Merged Real IRA BAck in Business and other PIRA/RIRA Threads

Herrumph said:
It is always worth a good look at the IRA's Green Book. Once you are a member you are always a member - you can't just write a letter of resignation, hand back any kit and slip away.

Once a terrorist always a terrorist (and yes same applies to Mandela and others!) unless you take your punishment, repent and renounce violence of course

Much like Cosa Nostra. But you forget, Gerry was never in! :lol:

This is what would alway happen after Bliar surrendered to the terrorists, put most of them in government, gave them power and released the murderers from prison; they decide to keep pushing the government, in the hope that we will appease them further. No chance; we crush them. The IRA are and always were cowards only prepared to follow the cause when it didn't hurt them too much; if they see a firm response from the powers that be, then they will go back to their farms and carry on claiming EU benefits.

Bravo_Zulu said:
This is what would alway happen after Bliar surrendered to the terrorists, put most of them in government, gave them power and released the murderers from prison; they decide to keep pushing the government, in the hope that we will appease them further. No chance; we crush them. The IRA are and always were cowards only prepared to follow the cause when it didn't hurt them too much; if they see a firm response from the powers that be, then they will go back to their farms and carry on claiming EU benefits.

Their two leaders may be of that ilk, but some, such as the hunger strikers, though I didn't agree with their cause, showed courage.

KevinB said:
Their two leaders may be of that ilk, but some, such as the hunger strikers, though I didn't agree with their cause, showed courage.

That's the same type of courage you have when you stand at the exit station of the balloon over Abingdon/BZ for the first time; in truth, you're more fearful of going back down in the cage than of jumping. When you're in a prison cell for what you think will be the rest of your life and a chance of making it worthwhile to your 'cause' pops up courtesy of PSF's propaganda department, you're likely to take it, because your name will be up in lights as an Irish Revolutionary Legend. Then, when the hunger pains start, you know you can't go back or you'll be the one who whimped out.

Real courage rarely involves suicide.

Talk to prison officers of the time and you get a very different picture of the "courage" of the hunger-strikers. Some of them were supervised and encouraged nearly 24 hrs a day to make sure they didn't give up the "brave fight". Priests, family and PIRA commanders kept them from giving up.

Saved a fortune in food IMHO.

As I said, obviously I don't believe in their cause, but hunger striking has a deep history in Ireland - from way before the Norman invasion - so I do believe these men knew what they were doing - and volunteered for it. Read 'Bobby Sand's Diary' and you'll see what I mean. And also remember, the screws and prisoners understandably had a very antagonistic relationship. Anyway, the point is, to die this way is hideous. Usually in the third week, once stores of fat are exhausted, the body actually starts to consume itself. To me, dying like this certainly takes courage.

In short, not something Martin or Gerry would ever contemplate.

KevinB said:

Probably because there's nothing left inside to consume.

Check this classic exchange :-

Paxman vs McGuiness (video)

KevinB said:
Technocratic_Turbine said:
KevinB said:

After listening to that, will say one thing for McGuinness - he is a master of dissembling.

No, I don't think so. He's just a standard proponent of the Provisional SF/IRA tactic of repeating the same crap over and over and over and over and over and over....

...until everyone else gets tired of trying to apply reason to what is an argument not based in reason and gives up. Or starts to believe the crap, of course.

(The other side of this PSF tactic is, of course, the 'long silence', where after one or other of their dreadful deeds, nobody in the 'Party' says anything at all, while the rest of the world wails and gnashes its' teeth. After a suitable interval they start to talk about the weather, or more often, British Atrocities Against the Irish/Collusion. Both tactics are still used whenever there's a robbery or murder sanctioned by the usual suspects).

Whiskybreath said:
KevinB said:
Technocratic_Turbine said:
KevinB said:

After listening to that, will say one thing for McGuinness - he is a master of dissembling.

No, I don't think so. He's just a standard proponent of the Provisional SF/IRA tactic of repeating the same crap over and over and over and over and over and over....

...until everyone else gets tired of trying to apply reason to what is an argument not based in reason and gives up. Or starts to believe the crap, of course.

(The other side of this PSF tactic is, of course, the 'long silence', where after one or other of their dreadful deeds, nobody in the 'Party' says anything at all, while the rest of the world wails and gnashes its' teeth. After a suitable interval they start to talk about the weather, or more often, British Atrocities Against the Irish/Collusion. Both tactics are still used whenever there's a robbery or murder sanctioned by the usual suspects).

