Merc vito or transporter t5

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Bigcsm22, May 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys. Thinking of buying a van. A combi version with seats in the back so I can use it as a car, and so I can use it for dry cleaning deliveries/ holidays with the dog and bikes in the back.
    Anybody own either? With any pros or cons
    I was hoping to get the vito sport or a t5 with alloys(sporty looking) as I couldn't afford the sport line version
    Cheers
    Bigcsm

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  2. transporter heard nothing but trouble about the vito,

3. Transporter all the way, but get the lwb version and go for an ex demo.

4. Used both types at work; had to be dragged kicking and screaming out of the Vito, it was auto and had proper climate control. Deathly quiet with the doors closed, good wash/wipe system, passenger bench seat a torture rack-driver's seat is heaven. Stability control is something else, unfortunately van is crap in winter. The Transporter was low spec with the 5 speed box, hated the turning circle and the corrosion in the number plate light harness. Very good in winter.
    I suspect both vehicles are made in the same factory-very similar switches etc-but the Vito is the more refined of the two. Both have very good mirrors with no surprise blind-spots. Vito seemed virtually immune to all but headwinds.

5. Im still looking for a people carrier type vehicle with a table in the back and rear seats that face each other

6. You can turn the Vito seats around, dunno about a table. Seen police Transporters with that config.

7. I've got a T5 on a 60 plate. It's the bi-turbo with 180 brake.... It's the 6 seater transporter with all the bells and whistles. I cuddle the thing and kiss the steering wheel too often!!! Too many pluses and not one minus to date. See my previous posts for a pic

• Like Like x 1
  8. We had a 2008 Viano 3.0CDI with all the bells and whistles. While it was powerful and good to drive during summery conditions (much more so than the previous generation Multivan/Transporter T5), bits kept falling off and even loaded and with top end Michelin M&S tires and snowchains it was utter shite in snow. Near the 100K km mark it started having more and more issues and we sold it in 2012. Tried the beautiful 25year edition Mulitvan with 4WD & 2.0 turbodiesel with 200BHP, it's too weak for all the hilly driving we do and there isn't a 2.5 or 3L version because of the cap on the VW fleet consumption. It appears much better put together than the Viano / Vito which surely must be about to be replaced now. Thing is, these are NOT made to the quality specs as other MB or VW cars and we ended buying an Audi Q7 3.0 TDI AddBlue clean tech which worked to about 30% less than a Multivan. Less space but the finish and comort are like from another decade.

Between the two the VW must be the better choice but try them both.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yep, go for the VW, a mate had a Vito and it spent shoit loads of time not working properly.

I've an Opel Combo Tour - shit hot, but a bit small for your needs by the sound of it.

10. Cheers mate. The mrs would find that too small for the shop we gave. We currently have a fiat doblo 5 seater. Ok really but I'm sick of using my works van at weekends and wanted something nice to drive that will suit all purposes. I did have a vito on hire whilst our previous van was written off. Drove from fullwood bks in Preston to Edinburgh castle. It was a bog standard van and was shite. Gutless and not very comfortable and cost me a fortune in diesel

11. I just needed it for kids to school in the morning, then network engineering stuff during the day, then 5 bikes and a Labrador at the weekend (kids and Long Haired Sunray went in the car). I managed to get all the gear in for a 50 seat call centre, PC's were minus cases except 5 admin and 2 servers, get screens locally, UK keyboards plus my personal gear for a week and tools/cable etc from Barcelona to Cluj in Romania, but normally the longest/biggest it did was Madrid and 30

12. Rammed. Good man. We really could do with more height for hanging clothes up in the back for the shop. And anything would be better than my 13 plate peugeot boxer. It's got 2000 miles on the clock, had it two weeks and I'm fed up already