Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

"Men Only" retreats.

I suspect that since the dawn of the human race, there have been some women who just can't stand seeing a man or a group of men happy and having a good time.

I'm old enough now to not give a toss about this $h!te, but I do wonder what the future holds for the generations of men growing up now.

I suspect that since the dawn of the human race, there have been some women who just can't stand seeing a man or a group of men happy and having a good time.

I'm old enough now to not give a toss about this $h!te, but I do wonder what the future holds for the generations of men growing up now.

That is why they will only have sex at midnight and the lights off,
They hate seeing men enjoying themselves.

Maybe if there were less women bitching about men in general ,there'd be less of us chucking ourselves under a bus to get away from them.

I'm all for men talking to each other, but it's less about these groups and more about us doing what we all learned in the mob - keep an eye on your oppo and ask him from time to time if he's alright.

Then steal his missus,

I know.

But the latter half of the article does give you food for thought about the high levels of suicide amongst men, especially in the early 20s and 30s.
Yes but there was a lot of economic hardship and financial crashes and the like in the early 20s and 30s so it's not surprising that suicides were endemic back then.

whistling.gif

Socially engineering situations where people are expected to "unload" to total strangers is no more than a cynical way of making money out of peoples psychological difficulties.
This, but also a cynical way of imposing a specific set of beliefs on them. I haven't read the whole article either; I felt a bit ill after the first couple of paragraphs. There was another 'Men being Rough in the Wilderness Together' thing which was discussed here a few years ago, I think. Half of them wanted to feel the bottoms of the other half.

I dunno. I get that paying out a bit to hug a furry Swiss bloke might be too much for some, if it helps some guy step back from the brink, then I say give it a go.
All you tough guys out there! One, two, three....grrrr!
(Don’t join if you don’t want to)

Absolutely fascinating topic. Evidenced by the range of responses from members of this site. (I doubt the same response could be garnered on any other forum).
I am fortunate in that although I have experienced failure in work and relationships, I have never considered suicide as an option.
Self analysis is a useful tool, but it does need to be placed in context.

The allusion to the depression of the 20s and 30s and increased male suicide is a useful starting point. Go back further in history to the hunter gatherer times. Men accepting responsibility for a wider failure of society for which they were not necessarily to blame.

Survival of the fittest anyone? No such burden has traditionally been placed on women, who could respond to infant mortality by simply having more offspring.

Is it any wonder that men are seething with repressed anger, and afraid to show any signs of weakness. I find it telling that, despite the demonstrably lower suicide rates, a route map for women was devised almost two decades ago, while us mere blokes, continue to hide our feelings, especially anger.

I’m all for getting men to express their true feelings, but shelling out 400 quid to do so will only liberate those who can actually afford it. The military environment is one that probably accentuates the issues raised in the article, so we can only hope that, the mental health premium now being recognized at national level, and will adopt some of these mentoring skills in the treatment of PTSD.
The percentage of ex military in prisons, higher suicide rates and living rough, would indicate that cost is only one issue to be resolved.

I was looking for a lodger and this Saffer turned up to check the gaff out. Everyone loved him, hippy chicks dug him, very new age, very vegan and yoga. The daft **** even ran a "Men! express yourself through dance music" workshop in a local village hall.

I didn't like him, my radar went red. I chinned him off

Couple of months ago he was front page in the local paper when the police raided his house to arrest him for multiple rapes they found 5kg of eccies under his bed.......

I'll stick with the drinking and fighting repressed type blokes over group hugs and manly weeping types

Probably from Cape Town, the lisping poodle touching fop.

As for paying some pseudo shrink to have other blokes around because you're Billy-No-Mates and might top yourself, a good start would be to smash all your mobile devices and start talking to real people in the real world rather than your virtual bubble, FFS.

Absolutely fascinating topic. Evidenced by the range of responses from members of this site. (I doubt the same response could be garnered on any other forum).
I am fortunate in that although I have experienced failure in work and relationships, I have never considered suicide as an option.
Self analysis is a useful tool, but it does need to be placed in context.

The allusion to the depression of the 20s and 30s and increased male suicide is a useful starting point. Go back further in history to the hunter gatherer times. Men accepting responsibility for a wider failure of society for which they were not necessarily to blame.

Survival of the fittest anyone? No such burden has traditionally been placed on women, who could respond to infant mortality by simply having more offspring.

Is it any wonder that men are seething with repressed anger, and afraid to show any signs of weakness. I find it telling that, despite the demonstrably lower suicide rates, a route map for women was devised almost two decades ago, while us mere blokes, continue to hide our feelings, especially anger.

I’m all for getting men to express their true feelings, but shelling out 400 quid to do so will only liberate those who can actually afford it. The military environment is one that probably accentuates the issues raised in the article, so we can only hope that, the mental health premium now being recognized at national level, and will adopt some of these mentoring skills in the treatment of PTSD.
The percentage of ex military in prisons, higher suicide rates and living rough, would indicate that cost is only one issue to be resolved.

Childbirth is still, and this in the modern West with all our medecinal genius, the most dangerous thing women experience in their lives.

Why do women still die giving birth?

Over 300,000 still die every year from complications, it was a lot worse in hunter gatherer societies where survival is more marginal than settled agrarian societies. Couple in the fact that waddling around regularly like a beached whale makes you an easy target for predators or other groups, then there's the whole child rearing thing - so in reality the burden is on a par with the male.

For example in Britain, in the 1700-1750s the MMR was 10.5 per 1,000
Today it's 8.2 per 100,000

Figures from here

Maternal mortality: how many women die in childbirth in your country?

Why do women still die giving birth?

British maternal mortality in the 19th and early 20th centuries