"Men Only" retreats.

Absolutely fascinating topic. Evidenced by the range of responses from members of this site. (I doubt the same response could be garnered on any other forum).
I am fortunate in that although I have experienced failure in work and relationships, I have never considered suicide as an option.
Self analysis is a useful tool, but it does need to be placed in context.

The allusion to the depression of the 20s and 30s and increased male suicide is a useful starting point. Go back further in history to the hunter gatherer times. Men accepting responsibility for a wider failure of society for which they were not necessarily to blame.

Survival of the fittest anyone? No such burden has traditionally been placed on women, who could respond to infant mortality by simply having more offspring.

Is it any wonder that men are seething with repressed anger, and afraid to show any signs of weakness. I find it telling that, despite the demonstrably lower suicide rates, a route map for women was devised almost two decades ago, while us mere blokes, continue to hide our feelings, especially anger.

I’m all for getting men to express their true feelings, but shelling out 400 quid to do so will only liberate those who can actually afford it. The military environment is one that probably accentuates the issues raised in the article, so we can only hope that, the mental health premium now being recognized at national level, and will adopt some of these mentoring skills in the treatment of PTSD.
The percentage of ex military in prisons, higher suicide rates and living rough, would indicate that cost is only one issue to be resolved.

I was looking for a lodger and this Saffer turned up to check the gaff out. Everyone loved him, hippy chicks dug him, very new age, very vegan and yoga. The daft **** even ran a "Men! express yourself through dance music" workshop in a local village hall.

I didn't like him, my radar went red. I chinned him off

Couple of months ago he was front page in the local paper when the police raided his house to arrest him for multiple rapes they found 5kg of eccies under his bed.......

I'll stick with the drinking and fighting repressed type blokes over group hugs and manly weeping types
Probably from Cape Town, the lisping poodle touching fop.

As for paying some pseudo shrink to have other blokes around because you're Billy-No-Mates and might top yourself, a good start would be to smash all your mobile devices and start talking to real people in the real world rather than your virtual bubble, FFS.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Absolutely fascinating topic. Evidenced by the range of responses from members of this site. (I doubt the same response could be garnered on any other forum).
I am fortunate in that although I have experienced failure in work and relationships, I have never considered suicide as an option.
Self analysis is a useful tool, but it does need to be placed in context.

The allusion to the depression of the 20s and 30s and increased male suicide is a useful starting point. Go back further in history to the hunter gatherer times. Men accepting responsibility for a wider failure of society for which they were not necessarily to blame.

Survival of the fittest anyone? No such burden has traditionally been placed on women, who could respond to infant mortality by simply having more offspring.

Is it any wonder that men are seething with repressed anger, and afraid to show any signs of weakness. I find it telling that, despite the demonstrably lower suicide rates, a route map for women was devised almost two decades ago, while us mere blokes, continue to hide our feelings, especially anger.

I’m all for getting men to express their true feelings, but shelling out 400 quid to do so will only liberate those who can actually afford it. The military environment is one that probably accentuates the issues raised in the article, so we can only hope that, the mental health premium now being recognized at national level, and will adopt some of these mentoring skills in the treatment of PTSD.
The percentage of ex military in prisons, higher suicide rates and living rough, would indicate that cost is only one issue to be resolved.
Childbirth is still, and this in the modern West with all our medecinal genius, the most dangerous thing women experience in their lives.

Why do women still die giving birth?

Over 300,000 still die every year from complications, it was a lot worse in hunter gatherer societies where survival is more marginal than settled agrarian societies. Couple in the fact that waddling around regularly like a beached whale makes you an easy target for predators or other groups, then there's the whole child rearing thing - so in reality the burden is on a par with the male.

For example in Britain, in the 1700-1750s the MMR was 10.5 per 1,000
Today it's 8.2 per 100,000

Figures from here

Maternal mortality: how many women die in childbirth in your country?

British maternal mortality in the 19th and early 20th centuries

Childbirth is still, and this in the modern West with all our medecinal genius, the most dangerous thing women experience in their lives.

