Mental Aptitude Tests

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by richy4, Feb 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just got my date through for briefing, 5 weeks away and wanted to do some preperation for the MAPs. Could anyone reccomend a good set of books or work papers to brush up skills on verbal/numerica/abstract reasoning?

Thanks

2. Been done before, use the search function.

I found http://www.speeddistancetime.info/ useful for numerical tests.

Use the tests they send you in the post. What's important is to identify the patterns of answering the questions correctly, once you nail the method you should be fine.

Loads of info about this topic already listed on the forum though.

Good luck!

3. I chose this thread because of the heading. We have a friend whose son has an engineering degree. He spoke to the people at Aust army recruiting, they told him he would likely be eligible for a commission, and he came and spoke to me about the Army. I told him all the negatives, and many of them I actually made up to make it sound like a terrible life.

You may ask, why the heck did you do that.

Well, recently he got a form from a govt dept that he had to fill in and return, and he called the freecall number and asked them how he had to "send it in" because at his age all his communication with other people is mobile phone and internet. The lady told him to "pop it into the envelope provided and drop it in the letterbox" = so he put it in the envelope provided, took it down to the front gate and put it in the letter box. The next day when his Mum went to get the mail out of the box she found it and gave it to him, and of course that happended the next day, and again on the third day. She then asked him, why do I keep finding the letter you posted in our letter box, and he told her, that is what the lady told me to do. So she told him about the really good Australia post letter boxes painted red, one of which is just about 200 metres down the road, and he said I always wondered what the red box was for. Thank goodness the Aust Army also has aptitude tests, and it would be nice if they find him not suitable if he does apply, can you imagine him in the Engineers trying to get a bridge or road built - upside down perhaps.

4. I chose this thread because of the heading. We have a friend whose son has an engineering degree. He spoke to the people at Aust army recruiting, they told him he would likely be eligible for a commission, and he came and spoke to me about the Army. I told him all the negatives, and many of them I actually made up to make it sound like a terrible life.

You may ask, why the heck did you do that.

Well, recently he got a form from a govt dept that he had to fill in and return, and he called the freecall number and asked them how he had to "send it in" because at his age all his communication with other people is mobile phone and internet. The lady told him to "pop it into the envelope provided and drop it in the letterbox" = so he put it in the envelope provided, took it down to the front gate and put it in the letter box. The next day when his Mum went to get the mail out of the box she found it and gave it to him, and of course that happended the next day, and again on the third day. She then asked him, why do I keep finding the letter you posted in our letter box, and he told her, that is what the lady told me to do. So she told him about the really good Australia post letter boxes painted red, one of which is just about 200 metres down the road, and he said I always wondered what the red box was for. Thank goodness the Aust Army also has aptitude tests, and it would be nice if they find him not suitable if he does apply, can you imagine him in the Engineers trying to get a bridge or road built - upside down perhaps.

5. How old is your friends son who hasn't worked out what the difference between a letterbox and a postbox is yet 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O ? You say he's managed to get himself an engineering degree?

I've hear of blond moments but that is something else.

6. The clue is surely "an engineering degree"??

7. Hhhmmmm.... so I got a below average rating for my MAPS test at briefing but came away with a CAT 1.
    How much of an issue will this cause me on MB?
    The group leader just said I will have to do well at everything else.

8. MAP tests get carried over into the Main Board assessment process, i.e. it'll be part of the evidence the board will be considering on the Friday after you leave. It'll also get brought up in your Education Interview, most likely triggering several SDT calculations to answer (going by what happened to others on my MB in your position).

The best thing you can do is make sure you breeze through the relatively easy computer tests on Day 1 and ensure you SDT calculations are up to scratch on the Plan-Ex; basically just prove you're smart.
    You got a Cat-1 so they obviously think you have what it takes to pass AOSB.
    Best of luck at Main Board.

9. Same boat as you mate, I was described by our group leader as a physical beast but with a below average army intellect lol...
    Still got a cat 1 just going to have to work extra hard on sdt calculations and basic maths in between now and MB.

Good luck to you mate.

Were you in the 22/23 briefing?

10. After stressing about them a bit i found them not too bad, said i got a slightly above average score. Did my briefing same time as you Xoums

11. which group were you in? I was in red.

12. Orange group...