MENIN GATE

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by PLANK, Apr 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    I don't know if this is the correct forum area but here goes.
    Every evening the Fire Brigade at the MENIN GATE in Belgium sound the last post in rem/respect of all the DEAD of WW1.
    Does anyone know if they were allowed to do so during their occupation in WW2 ??

2. Having visited this fine memorial to those that fell in the Wipers salient I I can answer this.

Taken from the Wiki entry URL below.

Following the Menin Gate Memorial opening in 1927, the citizens of Ypres wanted to express their gratitude towards those who had given their lives for Belgium's freedom. As such, every evening at 8.00, buglers from the local fire brigade close the road which passes under the Memorial and play the Last Post. Except for the occupation by the Germans in World War II when the daily ceremony was conducted at Brookwood Military Cemetery, in Surrey, England, this ceremony has been carried on uninterrupted since, July 2nd, 1928. On the very evening that Polish forces liberated Ypres in the Second War, the ceremony was resumed at the Menin Gate despite the fact that heavy fighting was still taking place in other parts of the town.

Read more with photo's here:

Menin Gate Wiki Page

I have seen the 20.00hrs display and it is very moving. You are stood under the arch with the notes of the Last Post echoing around you surrounded by the names of thousands of soldiers that paid the ultimate price for their country.

Makes a fortnights holiday in Tehran and a good old whinge and compassionate leave on return pale into insignificance doesn't it.

3. THANK YOU geezer 466 :D :D

4. I laid my T.A. Units wreath at the Menin Gate 4 weeks before I deployed on Telic II, I'm not ashamed to admit there were tears in my eyes during the Last Post ceremony.

5. The Last Post is played the members of the local Fire Brigade, and any attending Service personnel both past and present are made most welcome, now if you are carrying a Standard as well that gets extra attention

6. Its a good idea to contact the Last Post Association in advance if you want to lay a wreath or are brigning a large group. The Last Post Association can arrange for an extended ceremony to accommodate people who want to pay their respects in different ways - bands, bagpipers, choirs, blessings etc.

http://www.lastpost.be/index.asp

We have several tours going to Ypres to attend the Menin Gate Ceremony. These include the following:

- Battlefield Tours to Ypres on 26-27 May 16-17 June 6-7 July and 25-26 August

- The 80th Anniversary of the first ever Royal British Legion Pilgrimage - to the opening of the Menin Gate in 1927. This will be a formal Legion Pilgrimage with standard bearers on 4-5th August 2007

- Pilgrimage to the Battlefields of Ypres Loos and Vimy Ridge, including the Remembrance Day commemorations at Ypres on 11 Nov 2007.

If you want to arrange a group visit to Ypres to attend the Menin Gate Ceremony on any other date we would be very happy to arrange transport, accommodation guides wreaths etc.

We will help people to find the locations of graves relatives, however distant, and accommodate personal grave visits within our itineraries if at all possible. We can often also find our what happened to someone's unit and where that action took place at the time they died.

7. No they weren't allowed to carry on...from 1940-1944 these "sessions" were stopped by the Germans. Nearby at Hill 62, the Belgian owner had to hide all the WW1 artefacts becuase the Germans wanted to steal them and take them back to Germany...so the owner hid them in a basement and claimed that the brits took them! Well it saved the artefacts...the Germans of WW2 did not fully appreciate the memorials/rememberance of WW1. Hope this helps!

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

From 11 November, 1929 the Last Post has been sounded at the Menin Gate memorial every night and in all weathers. The only exception to this was during the four years of the German occupation of Ypres from 20 May 1940 to 6 September 1944. The daily ceremony was instead continued in England at Brookwood Military Cemetery, Surrey. On the very evening that Polish forces liberated Ypres the ceremony was resumed at the Menin Gate, in spite of the heavy fighting still going on in other parts of the town.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/westfront/ypsalient/meningate/lastpost.htm

9. Can somebody else please repeat something from a post in this thread?

10. Can somebody else please repeat something from a post in this thread?

I'll get my coat................

11. My great great uncle is buried at Ypres, and his name is on the Menin Gate

12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

A ggod book on the Menin gate I found, strangely enough, in Ypres.

The Menin Gate and Last Post by Dominiek Dendoovan.

The Gate itself had an importance with Hitler who gave a specific order no damage would be caused to it. Obviously due to his involvement on the Salient in 1917. The Germans even repaired the damage caused by the British in 1940. Ypres fell to the Germans on 29 May 1940 and was no liberated until 6 Sept 1944, the retreating German General gave orders that no damage was to be caused and the order was followed to the letter with no damage being caused.

13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The Menin Gate names are those with no know grave. He may well be buried in a grave marked as an unknown soldier but equally his body may not have been recovered and he has no grave.

I have a great uncle's name on the gate.

14. That surprises me a little bit because I understood the germans of WW2 rather appreciated the fact that the people looked after both sides graveyards etc from WW1. So an attempt at interference here I would have thought unlikely - though if wiki says....

15. I didn't know that thanks I know on the day he died 37 went missing so he was one of these