Merchant Navy Day

In another world, another time, far, far away…..

I sailed on the replacement AC, late'90's / early '00's. I did a short trip from Liverpool to Antwerp. The ship was on a regular run from N.E. U.S. / Canada to N.W. Europe, Liverpool / Antwerp / Bremerhaven and some Scandinavian ports. Nice ship & accommodation but not a very social mix, everyone with their own TV in their cabins, barely saw anyone outside a working environment all the time I was on there. The ship had, at the time IIRC, a Panama flag. The senior officers were Swedish with the junior officers and crew all Fillipino.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
I sailed on the replacement AC, late'90's / early '00's. I did a short trip from Liverpool to Antwerp. The ship was on a regular run from N.E. U.S. / Canada to N.W. Europe, Liverpool / Antwerp / Bremerhaven and some Scandinavian ports. Nice ship & accommodation but not a very social mix, everyone with their own TV in their cabins, barely saw anyone outside a working environment all the time I was on there. The ship had, at the time IIRC, a Panama flag. The senior officers were Swedish with the junior officers and crew all Fillipino.

I simply couldn’t imagine the sort of monk like existence the modern seafarer endures. A crew of 16, the only person you see regularly the cook, living your life in seclusion in your cabin, and breathalysers R us..

Our generation had the best of it. Living our lives in the bar, (my liver paid a price), never a dull moment, always with someone to natter with, proper runs ashore in a world that was still strange and new, and living off the boat in hotels on expenses. When you tell the youngster about the old days, they just look at you in disbelief.

Latest Threads