Mental health of young ex-soldiers - request for help

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by danoneill, Jul 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd like to make contact with young (ish) EX-services personnel to talk with them and/or their families about any emotional or mental health issues that have affected them either during or since leaving the services - and what kinds of support they have (or have not) been offered.

Even if you have not had problems yourself, I would still be very interested to hear your views on this issue, so if you would like to contribute to this research, please pm me; or if you know anyone else who might be interested, please pass this message on to them or ask them to contact me directly.

The findings of the research will be presented to the funders (the Indigo Trust) and throughout the NHS and services support and welfare community, the intention being to raise awareness of the problems being experienced and highlight areas of good (and less good) practice.

I've attached a project information sheet, which will give you more details, but please pm me if you have any other questions

[align=center]All replies will be treated in the strictest confidence[/align]

Thank you very much for your help.

Dan O'Neill

Senior Research Officer / Teaching Fellow
    Department of Health and Human Sciences
    University of Essex

This request was okayed by Site Admin prior to posting.

Attached Files:

2. Moved by me into here to enable a wider audience on this.

3. Forgive me if I am wrong but wasn't the last piece of research you did, that involved military personnel, disowned by the U of E management team?

4. You should contact Combat Stress, thw charity which helps ex-servicemen and women with PTSD.
  5. ... also suggest that anyone wishing to participate looks HERE

BTW Dan, as I am unable to cut and paste from your document (due to your document security options), would you provide more information on the Indigo Trust, relevant stakeholders and the National or International publications you refer to at the above link?
  6. As far as the Indigo Trust is concerned, they seem to be a trust set up by the Sainsburys family to fund various charities and works
  7. ... thanks Sven - though I was wondering more about the "relevant stakeholders" who are not listed.
  8. Hi Sven / Rockape,

I suppose that the list of relevant stakeholders could go on and on - I've been told that there are at least 240 + separate organisations (charitable or otherwise) that might at sometime offer support to ex-service personnel. The main ones (please feel free to correct me!) are probably the Legion, Combat Stress, SSAFA, the Ex-Services Fellowship Communities - and the MoD.

Basically, we would hope to get the message across to anyone we can; as far as participants are concerned, the main thing is that their identities will not be disclosed, and any reports will be written in such a way as to make it impossible for anyone else to identify them.

Hope that answers some of your questions - get back to me if there's anything else.

9. Hello PAW,

not sure which research you're talking about - I havent been involved in anything concerning the military (ex- or not) before. If you have any more details, maybe I could throw more light on to that.

10. Dan,

Should have been more specific and stated Prof Greene. Ask her.

11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Looks like an excellent study and worthwhile. I did a search on 'The Indigo Trust' came up with lots of funding that they had done, but no homepage. Do you have a link for them?
  12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

13. thanks - re Indigo, No I'm afraid I coiuldnt find any info on them either; as someone else said, they are part of the Sainsbury Families Community Trusts - but other than that, and knowing that they have funded a variety of projects in the last year or so, they seem to keep a pretty low profile. I'm meeting them next week, so maybe if youre interested I could post more info
  14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well I am interested in them, I like the fact they don't have a highly visible public profile. I see their offices are just up the road from where I live. Perhaps in a few years I'll try and blag funding for my Doctorate ;)
  15. Have you ever done research on these conditions on those who are at present still suffering with the same mental health issues and have been suffering for decades with little or no help at all from governments past and present.