• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Merkava turret bustle bollocks

Now I understand that the Merkava "bollocks on chains" dangling off the back of their turret bustle are intended to defeat shaped charge RPGs, much like slat armour but since no other army's MBTs are seen sporting such adornments, it begs the question: Do the IDF know something no one else does, are they kidding themselves or are they just more likely than most to be set upon by "inocent peaceful protestors" of a dusky hue that just "found" an RPG-7 in the weeds?

Now I understand that the Merkava "bollocks on chains" dangling off the back of their turret bustle are intended to defeat shaped charge RPGs, much like slat armour but since no other army's MBTs are seen sporting such adornments, it begs the question: Do the IDF know something no one else does, are they kidding themselves or are they just more likely than most to be set upon by "inocent peaceful protestors" of a dusky hue that just "found" an RPG-7 in the weeds?

If it works , and stops these feckers getting you, why not?

Shulament's Hair'

Last edited:
The septics have ordered $193 million worth of it for the Abrahms.

US Army inks $193 million deal to buy Israeli tank defense system

The bollocks on chains are just a single component of the system. It can apparently detect incoming and have a 'gun aimed at it and firing in less time than it takes a perv to zero in on a cleavage. The bollocks only appear to provide extra protection around the rear point of the turret which all looks a bit weak in design.

The thing I find funny, and maybe someone should tell @loofkar to have a word with his mates, is that the Israeli armour is shhh! secret. So was Chobham until we sold some of the vehicles to the septics and part of the deal was they received full tech spec's and then released them under the the freedom of information so that every Sov and Choggie armour designer and anti-tank weapons desinger knew exactly what they had to defeat. You are warned Isreal.

I would guess that the reason the Merkava has the chains while other tanks don’t is a matter of geometry. The Merkava, being front engined, has a high, flat, deck, so the turret bustle always has a gap under it. Rear engines tanks tend to have a lower deck that raises at the back to accommodate the engine. The turret bustle (if there is one) has the gap covered in most situations by the rear deck, or at least there is no space for the chains with the turret forward

The bollocks on chains are just a single component of the system. It can apparently detect incoming and have a 'gun aimed at it and firing in less time than it takes a perv to zero in on a cleavage. The bollocks only appear to provide extra protection around the rear point of the turret which all looks a bit weak in design.

The thing I find funny, and maybe someone should tell @loofkar to have a word with his mates, is that the Israeli armour is shhh! secret. So was Chobham until we sold some of the vehicles to the septics and part of the deal was they received full tech spec's and then released them under the the freedom of information so that every Sov and Choggie armour designer and anti-tank weapons desinger knew exactly what they had to defeat. You are warned Isreal.

I think a fixed or solid plate would restricted movement to that part of the turret?

I would contend, as a layman, that in its lifetime the IDF has probably had more RPGs launched at it than any other army and so yes; they probably know quite a lot that no-one else does.

Last edited:
My thunking is that if you get a charge into that confined area it could do damage. To a non-tank designer like me a bang there could lever up the turret, or at least do enough damage to disable it - so the chains were an after thought.

The nuts and bolts of the electronic system are in the box on the mid-upper left hand side with the black squares and discs. There appear to be a couple each on the front hull and also the turret.

Looking at it I'd say it has the advantage that the protection can extend to the deck in the area where the clearance is maximum and still allow the turret to do a 360° traverse over the parts of the tank where the deck-bustle clearance is smaller. Fixed, solid bar or slat armour could only extend down as far as the lowest clearance between deck and bustle.

That being said, there looks to be a relatively sizeable gap between the "bollocks" and the deck there anyway...

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

Are you sure? I seem to recall that we sold it to Jordan as the result of a spontaneous brainwave by St Tony of Blair - to the general horror of the wiser and better informed..

Text-to-speech engine needs some work...
Does no one listen to these things before they are uploaded?
He asked rhetorically.