Mens' Sheds

Have you heard of or are you interested in joining a Shed?

• a what now...?

• Yes - already in one

• Yes - but I'm not aware of any near me

• Maybe

• No - not interested

• No - tried it, not for me

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi guys,

Is anyone here part of a mens' shed? Has anyone heard of them?

(If not, quick summary; they are small groups of (usually) retired men (although women and younger people also welcome) who get together to work on projects such as wood-working, metal-smithing etc.. either as a team or as individuals. It's a little bit like a traditional garden shed only communal and more social - essentially an off-line version of arrse.)

I've visited a few sheds around the UK and found that there's a fairly high percentage of ex-military members amongst them and they're keen to have more.

My role (junior doctor working on an NHS 'improvement project') it to find ways to help build community resilience, lessen the culture-shock of leaving the army and promote better public perception of the military (i.e not everyone has PTSD...). I don't want to go down the traditional NHS route of throwing time and money on glossy pamphlets which is why I'd rather facilitate links with existing groups, particularly ones that are self-sustainable and independently-run.

How do people feel about this? If anyone's interested in getting involved, please let me know. I'm based in SE England but all perspectives are useful and if there's anything I can help with remotely, more than happy to.

(btw as a civilian, I am a little cautious about spamming this forum in case I overstay my welcome. If any mods want me to remove myself or need verification, happy to provide)

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Funny you mention that. Up where I live in Scotland we've just had two old codgers peering around our sports club looking for a space for their 'Shed'. It's got the backing of the council and they've got quite a bit of interest for membership once it's up and running. I think they're struggling to find a location though.

Looks like a great idea and gives the guys their own thing when the wife has her ladies clubs / bingo, etc. What they don't realise is that I'm viewing them as a ready source of slave labour for the Club and they'll get betting drafted into all the shitty little jobs that we can't be arrsed doing. :cool:

Depends if the sh*d community will come over and help me build a new man cave.

Funny you mention that. Up where I live in Scotland we've just had two old codgers peering around our sports club looking for a space for their 'Shed'. It's got the backing of the council and they've got quite a bit of interest for membership once it's up and running. I think they're struggling to find a location though.

Looks like a great idea and gives the guys their own thing when the wife has her ladies clubs / bingo, etc. What they don't realise is that I'm viewing them as a ready source of slave labour for the Club and they'll get betting drafted into all the shitty little jobs that we can't be arrsed doing. :cool:
I'm really glad to hear you view it as a mutually beneficial arrangement. That's been my impression so far: I know one used to be based in a school grounds and saved a fortune in re-wiring stuff (one of the members was a retired electrician).

A few have mentioned land being an issue. Lots of red tape (something about elderly people and heavy-duty machinery...). There are insurance companies that are starting to create custom shed policies - I'll see if I can find their details...

I've just had a look and while there are 3 in reasonable distance, one is for 50+ only (Im too young), one is during the working day only - I work, and the 3rd is a possibility - meet on a wednesday but get a key if you subscribe and are of 'good-standing' and has some quite modern kit (3D Printer etc).

Might have to have a look in sometime.

Depends if the sh*d community will come over and help me build a new man cave.
Honestly, if you have the land... A lot of sheds tend towards different skill sets e.g carpentry but anything that fosters working as a community is fair game (one renovates boats).

I recently learned how to make 'cob' buildings - traditional earth houses. Very easy to teach and quick to do with enough manpower. Could easily see that being a shed 'theme'.

I've just had a look and while there are 3 in reasonable distance, one is for 50+ only (Im too young), one is during the working day only - I work, and the 3rd is a possibility - meet on a wednesday but get a key if you subscribe and are of 'good-standing' and has some quite modern kit (3D Printer etc).

Might have to have a look in sometime.
Yeah, I've noticed some have restrictions which isn't great. I think they're hoping that eventually every village will have one (& more than one in larger areas) which would help with that.

That's a good point about them needing to be open in the evenings for those that work. I suppose one. option could be to hot-bunk with an earlier (retiree) shed - but space might be an issue there.

I like the idea of members having their own keys.

necro thread revived: I set up one in the village I live in. We joined the official Men's Shed movement and got a great deal of help from them. We rented a local building, which was a former shop and we had to do a bit of basic H and S stuff, such as have fire extinguishers on hand and fit exit signs,etc and have a functioning toilet. We fixed lawnmowers, table lamps, kids bikes, public benches, painted for old folks and made a bunch of Christmas outdoor displays and a thousand sundry other tasks. We lasted a year as there were issues between some of the members but it was good fun and worth the effort.

Hi guys,

Is anyone here part of a mens' shed? Has anyone heard of them?

(If not, quick summary; they are small groups of (usually) retired men (although women and younger people also welcome) who get together to work on projects such as wood-working, metal-smithing etc.. either as a team or as individuals. It's a little bit like a traditional garden shed only communal and more social - essentially an off-line version of arrse.)

I've visited a few sheds around the UK and found that there's a fairly high percentage of ex-military members amongst them and they're keen to have more.

My role (junior doctor working on an NHS 'improvement project') it to find ways to help build community resilience, lessen the culture-shock of leaving the army and promote better public perception of the military (i.e not everyone has PTSD...). I don't want to go down the traditional NHS route of throwing time and money on glossy pamphlets which is why I'd rather facilitate links with existing groups, particularly ones that are self-sustainable and independently-run.

How do people feel about this? If anyone's interested in getting involved, please let me know. I'm based in SE England but all perspectives are useful and if there's anything I can help with remotely, more than happy to.

(btw as a civilian, I am a little cautious about spamming this forum in case I overstay my welcome. If any mods want me to remove myself or need verification, happy to provide)
Welcome and best wishes for you rproject.

Top post, one of the guys at work was talking about Frome the other day. I literally don't have the time but for those retired it's an excellent option. OK, it be the grauniad and it be Monbiot but well worth a read,

The town that’s found a potent cure for illness – community | George Monbiot

I reckon by now the OP is either;
1, grafting 149 hrs a week, with a vigorous interest in ketamine. All whilst busy learning MENA lingoes.
2, Not thinking about sheds, anyway. Unless 'SHEDS' is some sort of doctor talk, like TF Bundy, NFN, FLK, etc..