Memorial service, Basra

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tropper66, Apr 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Must sack my cleaner to much dust in this room,BBC now
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Humbling, isn't it......
  3. Shouldnt the PM have been there ??
  4. No, the morally corrupt Wonk had his hands full, trying to shaft the Gurkhas
  5. Yes it was live, I was on it.

A powerful and humbling service, well done Padre, you hit the right note.
  6. ow **** i missed it
  7. Mrs Dave and I watched it and I must admit both she and I were in a very dusty room. God Bless, guys and girls.

Well done, BBC (and Sky) for suspending normal transmissions for a very important service.

8. Bloody hell they couldnt have found a worse translator if they tried!!

Back on topic, Where could i find the service? Is it on iplayer yeet?
  9. Wrong, he was sucking the Iraqi PM in London
  10. If any of you want to moan about the fat Crab that was shown on the BBC, I'm afraid it was me. And yes....I know I'm fat!

A sad service though. I lost a colleague here last year (Baz Barwood) and it makes it even more personal.

Stand easy guys.
  11. Whole of the Roll of Honour was broadcast on BBC R4 PM.

Credit when credit is due - Well done the Beeb

Emotional broadcast and my phone didn't ring - not that it was going to get answered.
  12. The reading and broadcasting of the Roll of Honour was a nice thought, but it was spoilt by sloppy delivery. Some ranks were read out in abbreviated form. Officers' initials were read out, but those of ORs were not. There is a time and a place for the Army's archaic naming conventions and this was not it. It is no good us criticising politicians for making such gaffs, when we cannot even get it right ourselves.
  13. There was an army spokesman, a Captain on PM tonight saying that the reading of Officer's initials is Army protocol. Something to do with confusing ORinitials with decorations and therefore correct in that sense. Whether the protocol is entirely right in a moral sense is a different argument....
  14. He should have apologised for what was an arrogant and insensitive mistake, rather than trying to come up with a bullshit excuse.

If an officer or an OR had a gallantry award, you would read it out in full (e.g. "Private F Bloggs, George Cross"). No confusion there.