Memories of Woolwich

As we (The Gunners) are moving out of Woolwich lets have your memories of the place.

Was it being there as a recruit, first boot run down the dell on a hot summers day to brake your first boots in.

Was it being posted there at some time as a drill pig or some other instructor or part of 16 Regt RA

Was it just staying there while your unit did some parade or duty some were close.

Or was it there on the pop Flaming Joes, the Star, the Pullmans the Earl or the Kings.

This is the first ive heard of this,whats happening is the woolwich barracks getting closed completely.I only did stab training there in 1985 with 17 training regt ,which at the time seemed to be 2 weeks of pure hell,bumping floors till 01.30am ish up at 04.30. PT, breakfast ,then lessons followed by 10 mins to eat lunch.rapid changes of uniform in the middle of the night,getting beasted up and down the front parade ground for moving my finger whilst doing drill but its the best thing i ever did in my life(regret not going full time)My memories of the dell are not so pleasant we had to go in the gas chamber first under the watchfull evil eye of sgt Spong (then go plodding round the dell and assault course,fortunately didnt do the death slide over the water cos it was contaminated.Im really surprised its closing as to me this is the home of the royal artillery

not closing but ra moving to larkhill lock stock and barrel cerrimonial troops moving to woolwich ( guards have wanted our parade square for years ) chealsea brks being sold of.
i did my ta btc in feb 86 and loved it and did a lot of courses there as well
sad to loose the gunners home but i think the officers mess is staying there as well as the silver room and medal rooms, gunner mag already at larkhill al the rest move this year, i think there is a farewell parade and
dinners in 2007

Not everyone is moving out, CVHQ RA is staying and so is the RA Band.

d12gnr

Sorry mate the officers mess is going to be moved to larkhill same as the Sgt mess. Apart from what belongs to 16 regt which will go with them for there messes.

Entered B Section, Le Cateau Troop, 17 (Tg) Regt. May '69.
Bdr. Grant (Albert) a scouse refugee from 7 (Para) RHA and our principal Section NCO ( no criticism of the others, he was simply outstanding) was a wonderful man. Formed a great deal of my own character, and I dare say that of many others. I extended my stay at 17 with a brief but ultimately unsuccessful interlude in the "Plonk" wing, O.C Captain Cannon.
I loiter here from time to time ( sad old fart ) to assist Young Rat in his pre-selection endeavours.

good memories of my basic training 1975,C section, inkerman troop,was worried when we heard our drill sgt`s name was FURY,turned out he was a great guy, our bdr`s were thompson & reid
http://groups.msn.com/GunnersRA/glocatingtroop40regt.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=193[/img]

Big Jim Cannon - top bloke and a fine example to POs!

Another ex Le Cateau here 87-88

That first weekend, coveralls and brand new boots tabbing down to the dell and being told that we were going to be the last unit to do this, yeah right

Passing off the square and WHAT a square

Drill and turnout competition in a force 9 gale, controlling giggles watching the RSM chase off after his cap.

The promise of a xmas party with the QA from QEMH

Practicing the slow match coming back from the cookhouse.

The Troop Sgt loosing his rag at anyone walking across the drill square from the Skill To Arm wing

Being marched to the PRI shop to buy our "issue" tracksuits, and what lovely tracksuits they were, all thick, hairy and 70s wide collared.

Gus the Gorilla

The Kings Arms across the road

Volunteering for guard as it meant you could get to the chippy

The list is endless

Wellyhead

I can promise you that you were not the last to go down the dell in coveralls and brand new boots as i was part of the last intake to do phase 1 training at woolwich in 1992 and we most certanly broke our boots in around and through the dell.

I broke my ankle in the dell - on the water jump whilst on a Pre-RCB visit. The nice PTI refused to believe it was broken because it didn't swell up. After the period, he grudgingly conceded to taking me to the Med Centre - where a broken ankle was revealed. Oh what a shafting he got from a)the Troop officer, b)the Regimental Secretary (Col blowers) and finally from Guy Hatch! Happy days.

defender said:
Wellyhead

I can promise you that you were not the last to go down the dell in coveralls and brand new boots as i was part of the last intake to do phase 1 training at woolwich in 1992 and we most certanly broke our boots in around and through the dell.
Yeah I know mate, sarcasim is difficult on t'web.

I know becuase 24 Bty behind us did it and were told that they were going to be the last :roll:

My lasting memory of that experience was getting to the waters edge with full screws screaming at you to jump in but we were caught in a queue as they were trying to stick to the side

"bugger that" I thought and promptly ran to the outside of the mass and leapt as far as I could, the thoughts threw my head went as follows

1. FECK ME ITS FECKING COLD !!!1
2. Err I, like can't touch the bottom guys
3. COLD FECKING FECKING COLD CAN'T FECKING MOVE
4. No, like I'm being serious here I can't touch the bottom and am going into system shock as its so cold
5. JESUS H FECKING CHRIST AND ALL THINGS FECKING HOLY IT IS FECKING COOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDD
6. Er like help I'm drowning here

Somehow I got to the edge and dragged myself out the other side and carried on the the next bit, yes I wasn't so reckless on that one

Was there in 83 doing basic getting caned by Dougie 'FizzBomb' Fissenden from 7 Para...what a mare but a decent guy looking back. I remember laughing out loud when one morning Bdr Jeff 'Judy' Gartland was inspecting our room. A bed block flashed past the window from the room above and I couldn't help myself. He asked if I thought it was funny to which I said 'Yes Bdr' so he got Titch McGee to throw mine out as well.....HAPPY DAYS! Other memories include getting ripped off for having to jeans from Ash Taylor! How naive we were. Did my Bdr Leadership Course there too which was good. Shame we've lost it.

The room under the bell house in stripys mess, could not wait to move. the joy of being a nig stripy.

hot summer, early morning PT and a shower so quick you were still sweating as you pulled on your shirt KF! Nice!
Fightling sleep in a hot classroom in afternoon first aid lessons....
Bed blocks, smiley socks, bumping the floor...
Oh, and finally marching through the arch mit SLR... what a relief!

cheers shelldrake now i have to go back and see my therapist memorys come flooding back, it was so good i went back for a second helping ( sgts course)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R OTC and ACF 129
Soldier_Why Royal Signals 268
G Aviation 107