MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bowser-Mong, Sep 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MY FATEHER DID 32 YEARS IN THE ARMY AND LEFT WITH AN MSM (AMONGST OTHER MEDALS). HE HAD TO COMPLETE 28 YERAS IMPECCABLE SERVICE TO ATTAIN THIS AWARD. NOWADAYS YOU ONLY HAVE TO COMPLETE 18. PLEASE COULD SOMEONE ENLIGHTEN ME AS TO WHY THIS IS. I FEEL THAT IS DEBASING THE "WORTHINESS AND RECOGNITION" OF THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF ALL MSM WINNERS (NO DISRESPECT TO THE 18 YEAR WINNERS).

2. Unless its changed?

3. I believe it's actually 27 years service, and it is possible to be awarded one as an officer, providing that the citation is written against previous service as a SNCO.

When the medal was introduced in 1845, it came with an annual annuity, which limits the number of recipients in any one year. Currently, just over half of the medals go un-awarded (my bad) due to lack of citations - or it could be that we simply don't have enough truly deserving SNCOs - which I don't believe for one minute!

In 1951, the rules were changed slightly - it is now possible to be awarded an MSM - but the annuity is paid as and when the funds become available.

As the saying goes - you've got to be in it to win it! :D

Well done to your dad, by the way, Fablon.

4. My father put in 34 years and picked up his MSM. My God could he play the system, he made Bilko look green.

5. MY FATHER IS NOW A PARASITE SORRY CIVILIANN WORKING FOR THE MOD ABROAD AND HE KNOWS OF A CERTAIN PERSON WHO HOLDS HER MAJESTY'S WARRANT (WO2/1) WHO HAS BEEN AWARDED IT FOR 18 YEARS SERVICE. THAT IS NOT A CRITICISM OF THE WO2/1 CONCERNED IF ANYONE KNOWS HIM/HER.

6. Did your father get this award for not writing in upper-case all the time? Was he able to resist the temptation to write like a troll on websites, levelling thinly veiled, ill-researched comments relating to the case of some WO2/WO1 he once heard of?

Have you considered the use of the "Caps Lock" key in order to secure yourself a decoration?

7. It appears QR's must have changed as two recipents of MSM's on this years list are known to me personally. Both are WO1's and both are RSM's. Common link for both individuals is that both have in excess of 18years service and both have less than 22. Both have been selected for the highest WO1 slots available for the respective cap badges and more to the point both are outstanding soldiers who stand out amongst their peers. In short regardless of anyone elses opinon they both deserve the award they have been given.

8. I am sure that is right about the award being fully merited.

According to my copy of QRs (to Amdt 26), the requirements to be nominated for MSM include having in excess of 20 yrs reckonable service with the Colours, not including commissioned service. Para 5.392.

9. thats a real helpful post,

10. I happen to know 2 recipients of this award, one got it after 23 years the other after 35 years, both excellent blokes.

11. No but at least I can trace my family tree further back than the milkman!!!!!!!!!

12. I am just amazed that you have found the Caps Lock key you fecking mutant. As for the the attempts to annoy me with comments about my family, you are clearly a 16 year old CCF cadet if that is the best you can do lol!

13. Children,Children do you want handbags at 20 paces??? :):):):):):):)

Sparky

14. any more childish exchanges and it will go to the naafi for a real helping of insults

15. Do you and Hellfyyr fancy a pint? My round. :cry: