Memories of your passing out parade

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bowser-Mong, Sep 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Winchester June 1989. Day before actual passout parade during final practice. The right hand marker a tall chap monikered after a yellow ornithological creature from an American kids programme was stood at attention. It was a very hot day (June) he fainted and fell forward still in the position of attention. Ramrod staright all the way down. His SA80 was still vertical as he was horizontal. Poor chap smacked the tarmac with some force. Thankfully he was okay but sadly didnt pass out the following day. He did go on to have a career and is still in I believe.

2. OK - now we have outed the cnut can we get back on topic - my passing out parade was really nice.

No - it really was - IJLB Oswestry 19 ...... last century - you don't see drill like that anymore - not even from the Tops, wooden 6 ft I'm afraid.

The guy (Maj Gen) that took the salute happened to be the guy, at the time, who organised all the London Ceremonial shit and he said our advance in review order - 1200 'boys' aged 15-(almost)18 was the best drill movement he had ever seen in his life.

RSM at the time was a certain Jan Hooper - Coldstreams - anyone remember him? Just interested.

3. Mine was in '92. I was the only fecker in step as well :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mine was 72 (thanks a bunch!) and I'm thinking '92 what a sprog' but that gives you fifteen years service hence - it's not fair - please God, put this mind in a more suitable body - well, at least one with more head hair - darker too FFS!

I can still cycle 10 miles in under 30 mins if the wind is favourable and it's only fair that I look at least as young as those I overtake so fast that they think they are stationary on their stupid mountain bikes.

5. 23rd December '64... Yeah I'm an old bastard

Got the prize for champion shot (either coz I was good with the 7.62 bren, or maybe some plonker was firing on my target)

Anyway my SLR was number UEA12962, gas regulator had to be on 4 and we had smart No2 dress, not the cheap sh*te they issue nowadays. Oh and I wasn't very good at bulling boots so one of my mates did mine for me.

Remember those days in the depot in Ballymena fondly - And still walk to work every day in life regardless of the weather.

QUIS SEPARABIT

6. 'kin ell!

I feel much better now.

Is that the date of your passing out parade? Surely not!

7. Yep... Surely is

And I was a rifleman

8. It pissed down, then it pissed down some more and when it had finished pissing down it started pissing down again

• Like Like x 2
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Yep - mine was also Oswestry - May '68. Jan Hooper at that time was the Drill Sgt and RSM Bing GG was the top dog. Can't recall who took the salute but as you say, drill was shithot.

10. Nov 82 - chuffed to be selected for the silent drill display for the mums, dads, wives, girlfriends (and one or two boyfriends it was suspected!!). But what a bunch of uncoordinated fcuk-ups we turned out to be. The purpose of drill is to move a body of men from A to B in an orderly manner....oh, no. not for us - at each and every rehearsal, like a bunch of spastics in a magnet factory, we'd fcuk off in all directions. Even the night before the parade, you could guarantee that one tawt would advance in review order whilst the rest of the squad about turned or as the body saluted to the right one knobber in the middle would halt!

But come the day, do not ask me how but talk of divine intervention....it all went perfectly - the drill pigs (expecting a total catastrophe) stood there slack jawed in disbelief as this bunch of retards pulled off the most flawless display of drill without commands ever witnessed (well, sort of!).

Woo Hoo!!!

11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Silence is golden - :D

12. Did you do the 'sweaty halt'

(Instead of 'Check -- one-two' the IJLB sweaty halt went 'Checkone --- two')

13. Junior Bleeders - Taunton - back in the 70's. Warm sunny day but we pranced around like a shower of shit me thinks. Mum was very proud.

14. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

A Glorious Day ... possibly helped to save the Nation! :D :D :D

Attached Files:

15. Dec 91 - passed off the square at THE DEPOT, Keogh Barracks

accompanied by the Band of the Womans Royal Army Corps !

Did make me giggle when the Director general AMS inspected the troops to the tune of 'Rudolph the Red Nosed reindeer'

It was chuffin cold that day

• Like Like x 1