ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Merkel to win in Germany?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Auld-Yin, May 10, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Now that France has their presidential elections out of the way, bar the horse trading, it is time to look to Germany and what is happening there.

Regional elections were held on 7 May and Merkel came out of these on top, against what had been expected. This puts her CDU Party in the lead for the German general election in September and to a fourth term of office for Merkel.

Some people in UK were hoping that she would be struggling to hold on to power thus weakening her position as the powerhouse of the EU. This does not look likely now and indeed she may come out of this election stronger and able to devote time to dealing with the EU rather than domestic politics. Might not be great for Brexit unless Angela decided to help influence negotiations calming down the Juncker-style hard approach allowing for a softer Brexit than anticipated.

Anyway, this vote takes place in September when the Brexit negotiations will start to have real meaning.

I know it is the Sun but this article does give a simple look at the German election process and party standings
    When is the German Federal Election 2017 and will Merkel win again?

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Merkel's conservatives could govern with Greens, FDP-German poll
    She may be looking for a 'three way' (okay....) coalition with FDP, Greens and her CDU party. A 'Jamaica coalition' (hmmm....):

3. Germans like continuity and the status quo not change for changes' sake. The only think it seems Merkel has messed up on is immigration and I doubt that's enough to bring her down.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Auld-Yin

German politics are very strange. A coalition between Conservative (Merkel) and the Green Party would not be seen as a comfortable one here. It was bad enough with Tory/Lib Dems.

Mind you, the Green Party in Germany seems to be a more sensible one than the moon-howlers in the UK.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Could it be that the Germans are more tolerant than us Brits when it comes to identifying the need for migrant workers to do the jobs that our kids won't do? A Merkel win will guarantee a stronger EU and a more difficult exit for the UK (imo).

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Auld-Yin

Perhaps a stronger EU, or at least a stronger hand at the helm, could mean a smoother exit from the EU with wins on both sides?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Rather like France I think the Germans will step back from voting far right even though the (few) Germans I know condemn her policy on immigration.

8. Merkel will win in Germany. The Germans I've met are very uncomfortable with anything that could be misconstrued as being vaguely right wing. It almost seems the lever to use.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Has always been so. Back in the 70's all the shït jobs were done by Turks.

10. I've noticed they even refer to people protesting against the open door immigration policy they brought in as extreme right wing. They have some fairly oppressive views in regards to free speech too.

• Like Like x 11
  11. Oh they have their moments.
    Meat free fridays was one of the more interesting ones, then there is the law that means you have to kill any fish you catch as catch and release is too stressful on the fish.

12. NRW are voting for the State parliament this Sunday.
    Being the most populous state it is always seen as a particularly relevant indicator for the outcome of the general parliamentary election.

It is SPD at present and the wannabe chancellor (Schulz) is throwing his weight behind the incumbent Fr Kraft.
    Could be an interesting outcome.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Come on own up. Whose sock is this?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I read that the SPD and the Greens (currently in charge) are doing pretty poorly. It said the Greens may not even get the 5% of the vote required to have any seats and the SPD could lose half theirs. CDU (under Angela) and AltR are predicted to do well.

15. Auld-Yin

AltR are the big question mark. Although we keep hearing German voters shy away from right wing politics yet at the same time we are told of the upsurge of AltR.

I am very uninformed on German politics so would be grateful for pointers from ex-pats out there. All i get at the moment is the dribs and drabs in the media.

• Like Like x 1