ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Featured Mental Health - Time to Talk

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by David Powell, Jan 25, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 21
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. David, many thanks.

2. This consultation is really important. If you are a veteran and use, or have used, NHS mental health services, please take the time to take part.

• Like Like x 3
  3. @ViroBono - do you have the power to make it a featured thread?

4. Good idea. Usually mods can do this, but there is a glitch with the software at the moment. It's reported, and the thread will be featured once it's resolved.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  5. Many thanks.

6. Now featured.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Good thread, thanks for bringing it to our attention, have replied....... let's see if they just only "walk the walk, but can't talk the talk" and making it a featured thread means they can't slip away so easily if they don't like the answers.
    Not only did they not help me, they became the enemy.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  8. Sadly perhaps, those best suited to reply are insufficiently cogent or willing to respond.

• Like Like x 4
  9. I'd be interested to know what you mean by this.

Incidentally, today is Time to Talk Day - aimed at reducing stigma and discrimination around mental health.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Simple really. Those who have the most serious service related mental health issues are probably not in the best frame of mind as to how they might best be treated.
    They are also likely to be in denial regarding their condition and the need, or even desire, for treatment. Many will vigorously defend their right to be left well alone, and resist any attempt to undermine their seclusion.
    They may well have a subconscious key to their recovery, yet the condition prevents them from accessing it.

• Like Like x 7
  11. What do you consider the most serious service-related MH issues are?

Lack of insight is a feature of some MH issues, but not most. There are, though, some barriers to people seeking treatment that are not part of the condition, but that's not the same as denial.

12. I believe the first and most significant is the almost subliminal institutionalisation of members of HM Forces. It is in my opinion, the start point for most service related MH issues.

Then we are agreed?

13. Being institutionalised is not a mental health illness, though, and those at most risk are early service leavers aged under 24, so I cannot agree with your statement.

What I was trying to get at is what you think the most common mental health problem is in veterans.

No, we aren't. You say people are in denial, I say that there are barriers to seeking help, but that they aren't the same thing. What I mean by this is that someone without insight doesn't know they are unwell, or what their symptoms mean; someone who is in denial knows they are unwell, but doesn't accept the reality in order to cope with distressing feelings. So I'm keen to know what you think these people are suffering from, and why you think they are in denial.

• Like Like x 1
  14. A vital thing; a serving friend of mine killed himself at the weekend. No-one knows why, he never spoke to anyone about being depressed - not even about being sad about anything.

I don't know anyone who has served who wouldn't take a call from a friend who was suffering, it's just a terrible shame that some people don't feel they can reach out to someone.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1