Mental Health - Time to Talk

Good thread, thanks for bringing it to our attention, have replied....... let's see if they just only "walk the walk, but can't talk the talk" and making it a featured thread means they can't slip away so easily if they don't like the answers.
Not only did they not help me, they became the enemy.

Last edited:
Sadly perhaps, those best suited to reply are insufficiently cogent or willing to respond.

I'd be interested to know what you mean by this.
Simple really. Those who have the most serious service related mental health issues are probably not in the best frame of mind as to how they might best be treated.
They are also likely to be in denial regarding their condition and the need, or even desire, for treatment. Many will vigorously defend their right to be left well alone, and resist any attempt to undermine their seclusion.
They may well have a subconscious key to their recovery, yet the condition prevents them from accessing it.

Simple really. Those who have the most serious service related mental health issues are probably not in the best frame of mind as to how they might best be treated.
They are also likely to be in denial regarding their condition and the need, or even desire, for treatment. Many will vigorously defend their right to be left well alone, and resist any attempt to undermine their seclusion.
They may well have a subconscious key to their recovery, yet the condition prevents them from accessing it.
What do you consider the most serious service-related MH issues are?

Lack of insight is a feature of some MH issues, but not most. There are, though, some barriers to people seeking treatment that are not part of the condition, but that's not the same as denial.

What do you consider the most serious service-related MH issues are?
I believe the first and most significant is the almost subliminal institutionalisation of members of HM Forces. It is in my opinion, the start point for most service related MH issues.

There are, though, some barriers to people seeking treatment that are not part of the condition, but that's not the same as denial.
Then we are agreed?

I believe the first and most significant is the almost subliminal institutionalisation of members of HM Forces. It is in my opinion, the start point for most service related MH issues.
Being institutionalised is not a mental health illness, though, and those at most risk are early service leavers aged under 24, so I cannot agree with your statement.

What I was trying to get at is what you think the most common mental health problem is in veterans.

Then we are agreed?
No, we aren't. You say people are in denial, I say that there are barriers to seeking help, but that they aren't the same thing. What I mean by this is that someone without insight doesn't know they are unwell, or what their symptoms mean; someone who is in denial knows they are unwell, but doesn't accept the reality in order to cope with distressing feelings. So I'm keen to know what you think these people are suffering from, and why you think they are in denial.

Incidentally, today is Time to Talk Day - aimed at reducing stigma and discrimination around mental health.
A vital thing; a serving friend of mine killed himself at the weekend. No-one knows why, he never spoke to anyone about being depressed - not even about being sad about anything.

I don't know anyone who has served who wouldn't take a call from a friend who was suffering, it's just a terrible shame that some people don't feel they can reach out to someone.

A vital thing; a serving friend of mine killed himself at the weekend. No-one knows why, he never spoke to anyone about being depressed - not even about being sad about anything.

I don't know anyone who has served who wouldn't take a call from a friend who was suffering, it's just a terrible shame that some people don't feel they can reach out to someone.
That's such a shame.

Many suicidal people do show warning signs, but if you don't know what you are looking at it can be hard to spot. There are those who just do it; a young matelot I worked with killed himself very suddenly last year - we still don't know why.

I think that one of the issues, and one of the things that Time to Talk seeks to change, is that whilst it's difficult for people in distress to reach out, when they do many people just don't know what to say.

I have posted opinions which you clearly disagree with. They are based on my own experience of 22 years service. I know exactly what I mean and it has nothing to do with 'early leavers'

Being institutionalised subliminally by a system requirement is indeed an illness whether you realise and accept it or not. It can also further undermine any subsequent health issues.
You are entitled to disagree, but if you refuse to accept my explanation of a personally held opinion, I can only hope you are not a MH professional with decision making responsibilities.

Stop being aggressive and trying to prove a point that you have so far failed to make.

I have posted opinions which you clearly disagree with. They are based on my own experience of 22 years service. I know exactly what I mean and it has nothing to do with 'early leavers'

Being institutionalised subliminally by a system requirement is indeed an illness whether you realise and accept it or not. It can also further undermine any subsequent health issues.
You are entitled to disagree, but if you refuse to accept my explanation of a personally held opinion, I can only hope you are not a MH professional with decision making responsibilities.

Stop being aggressive and trying to prove a point that you have so far failed to make.
No aggression on my part at all; I am simply trying to better understand what you wrote. I still don't understand. But talking about mental health is important, and I'm glad you are contributing to the discussion.

Institutionalisation is not classified as an illness in the DSM or ICD, which are the recognised classifications . So it's your opinion, to which you are entitled, and which I respect, even if I disagree. What do you think the signs and symptoms are? Do you think that all who have served suffer from it? If not, why are some affected and others not?

I don't agree that being institutionalised is an illness in itself, but it's easy to see how it can lead to stress factors in some. Then it's down to the individual's ability to deal with those stresses. Some manage it quite well and others find it difficult to cut the strings.

If institutionalisation is a problem or part of the problem, then it's effects do need to be taken into account when considering solutions.

Latest Threads