Mercs - Interesting read on Iraq

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Rocketeer, Aug 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a long but interesting article on the use of ' private security ' in Iraq [ the need, they types and the cost ]..and just what goes on that doesn't get reported all that clearly by the newshounds on the ground..

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/081405E.shtml

hope they have a good insurance plan and hazard bonus pay..

still, they make more than the soldiers they're standing with so you got to figure its worth the effort..

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Interesting article, armies on the cheap and the governments can deny all responsibility. Not sure if it is a good idea or not.

3. Count the number of troops that have signed off to go do it....Hundreds.

4. does anyone know if our SF are giving bonuses to stop people jumping ship and going off to earn pop star wages??

5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

And this is positively encouraged by our Government. DFID for example refuse point blank to have any British Army security - 'army and reconstruction don't mix' is their view.

This results in their spending a fair proportion (not known how much, sadly) of the 'aid' budget on PSCs to guard them.

Then again, it's only Tax money, so that doesn't worry them.

6. Do you need to have worn a Maroon/Green or Sand coloured lid or do they take anybody.
    I did read of some ex-post office guys who were working out there for a yank company.
    Their weapon handling was shit but they were sure good at sorting out the mail.

7. In my little experince these guys were a pain on the gate .Probably as they had mentioned how much they got paid The palace commander had a complete sense of humour failure with them . We were detailed to send them round to the cpa gate for no reason other to fcuk them off . Unfortunatly they dressed the same and used same vechicles as brit special forces and the better off
    ones had similar weapons and used similar id methods .So theyed whizz through get stopped for speeding .we'd get a bollocking for letting security in .Next lot of sneaky beakys have to go through search bay not very nice having mess about a 4*4 full of them .
    Know 2 exstabs who have jobs in iraq one is a very switched on bloke who has done years of s types & courses and tours and is genuinly good enough to do the job .Other is a bluffer who claims to be a ex legionere . The first guy works for an established company is making good money but is high risk job .Someone claiming taken up to 1/3 casualties kia& wounded .

8. IMMEDIATE RELEASE March 1, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DoD Identifies Army Casualty
    The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Staff Sgt. Alexander B. Crackel, 31, of Wilstead Bedford, United Kingdom, died Feb. 24 in Al Anbar Province, Iraq, from injuries sustained from enemy small arms fire. Crackel was assigned to the Army's 1st Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment, Camp Hovey, Korea.

For further information related to this release, contact Army Public Affairs at (703) 692-2000.

I didn't think the US Army took UK nationals - it sure sucks if he was working towards a green card !

9. If you have a green card you are eligible to enlist. Many foreign born soldiers who have been killed in Iraq/Afghanistan have received posthumous citizenship. My condolences to SSG Crackel's family.

10. msr

msr LE

I have heard that is costs in the region of £750,000 pa to keep each DFID consultant protected/housed/clothed/fed etc in IZ

msr