Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mercedes

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
It's true that a knackered battery can put the EML on but it wouldn't cause the driveability issues you describe - if you change the battery, it'd be a good idea to get the Front SAM battery change marker reset - most decent indies have diag kit that can do it.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Almost certain to be one of two things.

DPF needs a regen (or flog the shit out of it for about half an hour, hold a lower gear and run it at speed with the revs up)

or
EGR playing up.

Being a Merc I would lay odds on DPF
DPF would latch the EML on, not intermittent.
A regen doesn't need to be thrashed (in general, this would actually postpone the regen) a long, steady drive after an enthusiastic start to warm up the exhaust is best. The only EGR faults i've seen on Mercs is due to leakage or soot build-up.

A regen doesn't need to be thrashed (in general, this would actually postpone the regen) a long, steady drive after an enthusiastic start to warm up the exhaust is best. The only EGR faults i've seen on Mercs is due to leakage or soot build-up.
I did 1400 miles in long weekend two weeks ago, I hoped that would clear any crap out of it although I am guilty of using supermarket diesel, went to premium diesel today though post problem, I'm going to change the thermostat as well as it stuck open once and now rarely gets above 80 degrees.

Truxx

LE
People always hark back that cars aren’t what they used to be. Other than topping up screen wash I don’t need to do anything else. Years ago we all had to be amateur mechanics. Oh and rust, remember that?
Rust is making a bit of a comeback sadly - some of the modern BMWs for instance are shocking. In 50 years time it will be widely acknowledged that the late 1980s early 1990s were golden years for cars.

That said you have to top up the screen wash? How very last year.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Thermostat or low temp coolant circuit / pump could cause EML to be intermittent & loss of power issues, Fuel quality is less of an issue than drive cycle, I would expect 1400 miles to give the intake & exhaust a good workout

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Rust is making a bit of a comeback sadly - some of the modern BMWs for instance are shocking. In 50 years time it will be widely acknowledged that the late 1980s early 1990s were golden years for cars.

That said you have to top up the screen wash? How very last year.
Rear subframes on some Mercs are failing MoT's (can't remember which exactly but will update) due to corrosion, vehicles up to ten years old are having them replaced at up to 100% goodwill parts & materials - depending upon dealer service history.
I'd also add vehicles designed up to 2004'ish into the 'robust' category - of any marque, compared to post 2010 vehicles.

Truxx

LE
Rear subframes on some Mercs are failing MoT's (can't remember which exactly but will update) due to corrosion, vehicles up to ten years old are having them replaced at up to 100% goodwill parts & materials - depending upon dealer service history.
I'd also add vehicles designed up to 2004'ish into the 'robust' category - of any marque, compared to post 2010 vehicles.
We are on our 4th or 5th pre 2004 mercs at the moment and I am inclined to agree.

Do Merc still do the 30 year corrosion warranty?

E class deffo. I had mine replaced about 6 months ago, free of charge.

On Sprinters DPF causes a flashing EML that comes and goes.
We've had litterally dozens of them do it

Again with four cylinder 906's a leaking intake manifold gasket is really common source of EML's and is often followed by DPF's needing a regen.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
We are on our 4th or 5th pre 2004 mercs at the moment and I am inclined to agree.

Do Merc still do the 30 year corrosion warranty?
If they do, it'll be dependent upon full dealer service history and corrosion starting from inside the panel / part, not outside - never heard of it myself but I've only been full-time with Merc for a few months.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
On Sprinters DPF causes a flashing EML that comes and goes.
We've had litterally dozens of them do it

Again with four cylinder 906's a leaking intake manifold gasket is really common source of EML's and is often followed by DPF's needing a regen.
Different engine mate, the flashing EML is to draw your attention to an impending problem, not log an actual emissions issue. - that's the EU / Kalifornia for you!

Different engine mate, the flashing EML is to draw your attention to an impending problem, not log an actual emissions issue. - that's the EU / Kalifornia for you!

Tell me about it......

I had two Sprinters fail test yesterday on emissions.

Useless heaps of shite. One of them only has 285,000 miles on it.

TamH70

MIA
Tell me about it......

I had two Sprinters fail test yesterday on emissions.

Useless heaps of shite. One of them only has 285,000 miles on it.

A useless heap of shite that has basically done the equivalent of driving to the Moon? Some van.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
A useless heap of shite that has basically done the equivalent of driving to the Moon? Some van.
Didn't make it back though, did it? ;)

On reflection a good dose of injector cleaner and a good Italian tune up might work wonders.

My W212 E350 CDI had the exact same problem, I put in two bottles of Redex and it’s behaved itself since. I now put a bottle in around once a month just to make sure.

This happened during lockdown, when the poor thing was only doing short journeys, totalling around 20 miles per week.

My W212 E350 CDI had the exact same problem, I put in two bottles of Redex and it’s behaved itself since. I now put a bottle in around once a month just to make sure.

This happened during lockdown, when the poor thing was only doing short journeys, totalling around 20 miles per week.
My bold?
DPF clogging a bit maybe?
They don't like it up 'em Sah.

Might be best to tan it's ARRRSE good and bloody proper up and down a local dual carriage way once a week.
Commonly known as an Italian Tune-up.

Latest Threads