Memories of Bletchley Park - Barbara E. Waite

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Hard-Stop, Apr 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having recently attended the funeral of my neighbour and step-in grandmother, Barbara Elizabeth Waite, I thought I'd share a little something with all of those interested in the history of WWII and Bletchley Park in particular.

Barbara died on Valentines Day of this year - she was a MORSE slip reader at the infamous Bletchley Park. She even met (and had a dance with) Major Glenn Miller shortly before his disappearance in 1944.

I've attached her memoirs to this post and I hope some of you will enjoy reading about her experiences during the war.

A lovely lady, with an incredible intellect and a wicked sense of humour.

RIP Barbara.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. should sympathise with your loss, however this is a great read with a totally different perspective from the normal things you hear about time at Bletchly Park, and perfectly summarises a lost breed with her comment on being bombed in the blitz - 'What a hoot!!'

This is a must read.
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

is it as good as hut 33? :)
  4. "The goose that didn't cackle"... from the idiot that did after World War 1 and published. Nobody even knew for 3 decades about Bletchley Park. Special people indeed.
  5. Thank you for your service Barbara
  6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Unfortunately Cairncorss cackled regularly to Stalin but mercifully he didn't see it as in his interest to cut off what he was getting by sneaking to Hitler.
  7. A totally different generation to what we have now.

Thanks for sharing that.

8. I hope she had a hoofing send-off and I have to reflect the comments of other posters about it being a different breed, a different generation. She sounded a lovely lady and I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks :)
  9. Mate, I too thoroughly enjoyed it, but couldn`t help thinking throughout the read, that with a bit of expansion, this could make the basis of a cracking novel.

want to echo the thoughts of others on this thread as well.
  10. An interesting insight. I keep meaning to visit Bletchley but never seem to get around to it.