Menzies Campbell - The right choice?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by crabby, May 5, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It's the Lib Dems, who cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. He's been in a little while and he's not made much noise... Was he the right choice for the lib dems? Traditionally they've done quite well in local elections and last night must have been a bit of a disappointment.
    (I know it's locals, but the national scene does affect the locals)

2. Absolutely not. The party needs to grow fangs and quickly. Menzies is not the man.

3. Don't want to repeat what I put on another thread, but no he is definately not. Not only has he not done sweet FA since he got the job, he has lost the Lib Dems the name of being a good party to challenge the others. The first thing he did when he got the job was to say that the Lib Dems now supported student fees. A lot of the new voters the Lib Dems got were students as they were the only party to oppose top up fees (yes I know the Tories said they did but they didn't). He seems to have underestimated the student vote, there are a hell of a lot of us, most have 2 brain cells to rub together and 2 votes in Local elections.

4. Hence why there are now 9 green councillors for Norwich City Council, they gained four of five last night. The loses were from Lib Dem who at one point were the majority party. Congrats to the greens, two of my friends and three people I've worked with were running, but surely this was a wake-up call for Lib Dems to look at how they run their campaign, the man at the top and their recent policies?

5. Lib Dems play down mixed results

Words fail me. The direction the party is taking is clearly signposted.

Freefall.

6. Ming is definitely not the guy for the job, I think they missed their chance when they didn't elect Chris Hume who seems a very capable man.

7. Lembit should have stood himself.

8. In my eyes their biggest problem regardless of leader seems to be a lack of 'Realpolitik' vis-a-vis the outside world. They have some good ideas for policy at home - particularly reversing the last twenty years of Tory/Lab centralising power on Westminster at the expense of local authorities - but in terms of Geopolitics Ming et al don't seem to have much of a clue.

9. Chris Hume would have been a good candidate, still can't see why Nick Clegg didn't go for it though. Rumour on the grapevine before Charlie came out was that Clegg was set to have been his replacement and was the future of the Lib dems. It still scapes me why they went for Ming when they were finnal doing well on the left centre, he seems far too Tory to be a Lib Dem.

10. Has Ming got a bike?

I don't think riding side saddle will woo the voters.

You need somebody with charisma and Ming is sadly lacking in that department.

11. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

He is most certainly the right man for the job.

The right man to send his party back to oblivion where it belongs...

Cameron is on a roll now!

12. "Lembit should have stood himself. "

PTP, is that the same Lembit who's claim to fame is worrying about an asteroid strike ?

13. Ming has had his day.He should retire and handover to Lembit Opic soonest.

14. His allegation at PMQs about a 'school with no head' came at a time when his own party had no leader - Blair's reply was drowned out by raucous laughter from all around. I voted Lib Dem for the first time ever at the last General Election - when Kennedy was leader - mainly for anti-Iraq war/anti ID card reasons. If he's still the incumbent, I can't see me doing that next time

15. This is the main reason I left a few years back. They have an hopeless self loathing lunatic fringe that live on Planet Zog. They utterly refuse to indulge in Realpolitik and a have a rabid anti American outlook on everything.

It is a shame as there are a few switched on people in the greater party.