Memorial service, Basra

#1
Must sack my cleaner to much dust in this room,BBC now
 
#2
Humbling, isn't it......
 
#3
#5
RABC said:
Shouldnt the PM have been there ??
No, the morally corrupt Wonk had his hands full, trying to shaft the Gurkhas
 
#7
ow **** i missed it
 
#8
Mrs Dave and I watched it and I must admit both she and I were in a very dusty room. God Bless, guys and girls.

Well done, BBC (and Sky) for suspending normal transmissions for a very important service.

Dave
 
#9
bovvy said:
Been watching it on BBC 1 TV for the past half hour or so.
It's good to see a dedicated televising of it on BBC 1 ...... is it LIVE?
Also on here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7459669.stm
Bloody hell they couldnt have found a worse translator if they tried!!

Back on topic, Where could i find the service? Is it on iplayer yeet?
 
#10
tropper66 said:
RABC said:
Shouldnt the PM have been there ??
No, the morally corrupt Wonk had his hands full, trying to shaft the Gurkhas
Wrong, he was sucking the Iraqi PM in London
 
#11
If any of you want to moan about the fat Crab that was shown on the BBC, I'm afraid it was me. And yes....I know I'm fat!

A sad service though. I lost a colleague here last year (Baz Barwood) and it makes it even more personal.

Stand easy guys.
 
#12
Whole of the Roll of Honour was broadcast on BBC R4 PM.

Credit when credit is due - Well done the Beeb

Emotional broadcast and my phone didn't ring - not that it was going to get answered.
 
#13
The reading and broadcasting of the Roll of Honour was a nice thought, but it was spoilt by sloppy delivery. Some ranks were read out in abbreviated form. Officers' initials were read out, but those of ORs were not. There is a time and a place for the Army's archaic naming conventions and this was not it. It is no good us criticising politicians for making such gaffs, when we cannot even get it right ourselves.
 
#14
Booty said:
The reading and broadcasting of the Roll of Honour was a nice thought, but it was spoilt by sloppy delivery. Some ranks were read out in abbreviated form. Officers' initials were read out, but those of ORs were not. There is a time and a place for the Army's archaic naming conventions and this was not it. It is no good us criticising politicians for making such gaffs, when we cannot even get it right ourselves.
There was an army spokesman, a Captain on PM tonight saying that the reading of Officer's initials is Army protocol. Something to do with confusing ORinitials with decorations and therefore correct in that sense. Whether the protocol is entirely right in a moral sense is a different argument....
 
#15
He should have apologised for what was an arrogant and insensitive mistake, rather than trying to come up with a bullshit excuse.

If an officer or an OR had a gallantry award, you would read it out in full (e.g. "Private F Bloggs, George Cross"). No confusion there.
 
#16
Booty said:
He should have apologised for what was an arrogant and insensitive mistake, rather than trying to come up with a bullshit excuse.

If an officer or an OR had a gallantry award, you would read it out in full (e.g. "Private F Bloggs, George Cross"). No confusion there.
The explanation given by Capt Laurence Roach of 20 Armd Bde ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00jwy9v/PM_01_05_2009/ 53.50) was bullshit of the worst type. "...rather than confuse (the issue) with initials we decided to drop the initials...

Sad.
 
#17
Just to clarify, there was discussion prior to the event as to how best to read out the names. All names had initials and surname on them. There was not OR/Officer deliniation. Some of the readers felt that they should read out the full name as they were friends of theirs, some who did not know the full name of the individual either referred to initials or just surname.

I do not know what Capt Roche said as I have not listened to it, but I do know what we were told to do and what was done. Perhaps he was put on the spot and did not know the answer, but being involved in it, I can assure you the direction was rank surname unit date. Some added as a personal point to themselves.
 
#18
Joker

Sorry to labour the point, but I am not sure I understand your explanation. The initials of all officers were read out. The initials of no ORs were read out. No full names were read out. Are we talking about the same service?

Capt Roche's interview was not live. He could have told the BBC he would find out the answer and get back to them.

I am afraid that, whatever the intention, the impression given was that dead officers are more important than dead ORs.
 
#19

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top