Mercenary Sniper in Northern Ireland

Not sure where to post this;-but I reckon you would have to be old and bold to recall!
Was the Mercenry long distance sniper working for the provos ever identified? It was roumerd that he was former U,S. special forces also that he was an escaped convict from H.M.P. Brixton who had it on his toes with a provo named Truitt. Was the sniper ever caught or killed,or was it an urban myth?

As far as I can remember it was only speculated that a merc trained the two main teams who operated in South Armagh. I don't think any concrete evidence was ever found to prove he ever even existed.

I may be wrong though.

When I was there the rumour was that he was an ex US SF coloured chap that lived in XMG. I never saw him though, probably just a load of bollocks, but it was a good rumour.

Alsacien

MIA
The rumour while I was there was that he was ex-US military of Irish decent (not SF), and that his MO became known and he got caught, and he was quietly bumped off - which neatly explained why it suddenly stopped.
It was another good rumour that we certainly wanted to believe.

The rumour while I was there was that he was ex-US military of Irish decent (not SF), and that his MO became known and he got caught, and he was quietly bumped off - which neatly explained why it suddenly stopped.
That's more credible than my rumour.

Can't remember his first name. The Barrett .50 sniper was called Carraghar(?) from Cullyhanna.
Caught by the Regiment. Apparently he was trying to hold onto a "tree branch" so his fingers had to be "beaten" to loosen em. Wonder if he opens his own sauce bottles?
Freed in the GFA.

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
Wouldn't he have stood out a mile from the local populace in that case?
Having done many a farmers, daughters in XMG./FH dont remember seeing many Ethnic minorities apart from The Char wallas, at the Locations. Rumour control was an M60 in the Area, this was late 70,s

If he had been british army trained, unless he was insane, ireland is the last place he would have wanted to go. To much rain.

Having said that, was Mark Wright, not ex RE?

From what I have read, he was a bit of a loone though

That's exactly what happened. I read it in "The Nemesis File". All the details are in there, so it must be true.

I remember when the sniper team went on trial, they were all smiles because all prisoners would soon be released.

When they fired at long range, they missed, so they fired at 200m - within the effective range of the SA80.

Following two successful attacks in 1997, on April 10 a Special Air Service unit arrested the sniper team based in the west of the region, responsible for several deaths. After a brief fist fight, James McCardle, Michael Caraher, Bernard McGinn and Martin Minnes were arrested in a farm near Freeduff. The British troops were under strict orders to avoid IRA casualties.[18] A Barrett M90 rifle was seized,[49] which forensic and intelligence reports linked only to the 1997 shootings.[50] It was hinted that there was an informer, a suggestion dismissed by the Ombudsman report.[51]

One of the IRA volunteers captured, Michael Caraher, was the brother of Fergal Caraher, a Sinn Féin member and IRA volunteer [52] killed by Royal Marines at a checkpoint on 30 December 1990 near Cullyhanna.[4] Michael, also shot and wounded, had lost a lung in the aftermath.[53] Despite some witnesses claiming that the shooting was unprovoked, the marines involved were acquitted by Lord Chief Justice Hutton.[54] Caraher was thought to be the shooter in several attacks,[55] but he was only indicted for the case of the maimed constable. He was defended by solicitor Rosemary Nelson, later killed by the loyalist organisation Red Hand Defenders.[56] The other three men of the sniper team were convicted in 1999 for six killings, two of them unrelated to the sniping operations (the deaths of two men when one of the team's members, James McCardle, planted the bomb at Canary Wharf in 1996). The men were set free 18 months later under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.[57] The Drumintee sniper party was never caught.[58]

It was rumoured that after his Barrett was found by a RUC/REST team in tractor trailer, an ambush was conducted and he was lifted and severely beaten by SF. I also heard there was bits of teeth and blooded hair all over the barn after they had finished with him. What happened after who knows!!!!

Now that's was a good story at the time

If he had been british army trained, unless he was insane, ireland is the last place he would have wanted to go. To much rain.

Having said that, was Mark Wright, not ex RE?

From what I have read, he was a bit of a loone though
You mean Michael Dickson? He served as truck driver with the RE for a few years. Then he married an Irish woman and went native.

I'm sure he fired from inside a converted car. The barrett was found in a compartment either under the traier or in the car - can't quite remember.