Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merge the three Services

I've flashed - majorly - about this.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Surprised you’ve not hear about it!

We're part-timers, nobody talks to us (no matter how hard we try...) Unless you've been to sea recently, or are new enough to have been issued PCS instead of 4s, most of us haven't even got 'classic PCS' yet.

Honestly don’t get why we have to be the special ones with our own rig when the other services cut about in PCS just fine. Not one person I’ve spoken to actually likes the look of this.

At one point a few of us were wearing MTP (with RN berets and flashes) up at a JFC site of a weekend. More comfortable than 3s, hides the coffee stains better, blends in with the majority Army / some RAF.

2SL sends a snottygram around (doubt we were the cause, merely caught in the WCER) about how he wants sailors to look like sailors and that MTP is only to be worn when strictly directed.

I get asked to do a short seagoing trip - no problem, sounds like fun (it was, if hard work) and I got a few weeks on QNLZ out of it. Of course I needed PCS. Could I get it? Of course not, you're RNR, you're not authorised, your unit stores (that we don't have) should sort it out... if the XO hadn't done some warrant-officer sorcery I'd have rocked up in MTP and mumbled about how "is cause I are speshul, nudge nudge, wink wink..." (wouldn't even have stood out, there were various Army/RM involved)

I don't mind wearing uniform, but I get mildly cross when I'm bollocked for not wearing a rig that nobody will issue me, and - having gone through all that - presumably I'll need to do it all again for "new PCS"?

Harrumph!

Last edited:
Maybe, but thats not the same as having the MOD one budget theory.
They clearly are not the same thing, but it’s the original argument:

You bad multiple services cost too much money and keep trying to get more on your share, so you should become one Defence thing with one budget (Which already exists as the MoD) and merge so you have only one of anything (merge the services, merge the HQs etc)

They clearly are not the same thing, but it’s the original argument:

You bad multiple services cost too much money and keep trying to get more on your share, so you should become one Defence thing with one budget (Which already exists as the MoD) and merge so you have only one of anything (merge the services, merge the HQs etc)

Thats like saying there is one budget for the entire country, whatever the treasury pays out.
There can be savings in merging the forces the same as most other businesses.

A question should be is there a need to have three services and if so what is it?

Mattb

LE
Honestly don’t get why we have to be the special ones with our own rig when the other services cut about in PCS just fine.
As I understand it, the MTP fabric isn't rated the same for fire protection as the RN PCS fabric - it's also why it's worn with a cotton t-shirt instead of the wicking one worn with MTP. Horses for courses.

I don't see any problem with tweaking the current PCS, but as per @jrwlynch above it shouldn't be a separate rig, just a gradual replacement of existing stocks with either considered correct for wear (indeed, there are certainly at least two versions of MTP PCS, both of which are fine for wear).

As I understand it, the MTP fabric isn't rated the same for fire protection as the RN PCS fabric - it's also why it's worn with a cotton t-shirt instead of the wicking one worn with MTP. Horses for courses.

I don't see any problem with tweaking the current PCS, but as per @jrwlynch above it shouldn't be a separate rig, just a gradual replacement of existing stocks with either considered correct for wear (indeed, there are certainly at least two versions of MTP PCS, both of which are fine for wear).

And yet we still have people cut about it on ship any way (Army, RAF and Royal Marines members of ships company are not allowed to wear RNPCS as directed by 2SL as they haven’t “earned the right” apparently). 3’s aren’t fire retardant either but some ships *cough* QE *cough* still expect you to wear it as night uniform. Unless you’re part of the duty watch / fire party’s there’s no need to be in fire retardant uniform all the time (if there was, we wouldn’t wear civilian clothes on ship once we finish work for the day when alongside) so why not wear what ever and those responsible for being the immediate response can wear the fire retardant overalls all day (that we all have a pair of anyway) and the rest go do what they need to do to fight a fire as and when (when I was the IC of the fire fighting support party the first thing I did was take off my RNPCS top anyway to put on the fire fighting jacket otherwise it gets too hot to wear).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Inter service is not always genial. Memories of a targeting course at Cranwell when a BC with me looked at Trechard's portrait and enquired who was the elderly Confederate General ?

That's not the way it works though, how many times have you seen the military use a budget from X because the one in Y has already been used.
What’s wrong with that? A budget is a forward looking plan and we all know that plans don’t stand contact with the enemy.

The old, pre-NMS system of votes was rigid; money was allocated from the centre for an activity and lost back to the centre if not used. At least the budget structure pushes responsibility down to a level where money can be flexed as priorities change.

What’s wrong with that? A budget is a forward looking plan and we all know that plans don’t stand contact with the enemy.

The old, pre-NMS system of votes was rigid; money was allocated from the centre for an activity and lost back to the centre if not used. At least the budget structure pushes responsibility down to a level where money can be flexed as priorities change.
I didnt say it was good or bad merely pointing out it's not as simple as one budget.
However for the benefit of all the big time businessmen out there who were busy with the multi million pound deals during their time in the army, multiple budgets end up with things like, we cant afford to pay the civvie armourer to come in on the Sunday so everyone is staying in the field a day longer because the LSA for a sqn/regt comes from a different budget.

Go farther, let the Royal Armoured Corps man all AFVs, most of which need a driver/commander/gunner/ radio operator, and put Royal Infantry Corps passengers in the back.
You could then merge RAC and RIC, and call them Dragoons.
7A9714CD-2DB6-4CA5-A5FB-85488EE7CB23.jpeg

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We're part-timers, nobody talks to us (no matter how hard we try...) Unless you've been to sea recently, or are new enough to have been issued PCS instead of 4s, most of us haven't even got 'classic PCS' yet.

At one point a few of us were wearing MTP (with RN berets and flashes) up at a JFC site of a weekend. More comfortable than 3s, hides the coffee stains better, blends in with the majority Army / some RAF.

2SL sends a snottygram around (doubt we were the cause, merely caught in the WCER) about how he wants sailors to look like sailors and that MTP is only to be worn when strictly directed.

I get asked to do a short seagoing trip - no problem, sounds like fun (it was, if hard work) and I got a few weeks on QNLZ out of it. Of course I needed PCS. Could I get it? Of course not, you're RNR, you're not authorised, your unit stores (that we don't have) should sort it out... if the XO hadn't done some warrant-officer sorcery I'd have rocked up in MTP and mumbled about how "is cause I are speshul, nudge nudge, wink wink..." (wouldn't even have stood out, there were various Army/RM involved)

I don't mind wearing uniform, but I get mildly cross when I'm bollocked for not wearing a rig that nobody will issue me, and - having gone through all that - presumably I'll need to do it all again for "new PCS"?

Harrumph!

Interesting to note the Andrew treat their reservists in a similar manner to the army! :(

In_Twists

Old-Salt

Fucked the issue wicking t shirts off on day one of issue. Use any olive/sand colour tshirt with the capbadge on it!!

Fucked the issue wicking t shirts off on day one of issue. Use any olive/sand colour tshirt with the capbadge on it!!

They’re better than the crap blue cotton ones we get! 1 wash and they’re useless for wear after becoming stretched and misshapen. Only time I’ve worn an issued t-shirt was for my command course.

bob231

War Hero
They’re better than the crap blue cotton ones we get! 1 wash and they’re useless for wear after becoming stretched and misshapen. Only time I’ve worn an issued t-shirt was for my command course.

Mine are still going strong after three years!

They are significantly smaller and paler than when issued, mind. Luckily worn mostly under ovies so that they don't really tuck in properly is less of a snag.

Latest Threads