Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by wompingwillow, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Why not when you've got it flaunt it

2. Don't do it, will make you look like an uber geek

3. Do it, but don't put it on CV

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having had a full educational psychologist's report done for other reasons it turns out I'm eligible to join Mensa, I was just wondering if anyone else out there was or is a member. Is it worth it or does it just make you look like an uber geek? It says it makes a great edition to your CV, however I'm not sure if it will not put people off as a first impression as they will write me off as an insufferable know it all and it will end up shutting more doors than it opens.

Cheers in advance,

2. I paid to take the invigilated exam. Passed with flying colours (not that you can fail) and was told I was in the top 2% and able to join if I wanted. However, I wasn't prepared to pay the annual joining fee. It was nearly £50 a year if I recall?
  3. Yes. I'm also a member of MENSA. As most Paras are. :)
  4. I was just going to say that all it means is you are in the top 2% (quite a few of us):

and ask how much it cost, but Albert has answered.
  5. Yes it is impossible to 'fail' an IQ test as test is the wrong word for it, my assessment was the Weiser IQ test. It is about £50 a year but I'm willing to pay out for that if its worth it, e.g interesting sub groups, access to meetings, networking and the chance to connect with people who also only get the pish taken out of them most of the time for being a geek, then suddenly become popular when the local is running a quiz with the prize of a slab of beer!!
  6. Sounds like you have made up your mind to give it a go, WW. And, if you're motivated to do so, you should. It wouldn't be "my cup of tea", but I'm thinking that, for the sake of a year's subscription, you might regret not giving it a try.

Have fun. :D

(I've no idea about the CV ...... see how you find membership first.)
  7. I took a MENSA test once and was apparently 'one point short of a genius'. I should have been pleased but I've always felt that it sounded too much like "one sandwich short of a picnic, or, one tinny short of a six pack" etc and so have avoided membership as a result :? :lol:
  8. I've been a member for 20 years now. I met my previous partner through it and also my current wife.

I live in London which does have a more active social scene that most other areas - monthly pub crawls; eating meetings; other drink related activities and more highbrow stuff as well. (Guess which ones I might go to!)

It is what you make of it - we do a selected few meetings which appeal - many do not.

The general consensus is that MENSA membership is not a good thing to put on your CV - membership of an international social group is about as much as I would show.

If your social circle needs expanding it is worth giving it a go IMHO (it worked for me) - do not expect it to be an instant cure - you need to work at it and try a few different things.

There also many Special Interest Groups (SIGs) of which you can subscribe to two free. These range from Sci-Fi to Chess to Quizzes to Religion to Trans-Gender and all stations between!
  9. I thought about it but decided i was far too smart to give the geeks the honour of associating with me. :D

A far better measure of intellect, and more acceptable on the CV is a half dozen Masters degree's.
  10. You reckon? If I read a CV with that many postnominals I'd think 'serial degree-taker' and plan some interesting interview questions... :D
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I take it that spelling is not part of the test then ? 8)
  12. Pretty similar to my own experiences... I got pi$$ed off with all the strange SIGs, including cross-dressing or similar... :roll:

And just what is all that brain power doing for the greater good of Humanity? :roll:
  13. Looks like you're right, auld yin.
  14. I work with a lot of clever people, some are ok, some are terribly dull, but we all enjoy radio 4 and have a bunch of degrees, and can pass the time amicably at coffee break. Very few of them join mensa (or would admit to it), and I think they would wonder what on earth they would do it for. It does have an unfortunate association from the ivory tower of attracting those with a bit of a chip on their shoulder about their educational background, but personally I think it's a misplaced impression, as intellect often has little to do with education. However, I'm not sure that a common intellect is any more arbitrary than colour of eyes or inside leg measurement for generating stimulating discussion or meeting people you're more likely to get on with.

Being amongst clever people is all very well, but there are bigger cnuts among them than the other 98% put together. I would echo what someone very wise once said - they used to admire people who were clever, but over the years replaced that with people who were kind. I know whom I'd rather be amongst.