Memories of Verden

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Soldier_Why, Feb 14, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Verden, how I miss it.  Getting pisssed in the Sqn Bar at 1200 hrs every Friday before staggering back to the block for a shower and a change of clothes to go "down town".

By "down town" of course I mean bouncing between George's Bar, the Schnelly and the Kings Pub - the only places to be seen in for the discerning squaddie about town.

I have a host of great memories of this place and was gutted when they closed it down.  Come on all you old 1 Div duffers what's the best thing you remember about being in lovely Caithness (or Shiel) Barracks?
  2. I do seem to remember that HQ Sqn had a rambling mad OC for a while (Queens I think he was), who used to talk to trees and things.

But yes, the sqaudron bar was ace and Id kill for a gyros!!!!!
  3. I remember him, he was the scruffiest man in NATO and he used to drive the SSM (mad geordie George B) wild.
  4. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

And that big piss up every year - the Dom something or other.
  5. And the most boring BFT route in BFG.  Out the gate, turn left, run for a mile and a half and turn round!
  6. Remember a bar next to the shnelly - the Bistro - full of sad german wannabe goths.  And didnt the Kings pub get torched/flooded/robbed etc for the insurance on a regular basis?
  7. What about that mad Irish RSM who thought it would be a good idea to test the guard by throwing thunder-flashes at them at 3 AM. This was at the time when the IRA were having a field day in Germany killing Brits
  8. :( They were the days remember doing the horse trials every year then getting changed and off to the Donvoy every year I miss it so much heide park down the road the best theme park in Germany now it is ace. I still have a few contacts in Verden. Flash the old 2 sqn ssm Jeff Ashwell is still there. Billy Dodds Craig Walker, Deano whitehouse to name but a few I was old 3 Sqn with a few nutters in it Liney by trade lived hard and played hard. Know where I can contact my old Line Sergeant Dave King god I miss the banter we used to have would have done 22 years there. All the best ex Verden dudes
  9. 749

749 Old-Salt

remember it being a dump and the very short time i spent there being pretty crap
    and yes the BFT route was very boring
  10. Went to verden last year for a stag weekend with some other lads from 1sqn who i still see. George's, kings and the shnellie are now all houses. The camp (caithness) is still the same, most of the blocks are now offices. The l.a.d garages and car park are stables for all the horses from over the road. The gym is still there,1sqn garages havn't changed, Sgt's mess been knocked down and a car sales there,and they built a supermarket where toc-h and naafi used to be. :cry:
    Shiel was a total mess, totaly vandalised. I had to go in to the guard room just to bring back memories of 21 days of co's pleasure. :D
    Kirby and dalton were in charge when i was there, and they had the place so happy and well run nobody wanted to leave...good times c.o's run on a friday. If you didnt beat him back you got remedial pt. He was always near the back anyway. Walking past the camp on the way home to get an esso burger and a litre can of fax beer....
  11. I spent a few years in 1ADSR as a nipper, didn't experience any of the bars first hand as I was only 7. Sounds like a right hoot tho......

There used to be a adventure park with a death slide in the woods near Adelbert Strasse or whatever it was called. I remember once seeing Freddy Kruger in those woods - its true, ask my brother.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I spent 5 years there as a kid when my dad was posted there. then what do you know i get posted there 10 years later... lived in hoppenkamp and went to churchill school.
    The adventure park is called marchenland. spent some good days in there :D
  13. I loved it that much I got my tour extended :x to 5 years.. like a bloody sentence..

I was thinking of going back over next year for a look about just for the crack.

Sheil sounds a right mess and when looking on Google Earth it looks it too.

14. Had some good times there for a brief period, got jailed with 2 others chucking furniture out of windows after OP GRANBY, was up visiting. Dalton the RSM and that T i T RP TWIGGER got called in, what a laugh.............Good old days.
  15. I remember doing the walk of shame many an early hours up the main drag from georges and kings - and the place on the corner - the Sit in i think.

Also the sand pits round the back of Shiel getting ragged on PT.

And the wierd bloke in the Sparky by the main gate who just used to rip up your withdrawal slip stating the immortal words - "You have nothing!!" - could always get 100 marks of him for a six pack of becks tho.

Was my first Unit and most favourite - ford memeories indeed!!!

And Twigger the RP was a cnut!!