Mercenary Sniper in Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by jesse, Jul 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure where to post this;-but I reckon you would have to be old and bold to recall!
    Was the Mercenry long distance sniper working for the provos ever identified? It was roumerd that he was former U,S. special forces also that he was an escaped convict from H.M.P. Brixton who had it on his toes with a provo named Truitt. Was the sniper ever caught or killed,or was it an urban myth?
  2. As far as I can remember it was only speculated that a merc trained the two main teams who operated in South Armagh. I don't think any concrete evidence was ever found to prove he ever even existed.

I may be wrong though.
  3. When I was there the rumour was that he was an ex US SF coloured chap that lived in XMG. I never saw him though, probably just a load of bollocks, but it was a good rumour.
  4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Wouldn't he have stood out a mile from the local populace in that case?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. one would have thought so, as I said it was a good rumour
  6. A good rumour yes, just not a credible one.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

The rumour while I was there was that he was ex-US military of Irish decent (not SF), and that his MO became known and he got caught, and he was quietly bumped off - which neatly explained why it suddenly stopped.
    It was another good rumour that we certainly wanted to believe.
  8. That's more credible than my rumour.
  9. you have got to love a good rumour, especially when you start it, and some one tells it to you 6 months later, as 'gen up'
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well we know that they did encourage some members to join the british army for experience so he could even have been home trained.
  11. Can't remember his first name. The Barrett .50 sniper was called Carraghar(?) from Cullyhanna.
    Caught by the Regiment. Apparently he was trying to hold onto a "tree branch" so his fingers had to be "beaten" to loosen em. Wonder if he opens his own sauce bottles?
    Freed in the GFA.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Having done many a farmers, daughters in XMG./FH dont remember seeing many Ethnic minorities apart from The Char wallas, at the Locations. Rumour control was an M60 in the Area, this was late 70,s
  13. If he had been british army trained, unless he was insane, ireland is the last place he would have wanted to go. To much rain.

Having said that, was Mark Wright, not ex RE?

From what I have read, he was a bit of a loone though
  14. That's exactly what happened. I read it in "The Nemesis File". All the details are in there, so it must be true.
  15. I remember when the sniper team went on trial, they were all smiles because all prisoners would soon be released.

When they fired at long range, they missed, so they fired at 200m - within the effective range of the SA80.