Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merge the three Services

Stacker

How long does a battle camp at Otterburn last ? A week - 2 weeks - Time limitations apply.

How long do you think an average CT2 exercise in the RLC lasts?

But instead of doing trade training, the Jonny Rambos of the RLC want to be seen looking warry.

Fill your boots. Water off a ducks back. I said to someone else yesterday that I would not do this but would you tell the boys and girls how come you didn't reach warrant rank?

I sense somehow that Defence might have missed out.

I was a 12 year Lcpl jack, I got my SSgt by my 19 do I was a but late to party.
In my last unit the first year I was there they promoted 1 biff supplier and 1 fit supplier, 2nd year 1 biff supplier, third year 1 biff supplier. Ability to do your job didnt figure much into peoples SJAR.

Maybe I could have done better, but there is certainly a mindset of officers some who may have done 30 plus years who dont like seniors pointing out the bellendish things their unit does. Because that would mean acknowledging they are doing bellendish things. They would look pretty stupid if it became apparent they were doing things for no other reason than they always have.
For example, silly old sods who think wearing cam cream on some tech exercises means the lads have "Martial mindset" for example. Not "we are going to have an infantry based exercise, the toms are going to do section IC/2ic, it will be live firing, some GPMG usage, maybe some booby traps while patrolling, the RSM/Adjt is going to be taken prisoner, this area needs an explosive placed without the guards being alerted, some escape and evasion and possible some interrogation etc" because that couldnt possibly fire up a bit of fighting spirit, instead wearing cam cream while you drive the J-Cab will make you feel like Rambo.

On the AR site there must be 40 odd religions some of which I've never heard of. It would be impractical to expect 40 odd different Padres to follow a unit around. The ones the army has now are just because of history.
I think I'm right in saying the Sikhs, Muslims and possibly Jews dont have a serving chaplain (or equivalent).

My current reserve unit has a Sikh padre - one of the first. She is a blinding good padre and a great asset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The question is why?
What is the operational requirement that a monkey has to be RM trained.
There might well be one, but I'm struggling to see it.

The requirement as I see it is that the person operating in that position has to be commando trained.

Same as there is a police element that is airborne trained - so that they are able to operate effectively alongside their brigade and enter into the theatre with that brigade.

Military Police do not just fit up naughty service-men. They can provide very useful skills in the battle space. Collection of evidence to an evidential standard is one. Basic advice on legal matters regarding to arrest at the tactical level, traffic control (for our Cold War warrior friends), investigation of crimes committed in the battle space, etc. Whilst there is support in the form of the legal service for some matters, at the tactical level a Service Policeman/person is more likely to be available and able to offer quick advice that is more germane to the environment.

I have served alongside RMP at the tactical level - they do bring real benefits to the battle and would be happy to do so again (although I am too bloody knackered to do so!)

I disagree. I don't know your background but if you were in the Navy at OF4/5 upwards in a HQ function you'd be exposed to this all the time and see the efforts to drive out duplication/RMC waste, increase efficiency and use that to increase operational effectiveness.

The costs are well known and getting better understood all the time. Managing that between three TLBs is the issue.
That rather illustrates my point. Efficiency is an officers sport, driven top down.

I serious doubt whether the true costs are really known. Let alone understood.

Truxx

LE
The requirement as I see it is that the person operating in that position has to be commando trained.

Same as there is a police element that is airborne trained - so that they are able to operate effectively alongside their brigade and enter into the theatre with that brigade.

Military Police do not just fit up naughty service-men. They can provide very useful skills in the battle space. Collection of evidence to an evidential standard is one. Basic advice on legal matters regarding to arrest at the tactical level, traffic control (for our Cold War warrior friends), investigation of crimes committed in the battle space, etc. Whilst there is support in the form of the legal service for some matters, at the tactical level a Service Policeman/person is more likely to be available and able to offer quick advice that is more germane to the environment.

I have served alongside RMP at the tactical level - they do bring real benefits to the battle and would be happy to do so again (although I am too bloody knackered to do so!)

Route control

There are some astonishing accounts of the breakout from Normandy with the RMP manning the numerous junctions, taking casualty after casualty but sticking with it.

They are also key to providing feedback to hqs on progress and route issues.

If you have just powered up the beach in your viking and there is all sorts of sh1t going on I thoroughly get the notion that you want - need even to be pointed in the right direction by someone who knows the score and shares your language, ttp and ethos.

I've said before, the acid test for any Army reorganisation effort is if they merge the 5 woefully understrength Guards regiments into a single regiment called The Guards with 3 full-strength battalions. If they aren't willing to do that they aren't serious.
The infantry has been hammered over the last few years, my own lot has gone from three regular and two TA battalions to one of each. The infantry existed long before anything else and it is almost (in my view) like a completely different army.

ericferret

War Hero
The problem wqith
I had cause to ring the Major in charge of the supply of RST (Ring, Sealing, Toroidal aka O seals) to explain why his arbitrary limit of four per order was unworkable. Officers are at least as capable at being jumped-up twats as ORs are.

Happens all the time in civvy street.
Our stores guy was told to ship an overstock back to Amsterdam.

4 split pins value $1, and the shipping cost was!!!!!!

Then a high value item always changed as a pair was allocated one each to two bases 100 miles apart.
So guranteed a courier delivery £400.

And on and on.

My current reserve unit has a Sikh padre - one of the first. She is a blinding good padre and a great asset.

Im not sure if that is the same one who came to my unit to speak to a couple of Sikhs, I dont think she was serving. There is a Muslim Imam to the Armed forces, but he is also not serving.

Or start with merging all the Infantry into a ”Corps” of Infantry?

Go farther, let the Royal Armoured Corps man all AFVs, most of which need a driver/commander/gunner/ radio operator, and put Royal Infantry Corps passengers in the back.
You could then merge RAC and RIC, and call them Dragoons.

I didnt know there were mandatory airborne monkeys, but if there is, then should the branches ever join there is already a template for having MPs with certain badges.

Mattb

LE
Im not sure if that is the same one who came to my unit to speak to a couple of Sikhs, I dont think she was serving. There is a Muslim Imam to the Armed forces, but he is also not serving.
A tame padre once explained to me that Muslim clerics can't become padres, as there's no regulatory body (like the CofE) for them, which is also trie of some other religions.

The problem wqith

Happens all the time in civvy street.
Our stores guy was told to ship an overstock back to Amsterdam.

4 split pins value $1, and the shipping cost was!!!!!!

Then a high value item always changed as a pair was allocated one each to two bases 100 miles apart.
So guranteed a courier delivery £400.

And on and on.

You might want to explain that to Truxx, despite his 34 years experience, he seems unaware of the additional cost stock can incur in addition to its basic cost price.

A tame padre once explained to me that Muslim clerics can't become padres, as there's no regulatory body (like the CofE) for them, which is also trie of some other religions.

The yanks managed it

That's the great thing about religion you can make it up as you go along.

Mattb

LE
That's the great thing about religion you can make it up as you go along
I think that's the point - not in HM Forces you can't. As above it is second-hand knowledge, so I'm not completely sure.

That rather illustrates my point. Efficiency is an officers sport, driven top down.

I serious doubt whether the true costs are really known. Let alone understood.

Which should include human, opportunity and sunk costs.

I think that's the point - not in HM Forces you can't. As above it is second-hand knowledge, so I'm not completely sure.

You might be right but probably because no one has tested it yet, I can guarantee if some Muslim/Sikh/Hindu (especially if they were not white) wanted to be a chaplain/priest/imam in the military, it would happen.
Very probably with senior officers fighting to be included in the photos with the first one to join.

Latest Threads