Memories of your favourite exercise

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by walting_matilda, Mar 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I remember many years ago our CO made us revert to our infantry role and participated in a regimental attack. Being of that exercise and watching it all come together................. Magic.

What was your favourite memory?
  2. Ex Snow Queen,Bavaria mid 70s best skive ever till money for ski lift pass ran out then had do do x country skiing for remainder,what a bummer,but happy days,stayed in German guest house bussed to the mountain then on the p1ss every night,quality.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. We used do drift dive on the way back from the pub,remeber one guy concussing on a hidden fence post.
  5. Crusader 1980, got a Bedford license with four hours of driver training...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Lion Suns in Cyprus- drink drink and more drink!
  7. Ex REDSHANK and Ex GOLBETROT were always my favourite, only outdone by the wonderful DRUIDS DANCE, marvellous!!!! Ex OPEN DOOR in Portugal was good for a piss up, but the best must have been Ex TRUMPET DANCE (Fort Lewis, Yakima, Seattle!!!).
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Ex Storm King. Details are now sketchy, but I seem to recall whole battalion drove to Catterick from Colchester, then from there to Sennybridge, only to find we should have been on Salisbury. 3 weeks of little sleep, little food and farting around Britain.
  9. Med Man 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 enjoyed everyone of them.

Also enjoyed the really big exercises in Germany which lasted 6 weeks.

But Soltau used to make me cry as no matter how long we cammed up for old WOLFGANG in his small blue fricky wagon always and I mean always used to find us, terraine never mattered either as his wagon never got bogged in. I thínk that the Armoured Development unit should have taken a look at his van and used it as a prototype for off road vehicles.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Crusader '80 in Germany was a huge exercise as was Ex. Spearpoint '82?

Remember doing a Coy. attack down a busy high street with civvies everywhere
    Helecopter attack onto a school (on school day) where some STAB engineers were dug in.
    Living in someones garden with the lads using their shower and toilet - poor sods toilet a right mess

playing a local football team (while on exercise) we wore red PT vests/blue shorts (issued)
    them in full german national kit with the diagonal stripe - thought we were gonna get hammered.. we won.. party with the Mayor in the clubhouse afterwards (tea and sticky's) - back to slit treach that night - surreal!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ex Lionheart 1984.

Driving around aimlessly for days on end in a Bedford MK.
    Christ only knows what I was supposed to be doing.

Best skive ever and even got saluted by a WO2 during a NBC attack because I was carrying an SMG.
  12. The old days of jamming the works ticket on the pedal and autobahn changeovers whilst moving :)
  13. Ex Runnel Stone with the Danes, always good for a laugh.
  14. One Flying Falcon we had aMedic Sgt with us who got given Site Commander for our Commhead. He was fat and unfit and the power went to his head. Lots of "Where's your beret? You cant sleep there! Have you washed and shaved? Take an extra etc."

Anyway, whilst supervising litter picking he puts his SMG down on the Line Rover roof. Liney doesn't notice and proceeds to drive off. Ten minutes later Audey Murphy cant remember where he put his weapon and we all get called in to search for it. After half an hour of no weapon found the OC decides somabody must have had a grudge against the said medman and must have thrown his SMG in the farmers cess pit.

Well it's his weapon and we're not going in there. Cue the man himself covered in black bin bags to waist height scrabbling around in 3 feet of pig manure just as the Line Rover drives back in after travelling 10 miles with his weapon still on the roof.

Oh how we chortled.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Can anyone remember the name of the FTX which was held in BAOR in August / Sept 1989? was in the field for about 6 weeks or so if I remember correctly.

Ex Womble on Soltau and Hohne - supposed to be clearing up rubbish, hid in the back of a Bedford all week :)