Merged: The Students are Revolting/turning violent threads

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by MDFalco, Nov 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Or at least they're making a horrible noise outside my window, distracting me from work.

BBC News - Students threaten to unseat MPs over tuition fees

What do ARRSErs think about this? Is paying £27,000 (plus interest) for a degree, plus rent and living expenses fair?

Or are all those students a waste of space?
  2. What work do you do?

Remember it is the BBC reporting
  3. The interest is only linked to inflation so in real terms it would still be £27k. Also not all unis will increase their fees to the max I don't think as IIRC it costs ~£7k to educate a uni student a year, so I think it more likely fees will rise to that.

And it's their education, they're adults why should we pay for it? They are protesting over the fact that other people won't be paying for the education that they're going to benefit from.
  4. Send your pictures and videos to
  5. My view, as a graduate of a good university, is that university is not for everyone.

Labour increased uni places, but the calibre of students had not suddenly grown. This meant we found sub standard students and sb standard universities doing mickey mouse courses. Consequently the "graduate schemes" were flooded, and the overall value of a degree was diluted.

If we closed some of the worse universities, their funding could be diverted elsewhere, meaning the costs wouldn't have to go up so much. Thousands of young people need vocational training that will give them a trade, not a joke degree from a second rate institute and the false dream of walking into an amazing graduate job. Get people in apprenticeships etc......there is no shame in it.
  6. It doesn't help the fact that almost 50% of school leavers think they have right of passage to Uni, therefore watering down the value of a degree.
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It's one hell of a lot of money - but it's also one hell of an investment too. They're (mostly) too young to have bad credit ratings, which means the money can be borrowed, and if they keep their heads down and work hard, the sky is the limit in terms of earning potential when they actually get their degrees. £27,000 now plus interest could well turn into a return of £50,000 per annum or £500,000 per annum income on the back of their qualifications in time. Even teachers get over £30k per annum and they don't even work a full day, let alone the same number of days per annum that everyone else has to.

Another good thing is that it incentivises the feckless to actually get that degree, rather than fill their faces full of booze and drugs before dropping out - the uni bill will still need paying.
  8. msr

msr LE

That depends on whether you see it as a private benefit to the individual or a public benefit for the country.

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Everyone with a job is a public benefit to the country, but the state isn't paying me to work.
  10. I'm a random desk jobber in MB, not wearing uniform today. I'm not coming at this from any political POV, and the BBC article just happened to be the first one I picked up. I know that readers of this forum have diverse, interesting and often amusing responses to random current affairs issues, and just wondered what people's reactions were to what's happening outside.

I would add a 'shrug' smiley, but can't find one.
  11. I am a student and frankly this whole revolt thing pisses me off, out of those 20,000 students who are marching, how many voted? Probably feck all, if they had voted in the first place then maybe they wouldn't have this problem. We live in a generation where people think its acceptable just to be handed loans for their education, I have two jobs while studying, one being the TA and I cope fine, im richer now then I have ever been, I think the soap dodgers who complain they cant afford it should actually get a job while they study and start paying it off ASAP rather then moaning, Rant over.
  12. I can also be a bit of a smug git on this as well. When I went the Government paid you to go :) , but only 5-10% went on to Uni then.
  13. Once again Uni will become the peserve of the rich and titled, just how the Tories have wanted for decades. The LibDems should commit Seppuku for being a part of this nonsense.
  14. Buy a massive bag of lentils and throw them through the window, they'll run after them like the flying rats, they'll quieten for a while.
  15. I agree. When I did my degree, only 5% of people were graduates.NuLab totally devalued the currency by setting a ludicrous target of 50% of school leavers going to university and we ended up with a shortage of skilled trades but with loads of graduates who couldn't even wire a plug.
    Funding wise , I think important degrees ( medicine , engineering , physics, mathematics ,etc) should attract either a grant or a scholarship from a potential employer conditional on the graduate putting in x number of years for the sponsor , in the same way as bursaries and cadetships work.
    We should also consider funding places for veterans , in the same way as the States.The danger is you can attract recruits who are a ) too clever for their proposed trade/ role and b) Have joined for the wrong reason.That said , you'd have plenty to choose from , so hopefully the recruitment process would filter out the unsuitable candidates.
    Given the appetite for cuts at the moment , I am surprised the suggestion of closing some of the worst universities has not even been considered . Probably because it will reflect in jobless figures.