Mental Health Question

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by DeltaDog, Jun 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wonder if anyone can help?

A mate that I served with seems to be having a few issues which I believe are related to his service. Nothing life-threatening, and most of the time he's completely normal (or as normal as any ex-squaddie!), but if we go for a drink he seems constantly on edge - Obsessively looking around, standing with his back to the wall and never relaxing.

Walking through the town with him is like being on patrol. It's difficult to hold a conversation as he's very tense and seems 'focussed' on the task at hand. Not sure if I've explained this problem sufficiently well, but it certainly isn't normal.

This 'tenseness' has also caused him to 'snap' at his missis a couple of times. He's never physically hurt her, but it's still out of character and risks screwing up his relationship.

I believe that he'd see a counsellor of some description, but:

a) He won't pay for it.
    b) He won't let me pay for it.
    c) He won't do anything which could end up on his medical record.

Any suggestions?

2. msr

msr LE

3. Found this through a link on that site. It explains the issue much better than I could earlier.

I'll contact CS and see what they can do. Thanks.

4. I acknowledge this question comes across as really "bone" :oops: ....
    ..... and I'm not meaning to be pedantic :D , but I'm curious to know whether he's only like this when he has drunk alcohol. I'm not going to offer any earth-shattering diagnosis or cure. I just like to have these things clarified. (Anyway, it gives your thread a bump.)

5. Its normal for ex Para Reg

6. It's not the first time I've noticed it, but it was only the fact that we were stone cold sober that made me realise there was a problem.

I know we tend to be more aware and perhaps more 'pumped-up' than the average civvie, but he takes it to the point where I feel guilty for not hard-targeting past shops or taking up a fire position every time we stop.