Merkava MBT - How good is the troop carrying capacity?

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by Vladimir_Ilyich_Crab, Apr 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm having an argument that some better informed tread-head may be able to resolve. Basically centers on the Merkava - I know it has the capacity to carry troops, and even stretchers in some variants. I am aware of the NAMER IFV variant.

However, the question I am trying to resolve, is how many does the MBT variant MkIV carry, and is it used in an IFV role or is it just a lucky side effect of the rear hatch that the Israelis play on to talk up its capabilities?
  2. Didnt try very hard did you

YouTube - Merkava Mk4 interior
  3. Why not try reading "Janes Fighting Vehicles" or ask the Isrealis.
  4. I have seen this but have several thoughts:

1. The Israelis will be biased, and not talk down their own tanks.
    2. If you can get the function of an IFV in an MBT, why aren't we and everyone else doing it?
    3. Why would the Israelis have created a dedicated IFV variant if the MBT can fulfil that role?

What I was hoping is that some tanky on here may have better gen, from having had a poke around inside one, or having spoken to an Israeli tanker not giving an interview to a septic, or possibly seen some doctrine. I haven't a copy of Janes about or I would have a look.
  5. You can't I think the term is a couple of soldiers in the back, not a fighting section?

Its a simple matter of space, you can only fit so much in to a small area.

Becasue you simply can't have both, if you try to fit both roles into one system you will come up against some restriction which will reduce the vehicles main role.

MBT is to simply destroy other MBT which relises on the Firepower, protection, manoverability and speed.

If you put a fighting section crew space in the vehicle and also a main gun capable of destrying other MBT it will make it a very large target.

IIRC reading somewhere the crew access in the rear stems from trying to recover other crews back to a rear location,
  6. The troop carrying capability of the Merkava is a bit oversold. You woudn't want to rapidly debus through those "large rear doors".
    Its a clever design well suited to the unique way the Merkava is deployed. Its often sited as a static strongpoint, and the rear doors allow you to re-bomb and swap out crews with the minimum of exposure.
    The capacity for CASEVAC and/or cabbying pax is an incidental bonus.

7. Remember as well that the pax mostly fit into the recoil space for the gun. I've heard it said that it's great for recovering wounded under fire, crews from knocked-out tanks and so on. More of a nice to have than a genuine dual purpose vehicle.
  8. The design of the Merkava was based upon research cnducted by the Israelis after their own little adventures in 67, 73 et al. Which explains the high emphassis on crew survival. One of the little points the Israelis noted was the habit of banging thro the average 50 ish main rounds carried by most tanks in service then without any trouble at all. Winning sometime seemed to depend on being able to shot for longer than the enemy. Rebombing tanks in action was also somewhat tricky and downright dangerous. Therefore the new home designed tank was to carry close to 100 rounds and be easy to rebomb whilst in action. 48 rounds is available for use whilst, I think, another 48 is to hand.
  9. Namer on the other hand, is a very good IFV. Unlike most other MBT designs (in which the powerpack is in the back), the Merkava does lend itself well to such conversions.

I believe there's a plan to make them in the US for the Israelis...paid for by US military aid!
  10. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

OOTS, am I being a bit mental, how does the passenger compartment at the rear get impinged by the main gun recoil?

11. It doesn't, otherwise you couldn't fire over the side. One of the advantages of the engine at the front btw is that you can fit a mahoosive cannon and keep the gat within a smaller radius; when gun-front at least. Here are some obscure(d) shots of the Merkava prototype, should be easy to ID the base vehicle. [​IMG] [​IMG]
  12. FFS the recoil is at most 12" how the **** is that going to recoil outside the turret ring, have any of you lot actually crewed a real tank
  13. Been inside a Sherman, had a ride or two in a warrior does that help.
  14. the size of main armament in a tank is governed by the recoil, the breach block must have enough room to recoil to it's full extent, in the Sherman this was a problem, so the rear of the turret was extended in the "Firefly" and the radios moved to accommodate the more powerful recoil of the 17pdr gun, so the gun cannot recoil outside the diameter of the turret ring, as the casavac/ammo space in the Merkava is below the turret ring it has nothing to do with the gun recoil
  15. In your day of course, they had sponson-mounted guns rather than turrets.

• Like Like x 1