Meritous Service Medal (MSM)

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by SpeckledJim, Jul 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see a guy in the Corps has just been awarded the Meritous Service Medal (MSM) - bloody good effort. Odds on that he was'nt written up by one of our own. We seem to be totally unable to write up our guys for awards. It's pretty standard for any bog standard CO from your average "fish and chip Regt" to get at least an MBE for a tour in war torn BLMF. It is dangerous there, honest, the coffee in the ECOS could burn your lips and the locals have been known to look threatening at troops. I can't remember the last time one of our CO's got something. Not sure where the problem is, the quality of some the COs or Comd Meds, without gongs, not writing them or anyone else up. Comments? Before everybody leaps in, no I've never been written up for an award, despite helping a "red tab" to cross the road some time ago.

2. as a new boy on the block, I guess I should have known that this subject would have been done to death. That said, its always worth a moan. Now about the OstJ....................................

3. It has been done before, but i agree that our mob are toss at writing ourselves up for gongs

welcome to ARRSE

4. I do not know of anyone who has received an Honour (in any shape or form) from a write up from the RAMC. All those I have had a chat to have bee written up by other arms!

Mind you, look at the state of our Annual reports..............an H&A write up would be thrown out after the first trawl!

5. I do not know of anyone who has received an Honour (in any shape or form) from a write up from the RAMC.

Reminds me of an incident at 2 AFA in Kosovo '99, a lance jack intervenes in a fight between two armed families at the Pristina University hospital, restores order, very professionally done. Gets written up, but by the time it goes through all the necessary channels, the OC gets the credit and a gong despite the fact that he was the other side of the country when it all happened. Classic!

6. A guy in our place apparently wrote up his own and got his OC to sign it....
    If it works, why not!!

7. Similar story, 24 AFA (airmob then) 1992 op hanwood i think it was,
    Croatian village takes incoming arty which injures children playing in village square, lcpl herds kids to safety then returns to collect the wounded, Medical officer and SSgt cowering under table refuse to treat, LCpl orders treatment, MO and SSgt get the MBE while the LCpl got a commendation. DISGUSTING

You all know who you are you cowardly bustards

8. I know of the story of a Colonel on tour - So the Fabel goes!

Whilst sipping cocktails in the mess (on tour) a Very Senior officer says "Hello Col X, I see from your records that you haven't received a National Honour, and wondered if I could.........................."
    RAMC Col replies "If thats how they are awarded, in the mess, you can shove it up ......................... (you get the ghist)

I heard this from a reliable source, and knowing the Colonel in question, can quite believe the story.

For those guessing, the Col was a Doctor!

9. I've just noticed that I've got my first "arrse medal" - some systems work then............................

10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I know of one RAMC MSM and he's now out.

11. Personally I like the story of the Maj who was in charge of DS1B Gulf war 1 who got his Zulu time mixed up with his real time and took us over the breach in to Irac 2 hours early!!!! He did not get his MBE or BEM!!!!! I wonder why?? The screen recce banged on the back door of one of the section APC's and asked who we were, they were non too impressed and if it wasn't for someone who reccognised the profile of the vehicals as being our's they were going to blow the crap out of us!!! Well done that C.O.

12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I saw on the Gulf War Documentary that it was DS5A, but hey DS1A might have done it as well!

Not sure how this fits in with the MSM thread!

13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Why are the medics so obsessed by medals? I have my lonely one from NI and have never gone (or had the opperchancity) to go hunting for them.

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

We have so many, we can always do with some more!