Memorable turns of phrase in personal reports?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by caubeen, Mar 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It is alleged of Evelyn Waugh (and some others: it may be apocryphal) that a senior officer commented in his personal report : "I can see no reason why soldiers would wish to follow this officer - except, perhaps, out of idle curiosity".

Anyone got good report comments to pass on?
  2. "He departed in the same manner as he arrived - fired with enthusiasm"

The above was allegedly the written reference given by a headmaster to one of his staff.
  3. We might expand the thread to include the reportee's reply.

Samuel Beckett, who taught briefly at Campbell College, Belfast (Co. Down's nearest thing to an English public school) in the 1930s, resigned because he was unhappy for various reasons. "What? Leave Campbell?" asked the headmaster. "Mr Beckett, don't you realise that here we teach the cream of Ulster?" "Yes, headmaster. Rich and thick," replied SB.
  4. Samuel Beckett - the only nobel laureate to play in a first class cricket match...(TCD versus Northants apparently)...
  5. Indeed. TCD didn't make as much of Beckett's centenary as they could have. It's perhaps no surprise that Campbell didn't . . . .
  6. I always liked this one. This man sets himself very low standards and frequently fails to achieve them.
  7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

"I would hesitate to breed from this officer"
  8. He will never set the world alight, but if he did he would have trouble putting it out!!! :D
  9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

"If this officer wrote his own Annual Report he would still be below average."
  10. Since this Officer's last report, he has hit rock bottom and started digging...
  11. Given the multiple roles this officer had to reconcile, he was never going to please everybody. However, he went one step further by pleasing nobody.
  12. He did his job to his own satisfaction
  13. He has two speeds slow and stop.
  14. Course report: This Officer attended the classes.