Mental Health Support for Reservists

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by invisiblehelper, Jun 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. edit

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. How much money do you have IH?!

3. Mental............ Yep the place can be discribed as just that.
    Health............. Two arms, two legs, cough........... you're fit
    Team.............. Can't recall seeing anything like that there.

OK as far as my thinking goes, if you want profesional staff you either;

a, Train some.
    b, Mobilise some.
    c, Pay the going rate and employ some.

4. Cheap jibes on my part aside, I'm thinking that the only way you up the numbers at Chillwell, is by taking qualified RMN out of the NHS. Have I got this right? Or is there a bagfull of RMN's who are available?

5. I know a bloke who is having a real bad time and has VERY VERY DARK THOUGHTS!!! He went to the Army for help, didn't get any as he is ex-regular and not serving!!!!!!!!!! He thinks that there is no light at the end of the tunnel and that he has only one way forward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You mess people up and dump them like a hot bricks!

Bless the Army Medical Services, you are what you are!!!!!!

6. I know someone (ex-reg) post GRANBY who didn't receive any help at all. Ended up I took my full years leave allocation in one fell swoop and looked after him. He's a bit better now but still has occasional dark thoughts.

AMS. God bless us, one and all. Yup. Hmm.

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

IH,

By how much does the service need to be expanded? I recall that it appeared to consist of one person when I was there.

Is the MHT at Chilwell to be the only point at which reservists can access the service? Do additional staff need to be CPNs?

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I was told on return from Telic 2, if you had any problems of this nature then see your GP.

9. IH - stuff that needs to be addressed before a full scale enhancement takes place at Chilwell:

What is the nature of the target population of reservists/TA and how many?
    What is the current workload and what is the predicted increase?
    What sort of problems do these people have and are they Service attributable?
    What are the CMHT going to do with them?
    What sort of treatment do you want to offer?
    What is the medical (doctor) cover going to be (if any)?
    Are they all in the Chilwell catchment area or should other regional DCMHs take them on? (PROBABLY!)
    What is the available funding ?
    What are the ancillary costs (e.g. T&S) of dragging people to Chilwell from across the country?

Strikes me that a proper needs assessment should be done and then a proper plan put in place - rather than the usual knee jerk - 'something needs doing- this is something - do this!' kind of approach.

Best of luck

10. I gobbed off about this to the CGS presentation team. Chilwel don't prepare TA on the problems when you return to work and how to deal with it. My CO was at one point going to speak to various employers about bullying of those who had returned from Telic - bullying was from managers and colleagues. I experienced it myself unfortunately. So I put my point forward with regard to this issue and the comments were noted in the report sent to units (no names) after the comments from Land etc. A number of us who came back from Telic experienced this problem, most of whom were employed by an NHS Trust who has connections with the military, via an attached MDHU.

11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

That means you got a glossy brochure to look through. Oh and a 20 minute presentation on being looked after by the MoD. :wink: