Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merge the three Services

All very interesting this budgeting thing but what about our thoughts on a joint force?
The original premise of the suggestion was to combine a joint force for cost savings, hence the budgetary & common items ....... (not to just make another media soundbite to distract and set off the outrage bus)

IIRC NMS was initiated during Michael Heseltine’s time as Secretary of State; 83-86. Approaching 40 years ago.
34-37 years, so allowing a bit of bedding in before I was tasked with interpreting resource accounting then I’m slightly less old than verging to doing something ‘almost 40 years ago

34-37 years, so allowing a bit of bedding in before I was tasked with interpreting resource accounting then I’m slightly less old than verging to doing something ‘almost 40 years ago
Were NMS and RAB the same thing. IIRC NMS brought the TLB structure and moved from defence votes to budgets. It was first Thatcher government stuff from Howe’s tine as Chancellor.

RAB and the move from cash to accruals accounting came later; early to mid 90s? I thought it was Major / Lamont stuff.

All very interesting this budgeting thing but what about our thoughts on a joint force?
Aren’t the two inextricably linked? Unless there’s a coherent case for amalgamation improving operational capability, then it’s all about budgets. Fraser’s comments were all about eliminating the inter TLB budget shitfight.

IMHO all it would do is move the problem; whether you have a single defence force or three separate services, you’d still have To have some form of budget structure. And you’d still have competition for resources between TLBs and below.

Mattb

LE
I suppose one major problem will be forcing the Navy and RAF to wear cam cream so they have the martial mindset.
OK, but can we have blue cam cream so that it goes with our PCS?

Military policing is a good example. There are lots of them. Enough to make the Chief Constable of a sizeable metropolitan force weep. They aren’t really doing any policing, or keeping any skill set up. A senior copper was asked to review this and all three services came up with excuses why they should be separate.
Yet their superstructure is massive. I left the cops 20 years ago when a big station was run by a few inspectors who were run ragged. The gods only know what it is like now.
Warrant Officers in RMP spend their time reminding kids about cleanliness of vehicles.
Severely underemployed horde right there. They have had the HO training, swear ‘em in as specials and get the gap filled.
As an ex-reg turned copper and RMP STAB I found that for route signing and traffic control they were excellent, at 'police work' they were pretty mediocre, at investigation they were hopeless without a confession, and don't even get me started on the 'NBC Recce role' ( detector paper on boots and the one NIAD in the stores that may possibly work, blundering along until one of them told you that you were contaminated.)

Don’t worry, we’re getting another new uniform in 9 months time- moving to not PCS but still PCS which will add to costs having a totally new design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alamo

LE
The original premise of the suggestion was to combine a joint force for cost savings, hence the budgetary & common items ....... (not to just make another media soundbite to distract and set off the outrage bus)
It won’t. It will cost a fortune as people piss about with things they don’t understand.

Polyester

War Hero
Can we have hot pink? I’d like it to offset my eyes.

Truxx

LE
It won’t. It will cost a fortune as people piss about with things they don’t understand.
You know that

I know that

And yet if someone somewhere has a big enough bee in their bonnet then it will happen

And the only way that they will get any perceived saving will be to bin capability, mass or standards along the way.

A chum of mine (fast stream CS now very sadly deceased due to leukaemia in his 30s) was placed on the DCS "Implementation" team. His job was to make the question fit the answer. In other word to get the recommendations to be accepted ( form a single permanent Joint Operational HQ) he had to take a chainsaw to more than a few other things)

So @bobthebuilder is correct, things are intertwined but at the macro level can be spun any way anyone wishes.

It also won’t happen.
The soundbite is that the 3 single services should merge into one entity with one budget - they already are - it’s the MoD
It’s just another pre Defence review headline, and just makes a change in contrast to all the other recent versions that it doesn’t bring up that the big scary Cummings will sort them out if they don’t do it themselves

The soundbite is that the 3 single services should merge into one entity with one budget - they already are - it’s the MoD

That's not the way it works though, how many times have you seen the military use a budget from X because the one in Y has already been used.

And the same would follow from a merged ‘defence force’

Maybe, but thats not the same as having the MOD one budget theory.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Don’t worry, we’re getting another new uniform in 9 months time- moving to not PCS but still PCS which will add to costs having a totally new design.

Oh, good, another change of rig to get us in trouble where, coming, we get told "you've got to be in the right uniform or you can't attend", and going we're told "you're not authorised to draw that, and you should go through the unit stores you haven't had for a decade to get it".

Bah. Humbug. I'm going to start turning to in 4s and see what happens... might even get some old DPM out of the loft.

Oh, good, another change of rig to get us in trouble where, coming, we get told "you've got to be in the right uniform or you can't attend", and going we're told "you're not authorised to draw that, and you should go through the unit stores you haven't had for a decade to get it".

Surprised you’ve not hear about it!

Honestly don’t get why we have to be the special ones with our own rig when the other services cut about in PCS just fine. Not one person I’ve spoken to actually likes the look of this.

Rainbow design, mayhap?

Latest Threads