Mate, is what dissembling is - and is SF's tactic! Anyway, Techno, thanks for the link - was very interesting.

purple_foot

Old-Salt
Herrumph said:
Talk to prison officers of the time and you get a very different picture of the "courage" of the hunger-strikers. Some of them were supervised and encouraged nearly 24 hrs a day to make sure they didn't give up the "brave fight". Priests, family and PIRA commanders kept them from giving up.

Saved a fortune in food IMHO.

I remember being told by those in the know about the real reason why the prisoners turned to a hunger strike over their previous "blanket" protest.

To those who don't know the details, the PIRA prisoners saw themselves as political prisoners rather than criminals, so refused to wear the regulation prison uniforms. They instead took to wearing only blankets in protest, & eventually started defecating in their own cells & were even decorating the walls with their own excrement.

They all thought they were pretty damn clever until the prison officers came up with a solution - the prisoners were content to live in their own sh!t so the prison officers simply arranged for them all to swap cells - the prisoners were dragged out of their own cells & thrown into another cell full of somone elses faecal matter! :twisted:

I must admit that I laughed for some time over that little bit of ingenuity from the screws! :D

KevinB said:
Mate, is what dissembling is - and is SF's tactic!

Similar, but not quite. Dissembling involves misdirection, while the PSF tactic/strategy has the Big Lie at its' heart. Curiously, New Labour's good at this, too.

Whiskybreath said:
KevinB said:
Mate, is what dissembling is - and is SF's tactic!

Similar, but not quite. Dissembling involves misdirection, while the PSF tactic/strategy has the Big Lie at its' heart. Curiously, New Labour's good at this, too.

dis·sem·ble - To disguise or conceal one's real nature, motives, or feelings behind a false appearance.

Um, mate, when McGuinness told Jeremy 'he hadn't got facts' about Martin's RA membership, or when he said he left the RA 30 years ago, in 1974, or when he said, 'Gerry Adams was told by the RA...but I'm going to go into that' (how he was told), or when he said SF was dedicated to using purely political means, is dissembling. But I agree, they also employ straight out lying too. What else is new in politics? You should hear the presidential candidates over here!

alib

LE
That Paxman interview above is priceless. The great thing with SF is their resolute ability to tell huge porkies with a straight face and then be righteously outraged when no one believes them.

Big Ian:"Gerry Adams should shave off that beard then I could call him a bare faced liar"

Well if Marty left PIRA in 74 rather than being the dedicated terrorist of the historical record then he's a man who calms down in a couple of years. The newsletter now has him saying "I would have killed every single British Soldier" after bloody Sunday.

Yes, the pity about that interview was that Paxo didn't have any facts at his command. Only hearsay and innuendo, which is all that's in the public domain. If only some of the real evidence was to be released...

But it won't happen, because the political reputation of both Labour and Conservative politicians is on the line. I remember watching at a window in Castlereagh when he was last arrested and brought in; he stood at ease in the car park for about half an hour, quite relaxed and happy to chat to his guard, knowing that most of Belfast SB were watching him. He knew he was fireproof.

This sort of story keeps the loathing alive.
"If I had of had the opportunity to kill every single British soldier that was on the streets of Derry I would have killed every single one of them without any difficulty whatsoever."
No word about the current atmosphere of reconciliation he's supposed to be in charge of. And this is a very senior member of Northern Ireland's Governing body, supposedly representative of all the people there.

"If I had of had the opportunity to kill every single British soldier that was on the streets of Derry I would have killed every single one of them without any difficulty whatsoever."

Actually, this is just a bone to the hardline republicans. Purely tactical. I am sure Marty loves us. :wink:

KevinB said:

A few extra words and you have disassembling

Some thing that bastard is probably still smug about.

Check this watered down American version of the Troubles :-

Captain Planet

Where were the tree hugging Greenpeace when we needed them :roll:

An IRA killer has been sentenced to life in prison at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin.

Robert Duffy, originally from Belfast, was released under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement seven years ago.

He pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of Colin O'Neill at the Emerald Bar in Dundalk in March 2007.

The court heard that Duffy, who had had a row with Mr O'Neill, put a shotgun to his face and fired once, before shooting him again in the back.

He was sentenced to life in prison for attempted murder.

In 1996 Duffy was given a life sentence in Northern Ireland for the murder of John Gibson in 1993.

He worked for a construction firm hired by the Royal Ulster Constabulary.

Duffy served four years before being released under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

Link

Some one needs to remind me whether it was the peace or 'release' process. Although this was done by individual thuggery rather than sanctioned by the IRA.

Latest Threads