Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merge the three Services

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well, here it is, something that has been spoken about in hushed tones

Not only an MP, OK it is Ben Wallace, and a Canadian general advocating that the 'large regiment' be extended and for this to move on to a combined Armed Service - but retaining identities, ending up with a clone of the USMC.

The claim is that this would save money, mainly in sacking Generals, Admirals and Air Commodores and shutting down three HQs.

The question is - how feasible does one see this and what chances of it going ahead? I can see it being attractive to one Dominic Cummings!

Shutting down three HQs??? Yeah, right! When the RAF was downsizing about the time of 'Options', what did they do? That's right, set up an additional CHQ. Can't have the stars losing their posts can we?

Too big a change. We have to get to the Corps of Infantry first.

We could easily have Joint legal, medical.
Chaplaincy could be merged but also changed away from religious leaders to properly qualified mediators and counsellors.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Like things used to be before the TLBs were given their own budgets to manage. Plus la change!

'If the proposals are accepted, a centralised needs-based budget would spell the end of “budget envy” between the services and hastening inter-branch cooperation because, sources say, services would no longer have to weight up the cost to their individual budgets.'

Military policing is a good example. There are lots of them. Enough to make the Chief Constable of a sizeable metropolitan force weep. They aren’t really doing any policing, or keeping any skill set up. A senior copper was asked to review this and all three services came up with excuses why they should be separate.
Yet their superstructure is massive. I left the cops 20 years ago when a big station was run by a few inspectors who were run ragged. The gods only know what it is like now.
Warrant Officers in RMP spend their time reminding kids about cleanliness of vehicles.
Severely underemployed horde right there. They have had the HO training, swear ‘em in as specials and get the gap filled.

Is it? How many RMP or RAF Police personnel do you think could step straight into their equivalent role on a ship, and carry out the additional roles associated with it?

Train them then. There is nothing that goes on on a ship that is such a black art that only the NAVY can do it, despite the protestations of those so interested.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Is it? How many RMP or RAF Police personnel do you think could step straight into their equivalent role on a ship, and carry out the additional roles associated with it?
Left hand down a bit. That'll do shurley.

Train them then. There is nothing that goes on on a ship that is such a black art that only the NAVY can do it, despite the protestations of those so interested.

So at some preselected random intervals a bunch of Military Police are selected and trained on the art & law of being a cop on a ship then a few years later the process is repeated & those MPs are trained for their next posting.

I'm sorry but I can't see how this is going to save money. Can you explain how repeatedly retraining people is going to save money ?

What's so different being 'a cop on a ship' to running an RMP / RAFP det in Bastion or Basrah?

After all, aren't we constantly told that a warship is sovereign territory? And don't give me the BSSC / ISSC firefighting cr@p..................

ACAB

LE
None.

I worked on an attempted rape case with a colleague. The RMP rolled up and the difference in approach to investigating it was almost biblical.

None.

I worked on an attempted rape case with a colleague. The RMP rolled up and the difference in approach to investigating it was almost biblical.
Ah. Do your lot actually do the investigating part?

That would cost more if they were trained to do that I suppose.

ACAB

LE
Ah. Do your lot actually do the investigating part?

That would cost more if they were trained to do that I suppose.

Yes, we do.
It was a joint investigation / interview.
And the RMP case of reading it off the card is seriously disconcerting.

Apparently, going by what Canadian retired Maj Gen David Fraser say, the USMC model is now past its use by date... dead even

Maj Gen Fraser said:
The problem is that we didn’t embrace the cultural changes and take them to their logical conclusion, which would have a United States Marine Corpse model