Memorial Day

Discussion in 'US' started by Busterdog, May 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Happy Memorial Day.

Lest we forget.

2. My thoughts are with you on this day (from a Brit ex-serviceman). RIP to your fallen servicemen and women.

Is it strictly 'Happy' Memorial Day? It just seems a strange word to use.

3. Wiki: "Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 25 in 2009). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in the military service. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War (it is celebrated near the day of reunification after the civil war), it was expanded after World War I to include American casualties of any war or military action."

Respect.

4. Happy is not the adjuctive I would have used on this solemn day of rememberance.

To those that have gone before and those that came after I lift a glass and remember you.

5. Worked with many Americans, all as Patriotic as you can get...

This is the Yank version of our Remembrance Day so full respect to all who have served, are serving and those who have been killed or injured on active service...

Enjoy the Beers afterwards 'fellas' (they hate that word 8) )

6. Forgive me if I offended anyone's sensibilities by wishing everyone a 'Happy' Memorial Day. Indeed it IS a day on which we remember the Fallen though it is also a day to celebrate the way of life their sacrifice ensured.

7. Respect .

8. Today went and Visited a Few of the Fellows Graves here.

5 of the 19 from my Regiment from Iraq & 4 from Afghanistan. Then went to the Cemetary where My Grandfathers are Buried(Both WWI Veterans) and to pay respects to them & to a 2Lt. KIA Sept 19th, 1944 nearby. Also visited Eugene Bullards Grave 2 rows over. He was the First Black American Pilot, served with the French in 1917

Unfortunately, this day has become more about Beaches opening, Cookouts, & Sales at the Malls, than about Honoring those who've fallen.

9. Today. all over the US, cities and town held parades and memorial services today to honor the fallen.

People have different ways of honoring the dead. I heard of an unusual one today. Jason Varitek is the catcher for the Boston Red Sox (UK ARRSEr's: Red Sox play baseball, catcher is something like wicker keeper)

Varitek played todays game wearing a camo chest protecter and after the game is auctioning off the gear to benefit Massachusetts Soldiers Legacy Fund. The fund provides scholarships to the children of fallen soldiers and sailors. It's nice to see this sort of thing.

10. I live in a small village in rural Connecticut. We held a Memorial parade in the morning, Veterans, civic groups, High School band, Ancient Fife & Drum Corps, Fire Dept (all volunteers), resident Trooper and the towns constables (also volunteers), old military vehicles etc. The sun shone from a cloudless blue sky reflecting on the bright white New England architecture contrasting with the greens and reds of the abundant trees. The mood was one of pride and remembrance, children waved flags and everyone applauded as the parade went by. The graves of veterans of all wars, including those of the French-Indian and Revolutionary Wars were decorated with small US flags as were most homes.
    Later that day taking advantage of the fine weather I took the top down and drove around narrow country lanes past houses where people were cooking out, lakes where braver souls were swimming and streams where the hopeful were fishing. America - observing and enjoying Memorial Day - grateful to those who gave their lives to ensure such freedom.

11. Just been listening to the USMC Battle Color Detachment ceremony, well done to the guys who paraded despite the lashing rain.

12. Given that yesterday was Memorial Day it may be appropriate to mention an article in yesterday's Boston Globe"

It appears that there is a booming business in recovering wrecked warplanes in Papua New Guinea. The people who recover the wrecks are making the recovery of remains impossible. It is a shame that warplanes are more important to some than the warriors who gave their lives flying them.

Boston Globe linky

13. My Son's Boy Scout trooped marched in the local parade. Closed off the main drag and a fair crowd was watching too.
    Respect to those who have died in America's wars

14. As we say in the UK, "We will remember them"