Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merge the three Services

If you read Howard Flight or any of the tax-payer alliance statements, you'll see why we don't do things in-house anymore: the public sector is intrinsically bad, and thus by automatically getting the private sector involved, we will save money, and conveniently put profit in their pocket.

If I could make one change I'd have the RAF run all stores. They are amazing. They do this thing where if you ask for something, they issue it to you.

Revolutionary.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
You mean they don't have a sign up like "Don't go away discontented **** off"

If I could make one change I'd have the RAF run all stores. They are amazing. They do this thing where if you ask for something, they issue it to you.

Revolutionary.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

A while ago I was seconded to Trenchard Lines at Upavon - lots of gold braid and red tabs, but a decent cafe (I was a mere Sgt).

Because the stores there were used to dealing with seniors they were very happy to help - I offloaded x2 MFO boxes of old stuff I hadn’t touched in years (including PT not used since basic training).

I also found that wearing cords, shirt, jumper and Barbour jacket makes the storeman assume you’re are a grown up and a change in attitude results. By the time the kit is on the counter and they are taking your details it is too late to fob you off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect if the politicians ever properly defined the role of the Armed Forces the response would be more along the lines "We can do this, this and this but that and that No, unless you spend more money"

I once heard a rather senior officer explain that Government had been told that for the RAF to do ‘X’ would take ‘Y’ amount of time.

Come Libya and they managed to pull it out of the bag, all hands to the pumps and cut that time in half. The government then assumes that the military is being very conservative in its estimates - and the RAF has shot itself in the foot through its competence and very hard work on one occasion.

I think @Truxx has answered that one and he’s right. Across government there is huge waste arising from managing finances to comply with Treasury rules. There’s also huge waste arising from the basic doctrine of cost lying where they fall. In other words, dump costs on those who can accept them.

Not the same as wasting cam cream though.

You are right it isnt, cam cream is something officers at regimental level can sort out and save money.

Except those who think its provides martial mindset on a tech exercise.

When I read about people being dismissive of small savings as irrelevant, I am reminded of Dave Brailsford, the coach of the very successful GB cycling team. When asked why they had been so successful in various Olympiads and other games, he replied that it wasn't down to any single thing, but was an aggregate of very small margins.

When I read about people being dismissive of small savings as irrelevant, I am reminded of Dave Brailsford, the coach of the very successful GB cycling team. When asked why they had been so successful in various Olympiads and other games, he replied that it wasn't down to any single thing, but was an aggregate of very small margins.
Certain people are dismissive because they wont get much credit for it.

I once heard a rather senior officer explain that Government had been told that for the RAF to do ‘X’ would take ‘Y’ amount of time.

Come Libya and they managed to pull it out of the bag, all hands to the pumps and cut that time in half. The government then assumes that the military is being very conservative in its estimates - and the RAF has shot itself in the foot through its competence and very hard work on one occasion.

Very selective in your “quotes”.

Union Jack

Old-Salt
Have any present-day sailors served on a ship commanded by an equivalent of Captain Queeg?

What did you think of your captain, did you consider staging a mutiny?
A certain SSBN captain, now deceased, was reputed to be very hard to deal with but, fortunately for nearly all concerned, the XO was very successful at keeping things on an even keel.

Jack

Mattb

LE
I can't speak for T23/T45 but on no manning diagrams for T26 have I seen Flight being embarked with their own chef.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
A bit of an oversight given the "Chinook-capable" flight deck; I'd have thought 2 Michelin Stars and 24hr concierge desk just in case the RAF come aboard.

Despite it now approaching 40 years since NMS was rolled across the MoD and other public sector organisations, few have really addressed their cost base from top to bottom and connected it to outputs.
Sod off ..... surely it’s got to be closer to 30 something rather than ‘approaching 40 years’
I left budgets after converting our ABC for resource accounting

Its starts in Bicester where it is placed on a shelf, it will probably be subject to a stock take once a year, it has to be transported to which ever unit has ordered it,
Not necessarily. I’m not familiar with the clothing supply chain, but was invoked in a different commodity.

Back in the olden days there were stocks all over the place from donnington & Bicester to regions, almost local warehouses, QMs and then down to issue. All handled, transported, accounted and stockchecked all the way
Things went down to direct supply contracts, so depending on the item and use we changed to either reduced stock at the ‘almost local’ warehouse or purchase on demand with a contract delivery time of up to 6 weeks.

As we dropped down to no stock holding except for QMs the most mundane item, required for a long planned activity with repeated messaging about the change regularly resulted in Friday phone calls because they sent over a demand on Tuesday and haven’t received anything yet ready for the activity on Monday morning
We don’t have any, the supplier is manufacturing them .... and yes Bicester do have some, but it’s the short time reserve for shipping out to operations

I would expect QMs to hold a clothing selection for exchange based on their turnover, and anything central to be a reserve rather than a central stock

Not necessarily. I’m not familiar with the clothing supply chain, but was invoked in a different commodity.

Back in the olden days there were stocks all over the place from donnington & Bicester to regions, almost local warehouses, QMs and then down to issue. All handled, transported, accounted and stockchecked all the way
Things went down to direct supply contracts, so depending on the item and use we changed to either reduced stock at the ‘almost local’ warehouse or purchase on demand with a contract delivery time of up to 6 weeks.

As we dropped down to no stock holding except for QMs the most mundane item, required for a long planned activity with repeated messaging about the change regularly resulted in Friday phone calls because they sent over a demand on Tuesday and haven’t received anything yet ready for the activity on Monday morning
We don’t have any, the supplier is manufacturing them .... and yes Bicester do have some, but it’s the short time reserve for shipping out to operations

I would expect QMs to hold a clothing selection for exchange based on their turnover, and anything central to be a reserve rather than a central stock

I just checked with someone who works at Bicester, apparently the its Donnington who does most of the clothing now and they still sent it to the QMs.

Truxx

LE
IIRC NMS was initiated during Michael Heseltine’s time as Secretary of State; 83-86. Approaching 40 years ago.
Which is why these days it is lost. If it appears at all it is " management srategy" Presumably because, being 40 plus years old it is no longer new.

Most use RAB without the slightest idea what it means.

All very interesting this budgeting thing but what about our thoughts on a joint force?

I suppose one major problem will be forcing the Navy and RAF to wear cam cream so they have the martial mindset.

Latest Threads