Merged Libya threads

Why would anyone think he would act otherwise? Look how he came to power and how he has maintained his grip on power all these years. It wasn't by being everyone's favourite Uncle.
Not surprising in the least. It will be interesting to see how the political map of North Africa and the Middle East looks in 6 months time though.

YouTube - ‫

What I have read this morning is that foreign mercs are doing the killing, the Army are torn.

Have to say that I do not know whether this is Libya or Tunisia.

Is that a Brit landy?

Puts kettling into perspective !!!

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
its the way that the dictatorial regimes and their western backers are trying to blame it on islamism - they are sectarian in nature as the people have had enough of western interference and oil based war mongering.

the shah went the other way and blamed communism

Not surprising in the least. It will be interesting to see how the political map of North Africa and the Middle East looks in 6 months time though.
I agree, it's possible that we may be approaching a tipping point of sorts for regimes across the mid-east now that Libyans and Iranians have taken to the streets. These are arguably the two most repressive regimes in the region. It will be interesting to see what happens next in say Syria or Saudi Arabia (both equally equally repressive/reactionary) or even Jordan, one of the more 'enlightened' mid-east countries. Personally, I am not expecting much to happen in any of these, though they all have the same underlying problems; a very young population, high youth unemployment, corruption etc.

I did see a single report in the BBC earlier this week that there had even been protests in the Kurdish region of northern Iraq, but nothing more about that since.

I wonder will Tony Blair take a trip down there now to give Daffy duck another hug in a tent?

PS it take's some balls to still come out on the streets when all you have is rocks facing goons with MG's and sniper rifles shooting from helicopters..

its the way that the dictatorial regimes and their western backers are trying to blame it on islamism - they are sectarian in nature as the people have had enough of western interference and oil based war mongering.
Gadfafi a stodge of western Imperialism? er....no, and quite happy to play the Islamic card when it suits.

Nice to see the BBC picking up the Libya story, only a week late. Strange that they've managed to cheer on the protesters in Egypt and elsewhere (stopped doing analysis and real journalism years ago) where they are relatively safe but haven't made a big thing about Libya until now, nothing to do with the BBC's traditional background of support for Gadaffi's anti-Western stance at all or the fear of being shot for the 'wrong story?

And even odder, you'd have thought all those brave journalists would be queuing up to enter the Peoples' State illegally to take any risk to bring us the un-spun news, but no, relying on youtube and anyone they can grab off the street.....journalists cnuts the lot of them

And even odder, you'd have thought all those brave journalists would be queuing up to enter the Peoples' State illegally to take any risk to bring us the un-spun news, but no, relying on youtube and anyone they can grab off the street.....journalists cnuts the lot of them
One gets buggered in Egypt and they've all gone yeller-belly. ;)
Cnuts indeed.

One things for certain the Gadaffi don't **** around...
Didn't Sky News have some newsreel of "Gadaffi" joining the protests earlier in the week, apparently he was filmed riding around on the front of a truck, showing what a man of the people he really was. I wonder how many body doubles the cowardly "colonel" has?