Over 300,000 still die every year from complications, it was a lot worse in hunter gatherer societies where survival is more marginal than settled agrarian societies. Couple in the fact that waddling around regularly like a beached whale makes you an easy target for predators or other groups, then there's the whole child rearing thing - so in reality the burden is on a par with the male.

For example in Britain, in the 1700-1750s the MMR was 10.5 per 1,000
Today it's 8.2 per 100,000

Figures from here

Maternal mortality: how many women die in childbirth in your country?

British maternal mortality in the 19th and early 20th centuries
The mention female fecundity was a tad mischievous on my part. Done to illustrate a point, rather than undermine maternal mortality. :)

Now you can see this as more Snowflake f*ckwittery or you can look at it as a means of being able to deal with quite deep seated issues that need to be discussed within a male only environment.

I've never felt the need to join one of these things but there are times when the traditional pint down the pub might not cut it. I've read many other articles about "Shed Clubs" and PTSD workshops that allow blokes to talk about psychological trauma with other sufferers as well as meetings that prevent lonliness by just getting men (of all ages) to be in the company of other blokes doing blokey things.

I know it's the NAAFI so I'm expecting a certain amount of "robust" comments but considering the focus on mental health issues what do others think about this sort of thing and would you pay good cash to attend one.

What I learnt on a men-only retreat - BBC News
Looking at the picture accompanying the linked article, I can only surmise that they are the Milton Keynes branch of the Lib Dems comprised only of those who broke away from Labour as they were a bit intimidated by Jeremy Corbyn.

I used to go to a "Men Only Retreat" in Wildenwrath. The small bottles of Champagne seemed to be over priced, but the "company" was second to none. Strangely, the "company" consisted of scantily dressed females

3 pages and no one has chimed in with the term "toxic masculinity" yet :mrgreen:

TFFT

Indeed. I'm not sure how this tragedy should be addressed, but I know for damn certain it's not through forcing young men to "bond" with strangers and charging them for the privilege. :mad:
I suppose in the army's defence they do pay them.

In a sensible world we'd all get on and do what we want, within laws that prevented physical harm to others, but it's too much of an industry to be offended and keep a lawyer in business, so all this nonsense gets trotted out.

These supposed mens only 'clubs' won't last long because as soon as the fat, speccy lesbians find out they will invade screeching something about women's rights.
If it is not the lessies getting in the way, it will be the standard females who think either, those males are having too much fun by themselves as a group, or they are doing far more interesting things than the sisterhood and I am going to put the spanner in the works.
Far more dangerous than any feminist types...start having fun and they'll find a way to stop you... ;-)

Now that you have let the cat out of the bag they won't be a bastion of male freedom much longer.
The shrieking screeching harpies will soon be descending in force bulk.
They can't have males enjoying themselves by doing their own thing.
They can call themselves the Masonettes. Ba doom, tish!

Yes but there was a lot of economic hardship and financial crashes and the like in the early 20s and 30s so it's not surprising that suicides were endemic back then.

Sorry NSP, I meant in their 20's and 30's as in age (although that's still a valid point to make).

I've edited it to make it clearer.

Last edited:
My father was beginning to enjoy and be involved with men in sheds then it was ruined by the council. Not enough lbgtnwq tg and c's apparently. They had to stop fiddling with old air rifles and pistols as it broke the gunz are bad rules. cuntz. He doesn't go now.

This whole thread is worrying. Why should there be just "men only" or "women only" retreats?
Where are the transgender retreats, the gay retreats, the lesbian retreats, the ginger retreats, the left-handed retreats, the train/bus/aircraft spotter retreats?
Sorry, must go. Off to the Isle of Wight Independence retreat.

This whole thread is worrying. Why should there be just "men only" or "women only" retreats?
Where are the transgender retreats, the gay retreats, the lesbian retreats, the ginger retreats, the left-handed retreats, the train/bus/aircraft spotter retreats?
Sorry, must go. Off to the Isle of Wight Independence retreat.
What?
You are giving up already and retreating.