Mercedes F1/Kingspan deal ended

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
For discussion.

Mercedes has ended its deal with Kingspan, per link.

Mercedes & Kingspan end sponsorship deal

Kingspan's links with Grenfell have been highlighted. From the story:

After last Wednesday's announcement of the sponsorship agreement, Grenfell United, a group of the disaster's survivors and bereaved families, said: "This news has shattered us." The group added at the time that it wanted Mercedes to "immediately sever your relationship" from Kingspan.

But see also:

Kingspan says that its K15 insulation made up only 5% of the insulation in the block and was used without its recommendation. It points out that the exterior cladding, which it did not manufacture, was deemed by an inquiry into the fire to be the "principal reason" for how quickly it spread.

Never mind the truth, then. Just feel the outrage.

During the PPE/ventilators debacle on social media last year, for example, JCB was one of the companies that volunteered its services to make casings. This was immediately leapt upon as 'Boris's cronies' being rewarded for their 'support during Brexit'.

Tim Martin was pilloried last year for "telling his staff to go and work at Tesco" when, in fact, that's not what he said. What he said was that the business couldn't support people whilst closed, perhaps they should look elsewhere, and that they would be given first refusal when the world changed - something quite different. On social media, again, the company was targeted, with people being exhorted to boycott Wetherspoons once its doors re-opened. Tim Martin is pro-Brexit.

Okay, this involving Kingspan isn't Brexit-related but where does this stand as an example of a company being successfully targeted politically - one which has, in fact, done nothing or very little wrong? For reference, the Wikipedia entry for Kingspan is rather more damning than the BBC quote (but also note that Wikipedia is an open-source resource that can be edited by users):

Pagan-Image

Old-Salt
Totally Agree, Kingspan made the stuff and gave the correct specifications for the cladding. They are not there to police who buys it and sticks it on a council run human battery farm.

Totally Agree, Kingspan made the stuff and gave the correct specifications for the cladding. They are not there to police who buys it and sticks it on a council run human battery farm.

It is like having a go at a company for having provided the screws to fit door hinges.

Tragic and sad, but it seems like a case of, "What else can we pile on the band wagon to keep it rolling".

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not so sure about that, evidence to the enquiry has suggested that Kingspan were rather naughty themselves in not only changing the composition of their products on the sly, but rigging or faking test results

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
It's an interesting sponsorship link, fire cladding and motorsport. Roger Williamson could have done with some in 1973.

1638977078052.png

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not so sure about that, evidence to the enquiry has suggested that Kingspan were rather naughty themselves in not only changing the composition of their products on the sly, but rigging or faking test results

That's not to say the Kingspan are wholly to blame, issues regarding cladding have been known since the early 90s, and consecutive governments have refused to address the issues and kicked the can so far down the road (which has driven the costs of remedial action up 30 fold). Add in nefarious builders willing to cut corners and deruglation for deregulations sake and not insisting on maintaing standards has led to the mess. But that's more suited to the appropriate thread.

Last edited:

ches

LE
That's not to say the Kingspan are wholly to blame, issues regarding cladding have been known since the early 90s, and consecutive governments have refused to address the issues and kicked the can so far down the road its driven costs up 30 fold. Add in nefarious builders willing to cut corners and deruglation for deregulations sake and not insisting on maintaing standards has led to the mess. But that's more suited to the appropriate thread.

Wot he said & it is for the more appropriate thread. That said, i have worked in the design construction sector now for 30+ years off & on & have a direct involvement in the BRAC level of advice & mentorship to ppl on the inquiry team as part of large cross industry consultancy (unpaid) panel. The level of dishonesty & downright falsifying of results & tests followed post disaster with the company trying to hide email & memo evidence of their knowledge of the combustibility of their products is outrageous &, speaking for a large number of other professionals, I'd be very surprised if criminal trials relating to trying to pervert the course of justice/tampering with evidence/fraud etc weren't brought against some medium & high level managers within Kingspan & the cladding contractor.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry - my actual point/question/topic for debate was about the effective ‘no-platforming’ of commercial companies because of their supposed political affiliations, not about Kingspan per se.

Hence my JCB/Wetherspoons examples.

The difference being that Kingspan actually seems to have been hoofed successfully on the basis of a pressure group’s efforts.

Happy for the thread to crack on along parallel paths, however.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sorry - my actual point/question/topic for debate was about the effective ‘no-platforming’ of commercial companies because of their supposed political affiliations, not about Kingspan per se.

Hence my JCB/Wetherspoons examples.

The difference being that Kingspan actually seems to have been hoofed successfully on the basis of a pressure group’s efforts.

Happy for the thread to crack on along parallel paths, however.

I don't think the dropping of Kingspan has anything to do with Political Affiliations, certainly, rather that they are embroiled in a scandal that resulted in the death of 72 people, and have not been enitrely honest about it. That's what's brought the pressure

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't think the dropping of Kingspan has anything to do with Political Affiliations, certainly, rather that they are embroiled in a scandal that resulted in the death of 72 people, and have not been enitrely honest about it. That's what's brought the pressure
Post #8.

bentobox

War Hero
I also would suggest that the sport that Kingspan chose to advertise within may have been a case of reading the room wrong? Attaching themselves to such a high profile Multi Million Pound racing team with a star driver who has made some efforts to at least acknowledge inequalities around the world may not have been the best decision.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I also would suggest that the sport that Kingspan chose to advertise within may have been a case of reading the room wrong? Attaching themselves to such a high profile Multi Million Pound racing team with a star driver who has made some efforts to at least acknowledge inequalities around the world may not have been the best decision.
1. That depends if you see yourself as having done something wrong.
2. Hamilton has jumped on the BLM/race bus. That’s very different from addressing inequalities.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

I hear what your saying, but I would argue that GU is not a politcal pressure group in the sense of say Stop-the-War is and that you over thinking the "Political Pressure" aspect of it. GU are indeed a pressure group, but one directly affected by a tragedy that this particular manufacturer is embroiled in. They aren't hopping up and down manufacturing hypocritical grievances for narcissistic personal ends like StW

GU have every right to stand up and go "Hang on a minute, is this necessarily wise, considering the circumstances". GU are not politcal affiliated like other political pressure groups, and their concerns very much deal with failures and issues that were ignored by successive Governments of different Parties.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I hear what your saying, but I would argue that GU is not a politcal pressure group in the sense of say Stop-the-War is and that you over thinking the "Political Pressure" aspect of it. GU are indeed a pressure group, but one directly affected by a tragedy that this particular manufacturer is embroiled in. They aren't hopping up and down manufacturing hypocritical grievances for narcissistic personal ends like StW

GU have every right to stand up and go "Hang on a minute, is this necessarily wise, considering the circumstances". GU are not politcal affiliated like other political pressure groups, and their concerns very much deal with failures and issues that were ignored by successive Governments of different Parties.
I may be using some clumsy examples but there's a discussion to be had, I think.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
1. That depends if you see yourself as having done something wrong.
2. Hamilton has jumped on the BLM/race bus. That’s very different from addressing inequalities.
My bold. Their response should have been 'Sell it all, sell it now. Today'.

Behaving in Place A as if you are in Place B causes major accidents, makes governments fall, etc etc...