Mercenary Books, any good ones ot there?

#1
Have just read 2 Mercenary books "Dirty Combat" by David Tomkins and "Have Gun will Travel" by Karl Penta thought both were just readable.I was surprised both Tomkins and Penta had never served in any branch of the military(surly going into combat lead by someone with NO military training would be foolish) Tomkins was the more interesting covering his time in Angola Col Callan etc,Pentas one man's war was a bit boreing to read , any good ones out there?
 
#3
The Boys Of Baghdad

"As a former fighter in the legendary French Foreign Legion, Simon Low thought he had seen it all. Then he was posted to Iraq. Employed as a private military contractor - a 'hired gun' - his assignment was to guard the deadly convoy routes out of Baghdad. Once there, Simon quickly realised that no one could be trusted, including the US military. Whether sending him on perilously haphazard missions or, in one terrifying incident, knowingly opening fire on him, the Americans often proved as dangerous as the insurgents. Simon faced the daily terror of suicide bombers and armed ambushes, and also had to keep a close watch on his ill-prepared Iraqi comrades."
 
#4
I love the Knowingly opening fire on him bit. Every day My unit had PMC bullets whinging off our vehicles as the PMC's made the morning run from the Greenzone to BIAP. SO busy firing warning shots at Iraqis never saw us parked in the medians. Became a daily occurance as the ISP radioed us they were coming so we could button up and prepare. Around 0700 every day up over the Spaghetti Bowl Junction came the race of Mad Max SUV's and pickups with hillbilly armor running for their lives to BIAP.

Still remember the day a PMC shot up a ISP checkpoint and at the next ISP position were engaged, vehicles disabled and on the ground face down being guarded by ISP when we rolled up on them. Erinys also ran a ECP we manned and got their radiator shot out for their troubles.
 
#5
You might want to read: "No Mean Soldier" by Peter McAleese (no relation to the first man on the balcony). It also contains a fair bit about Col Callan in Angola.

MsG
 

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
I read 'A Mercenary's Tale' by Karl Penta a few years back. It's not your average 'SAS super hero' b0llocks, rather its all very simplistic and easy to read. I quite like the portrayal of the locals as clueless, drugged - up lunatics - which is exactly what they were. Penta describes a lot of problems trying to work in a backwards, corrupt and volatile country where tinpot dictators are the order of the day. He had a lot of issues with the Ronnie Brunswijk's(Rebel Leader) laissez - faire approach to soldiering and tentativeness, and its fair to say the rebels needed some professional soldiers to give them half a clue as to what to do. Clearly the story is heavily embellished, and the claim that Penta 'single handedly brought down the government' is codswallop, but its an entertaining read - if you can get hold of it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/190340259X/?tag=armrumser-21
 
#12
Gungythree said:
jack-daniels said:
Gungythree said:
jack-daniels said:
'Firepower'. All about the Col. Callan saga. I knew the wife of one of the blokes killed out there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0552108073/?tag=armrumser-21
One of the blokes that went out there still lives in the Shot :)
Which one? The only loony I reckon who would fit the bill would be an ex 3 Para bloke...PA?
Thats the bloke
Quality! He was the first bloke I thought of! Always thought he was barking!
 
#13
"Making a killing" and "escape from baghdad" both by James Ashcroft are exellent!

"The deniable agent" by Collin Berry isnt a merc book (more of a spook book) but its really interesting, well worth the 4 quid from play.com
 
#14
Found my copy of BLOODSONG by JIM HOOPER, ISBN 0 00 711916 X .

Published in 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers.

www.collins.co.uk

FIRE POWER by CHRIS DEMPSTER and DAVE TOMKINS, ISBN O 552 10807 3.

First published in 1978 by Corgi and appears to have been reprinted numerous times since then.

When Fire Power was first published in 1978 it only cost £2-95, I see now that it is changing hands for around £15-00
 
#15
Gungythree said:
jack-daniels said:
'Firepower'. All about the Col. Callan saga. I knew the wife of one of the blokes killed out there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0552108073/?tag=armrumser-21
One of the blokes that went out there still lives in the Shot :)
I socialise regularly with one of the lads who was put in the nick in Mozambique for a lengthy number of years. He's a first class gent who endeavours to keep in loose contact with the Cuban surgeon who put one of his legs back together again.
 
#16
Bugsy said:
You might want to read: "No Mean Soldier" by Peter McAleese (no relation to the first man on the balcony). It also contains a fair bit about Col Callan in Angola.

MsG
That's the one I'd recommend . Though I do have slight reservations the way the author mentions that unlike Col Callan he never picks on people black or white who can't hit back etc

Judging by the comments on amazon I wouldn't recommend War Dogs by Keith Cory Jones where Kit Freeman tells the world on all the top secret missions he caried out in the former Yugoslavia

I remember Freeman appearing on a BBC documentary in 1992 where he went in to great detail that he was leading a HVO squad in to no mans land to set off explosive charges thereby making it look to UN observers that the Serbs were breaking a ceasefire . Seems rather strange going on a top secret black ops and then telling a BBC documentary all about it
 
#17
Spanny said:
Bugsy said:
You might want to read: "No Mean Soldier" by Peter McAleese (no relation to the first man on the balcony). It also contains a fair bit about Col Callan in Angola.

MsG
That's the one I'd recommend . Though I do have slight reservations the way the author mentions that unlike Col Callan he never picks on people black or white who can't hit back etc
Judging by the comments on amazon I wouldn't recommend War Dogs by Keith Cory Jones where Kit Freeman tells the world on all the top secret missions he caried out in the former Yugoslavia

I remember Freeman appearing on a BBC documentary in 1992 where he went in to great detail that he was leading a HVO squad in to no mans land to set off explosive charges thereby making it look to UN observers that the Serbs were breaking a ceasefire . Seems rather strange going on a top secret black ops and then telling a BBC documentary all about it
My bold - sorry Spanny, I don't follow what you are referring to here. Could you explain please?
 
#18
Licensed to Kill: Hired Guns in the War on Terror (Robert Pelton)

Pelton's a journalist, and covers Iraq, Afghanistan and some more historical examples. Pretty good reading.
 
#19
Someone Else's War by Anthony Rodgers. I was lucky enough to serve with three guys who are in this, one a guy from Bermondsey who saw a documentary on Panorama about the Rhodesian War and joined up at a very tender age, the other two were Rhodesian SAS and a Sealous Scout. They took the trouble of adding further written in depth accounts to the book for me.

ISBN-10: 0004720776
ISBN-13: 978-0004720777
 
#20
As already mentioned.

Firepower by Dave Tomkins & Chris Dempster

Col. Callan. alias Costas Georgiou was a Cypriot national and was Pte in 1 PARA (and dishonourable discharged).

In 1975 he was one of the original mercenaries recruited by John Banks to fight with Roberto’s FNLA in Angola.

Roberto was so impressed he promoted Callan to Colonel on the spot and made him the commander of the mercenary contingent, who by and large, were a bunch of Professional soldiers and Walts.

Callan and a bunch of his mates were eventually taken prisoner and executed.

Fantastic book, if somewhat dated now, but one of the best books I have ever read and one that had a huge impact on me.
 

Latest Threads