Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mercedes

We run old light vans

there all french tat, 2nd user, all running on supermarket fuel,

mannol has replaced "Mercedes" as the cheap engine oil of choice

I think speed limiters help prolong their life (hated by the drivers)

the local tyre shop fit ditch finder tyres.... I think I can buy avon's for less which are less shite

whether they spend months around town or have done 500ml in day they as run the same

a high mileage Renault feels high mileage

a high mileage PSA felt no different to a 50k PSA

I found hoovering the soot out of the egr valve and a liberal squirting of wd40 and an italian tune up sorted mine out.
I can't see what use a Hoover would be, carbon is usually caked on that hard you almost need a chisel to get it off, a couple of hours in an ultrasonic bath may be the way to go.

The car came with Conti Sport contact 5 (MO) tyres. I typically change my tyres once they pass 3mm as wet weather performance drops off dramatically.
But these were bald (and I mean bald) in 10,753miles. hmmm, So I got non-MO Conti Sport Contact 5 and they got to 16,200miles before they hit 3mm.
I was talking to the Tech Director Conti (UK) at the Commercial Vehicle show, He explained that when, for example, Mercedes are developing a new car they will get tyres from Conti et al. Then they might ask for changes in compound, structure, etc to suit the vehicle. Hence for Merc, the MO designation. I might guess that in this application, it was a softer compound.

So I swapped to Pirelli P Zero Nero GT. Got them for about £92 per corner. (F-225-45-18 / R-245-40-18 )
Good tyre, fairly quiet, good grip, reached 26,500 miles on the rears to 3mm - BUT I lost 4mpg.

F1 Autocentres, really really good, will price match. Some good offers too, I managed to get a pair of 245-40-18 Pirelli P Zero pz4s (MO) for £86 fitted each!!!!!
Interesting thanks. Mine just come up for first change of tyres, 16,200 miles. I had an unfortunate experience when I ordered tyres through Asda tyres a couple of years ago. Put in shitty feedback and got a call from the Managing Director of Asda Tyres. He was extremely sorry and genuine, gave me a VERY good deal on next set of tyres plus a voucher to spend on the RAC website. Now he runs E Tyres (as well as other online tyre companies) and I got in touch with him. He had his Fitter Relations Manager call me, long chat about tyres. He said that Mercedes recommend Continental but any of the leading premium brands were good. Created a discount code, which included free alignment. After a lot of humming and haaing I eventually decided on Michelin Primacy 4:

Latest Group Test Results​

2020 ADAC SUV Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 12 tyres

• Positive - Very balanced with top marks in the wet, excellent low wear, very good in the dry
  • Negative - None mentioned
  • Overall - Highly Recommended
2020 Auto Zeitung Summer Tyre Test - 2nd of 20 tyres

• Positive - Excellent handling, traction and wet braking performance, short braking distance on dry surfaces, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Average steering feel in the dry.
2020 Teknikens 17 Inch Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - No obvious flaws and good balance of characteristics, excellent wet handling, low rolling resistance, the best level of comfort.
  • Negative - Average resistance to aquaplaning

I can't see what use a Hoover would be, carbon is usually caked on that hard you almost need a chisel to get it off, a couple of hours in an ultrasonic bath may be the way to go.
Nah all you have to do is remove the side cover of the egr which is plastic and that exposes the soot/carbon which admittedly is caked , but jiggle a screwdriver whilst holding the nozzle of Hoover on it, once done a good squinting of wd replace plastic cover and Bish bosh job done.

e
Nah all you have to do is remove the side cover of the egr which is plastic and that exposes the soot/carbon which admittedly is caked , but jiggle a screwdriver whilst holding the nozzle of Hoover on it, once done a good squinting of wd replace plastic cover and Bish bosh job done.
err not how I`d do it but each to their own.

TamH70

MIA
Interesting thanks. Mine just come up for first change of tyres, 16,200 miles. I had an unfortunate experience when I ordered tyres through Asda tyres a couple of years ago. Put in shitty feedback and got a call from the Managing Director of Asda Tyres. He was extremely sorry and genuine, gave me a VERY good deal on next set of tyres plus a voucher to spend on the RAC website. Now he runs E Tyres (as well as other online tyre companies) and I got in touch with him. He had his Fitter Relations Manager call me, long chat about tyres. He said that Mercedes recommend Continental but any of the leading premium brands were good. Created a discount code, which included free alignment. After a lot of humming and haaing I eventually decided on Michelin Primacy 4:

Latest Group Test Results​

2020 ADAC SUV Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 12 tyres

• Positive - Very balanced with top marks in the wet, excellent low wear, very good in the dry
  • Negative - None mentioned
  • Overall - Highly Recommended
2020 Auto Zeitung Summer Tyre Test - 2nd of 20 tyres

• Positive - Excellent handling, traction and wet braking performance, short braking distance on dry surfaces, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Average steering feel in the dry.
2020 Teknikens 17 Inch Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - No obvious flaws and good balance of characteristics, excellent wet handling, low rolling resistance, the best level of comfort.
  • Negative - Average resistance to aquaplaning
Interesting.
I tend to go by the EVO tyre test, I prefer tyres with a more sporty bias and was going to go for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5s, but then I sold the car.

I also know a fleet manager that swears by Avons.
Michelin are normally really good on longevity so it will be really interesting to see how you get on with them, so please let us know.
This chap does some really good testing and reviews on tyres. Certainly worth a look. Especially when he tried Chinese ditch finders!

I like to use the performance the car has so it's Pirelli Zero,s every time, excellent traction , I'm not interested in saving 1p per mile on fuel or getting maximum mileage out of the rubber, just enjoying the drive, otherwise I'd buy a tedious small town car.

Changed my E350 CDI 3.0 thermostat today , a common fault on this model , just a five minute job or so it appeared , what an awkward twat of a job , its as though the designers want you to strip the fuel system out just to swap the thermostat , I managed to persuade a rigid fuel line to allow me to get a bolt out and had to remove the fuel line from the filter and return pipes , taken over a fcukin hour but at least the temp is now where it should be .