Merc suggest my painted/repaired alloys will affect my warrenty!

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by mark3536, Aug 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All.

I have a C63 AMG, afew weeks ago my front left tyre kept going down, after taking it to be looked at a crack was found in the alloy which let air out of the tyre.

As the car is still under warrenty I have taken it to Merdeces who replaced the alloy free of charge, i have since had a phone call warning me that they may have to bill me because I have had the alloys repaired. The problem is AMG alloys are diamond cut with a two tone paint effect, shiney on the front and darker inside. Once they have been scuffed they can not be repaired to the same effect.

I believe having your alloys painted does not effect the structel integrity of the alloy, the crack has been there for a while, long before I had the alloys done (according to a MB "technician") therefore anyone got any tips i can fire back at them in case they try to bill me?

Regards

2. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

You've got a C63 AMG? Lucky bastard, I'd kill for one of those. Sorry I can't help you with the alloy question!

3. I do yes, off white with the performance package plus, I love it to bits but so does my local petrol station haha.

4. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

MB garages are fecken top when it comes selling their cars but complete twats thereafter. If, as you state, it is under warranty and the wheels were on the car when you bought it, you have no worries. Just demand to see the manager. If no joy, and they are a franchise/chain, find out who is the owner and approach them.

Don't forget, if they don't yield, you will take your servicing elsewhere.....and the ******* prices they charge, they will shit themselves

5. Send an e mail to the boss Simon Oldfield, his e mail address in available online as are other chief execs.

6. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

MB garages are fecken top when it comes selling their cars but complete twats thereafter. If, as you state, it is under warranty and the wheels were on the car when you bought it, you have no worries. Just demand to see the manager. If no joy, and they are a franchise/chain, find out who is the owner and approach them.

Don't forget, if they don't yield, you will take your servicing elsewhere.....and the ******* prices they charge, they will shit themselves

7. Rod, Jarrod, Thanks. I will wait and see what they say first before i counter-attack but good ideas anyway. It annoys me that they try to find any way not to honour their warrenty but more than happy to take £59000 off you!

8. You say you had the alloys repaired, who did the work and can you or they demonstrate that no process was used which may have caused the crack, or indeed that the cosmetic work was not done to cover up signs of mechanical damage that had caused the crack?

9. If the defect is a manufacturing one then the fact you have had your wheel repainted is not an issue. The problem will come with the fact you may not have used a MBUK approved centre to repaint the wheel, (just out of interest the person who told you that you could not colour match the wheel to OM spec was wrong). Most reputable wheel repairers, such as Wicked Wheels, will report a defect if they see one, as it is in their best interest not to do a repair if the wheel is damaged as any later problem can be blamed on them rather than the car or wheel.

If you cars warranty does indeed cover the alloys, but not for road damage and MBUK will inspect the crack to see if they feel in their opinion that the crack was caused by a pot hole or other 'bump' on the alloy. It is standard MBUK practice to advise the customer of a potential bill for an alloy or tyre as the are normally sent away for inspection after they have been exchanged on the car under a normal warranty claim.

Writing to Simon Oldfield will not increase your chances of getting a better service. However, if you contact MBUK Customer Care with your disappointment, if you are indeed charged for your wheel, they will start a case for you and investigate the charge. I have over the past 17+ years in this business found them to be fair, even leaning on the side of the customer over that of MBUK. They do actually believe in customer care, unlike some I could mention.

Hope this helps in some way?

10. I beg to differ writing to Simon Oldfield sets off a grumpy chain of events.

• Like Like x 1