I completely , utterly and totally disagree with the above comments. I'm all for Europe - as a unified whole we WOULD be the most powerful country of earth bar none, with a GDP several billion greater than the USA. People complain about the rules that come down from upon high, but point out one that is truly ridiculous and wrong looking at the whole

We struggle by ourselves, as a whole we can be great once more. Plus, with our wealth we could be a controlling aspect of this new super state.

Not only that, but to say the other european armies are like cadet forces is ridiculous - all of them have traditions at least as long as ours, and are hamstrung by even wore funding than we have (Germans being exception) - don't blame them for not helping more in afghanistan, that's their governments fault governments with more sense than to get dragged into the rampant mission creep that is Herrick.

I'm going to get a lot of stick for this, but I don't care because the sooner people get over the Jingoistic 'us and them' mentality that better lies with the 19th Century (you know, the one the Daily Mail readers still adore and subscribe to) the better, for us and the world.

Ah my Helmet, thank you Cpl, shall we button down?

This a Whah Right?

Muffin said:
General Sir Peter de la Billiere said of the European military that only the French Foreign Legion and the Dutch Marines were worth going to war with. The rest he likened to Cadet forces. Perhaps that is why none of them are war fighting in Afghanistan.
No-one is 'war fighting' in Afghanistan. It might have something to do with war not being declared. :roll:

The Germans have loosened their ROE's, so that is a step in the right direction. Or do you want a Spanish answer? Germany is voting soon and if pushed, a 'troops out' vote may just past the post first.

I thought about this concept many years ago. Each country would supply x number of troops for the length of a tour and they would be based in Belgium, or Holland. Total strength would be say 15,000

Now the real problem is the command.

Imagine a pool of 15,000 combat ready troops who could deploy in hours. The Commander is French and decides to take them to Afghanistan. The Germans don't want to go so they veto the deployment. If the Germans are not going then the Belgians see no point either.

Blair signed a promise a while ago in helsinki i believe about joining an EU army. a rapid reaction force of another 60,000 i believe.

the EU Council already has 22,500 troops under its direct control via its battlegroup structure
theres also 60,000 troops in the Eurocorp program.

if you look up the SAFE program, which was agreed to on the 20th feb there is already a framework for a true european armed forces.

i see it as an inevitability. however i dont believe it would be effective, and the current EU system is one of the worst possible ways to run anything, let alone the most productive area in the world.

Toxicseagull said:
Blair signed a promise a while ago in helsinki i believe about joining an EU army. a rapid reaction force of another 60,000 i believe.

the EU Council already has 22,500 troops under its direct control via its battlegroup structure
theres also 60,000 troops in the Eurocorp program.

if you look up the SAFE program, which was agreed to on the 20th feb there is already a framework for a true european armed forces.
So the EU will be in a position to intimidate those counties who don't comply with its diktats.

Better start working on the IED's then.

Latest Threads