Memorable stuff from your formative years

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
That had never occurred to me. Was it a happy accident? I'll never know.

Jane Wilde's sons were named Willie and Oscar.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
All this talk of plimsolls, Maypoles, Country Dancing and Empire Day brings to mind this extract from The Tempest . . .
Where the bee sucks, there suck I. In A cowslip's bell I lie . . .
But why I know not.

The Spanish soap was Eldorado. Killed off, as was the real town it was set in. Now a ghost town and used for urban paintballing.

It actually seems to have got nothing but positive reviews on IMDB. Possible donning of rose tinted spectacles there.

It did get slaughtered in the press. Much whinging about wasting taxpayers money on a pile of crap.

Edit. Crossed in the ether with the posts above. Snoozed/loozed.

IIRC the presence of Sandra Sandri was a big plus (the only one?). Strangely, I have had a number of latin girlfriends since, hmmmmm . . . .

Does anyone else remember the high pitched squeak that plimsolls made on the highly polished parquet flooring found in school gyms and assembly halls of the time?

Chef

LE
Does anyone else remember the high pitched squeak that plimsolls made on the highly polished parquet flooring found in school gyms and assembly halls of the time?
Every now and then s I cut about in my Converse All Stars I hear that squeak and am disappointed that there's no PE teacher's voice calling out

'Skins* to the far goal, shirts at this end'

*I don't suppose that's allowed as a way of marking two teams these days. Certainly kept the skins moving faster in the winter term.

Blimey, Maypole dancing. The senior year at Maulden Primary (CofE) would practice the maypole so we could put on a show at the village May fair. We all felt very proud in 1983 as we skipped on towards the Maypole, did our show without any errors and skipped back off to our proud Mum’s and Dad’s.

All very British and sweet.

Upturned benches (for balancing exercises) and coir matting were also much in evidence. The school janitors must have cursed the mats because they always left a detritus of coconut hair after they were put away.

Blimey, Maypole dancing. The senior year at Maulden Primary (CofE) would practice the maypole so we could put on a show at the village May fair. We all felt very proud in 1983 as we skipped on towards the Maypole, did our show without any errors and skipped back off to our proud Mum’s and Dad’s.

All very British and sweet.

Sweet?
Not round my neck o'woods.
The safety line is relatively new.
And, no, I wouldn't.

There is one near me in the village of Gawthorpe.

Bloody massive:
1642969453445.png

Gawthorpe is also the home of the World Coal Carrying Championships. Appen that afta hard day at t'mill or t'pit you had to mek yer own entertainment.

It's an exciting place.

Last edited:

Chef

LE
No, that was the boiled cabbage you had for school dinner.
Ah yes, the smell of schools. Especially after the summer hols when all the wood floors had been varnished.

Worst in the summer. Chillers are for losers:(

Somebody was usually designated milk monitor, but for the life of me I can't remember what their duties and responsibilities might have been. Dishing out straws, perhaps, or making sure that nobody dug in for seconds?

Somebody was usually designated milk monitor, but for the life of me I can't remember what their duties and responsibilities might have been. Dishing out straws, perhaps, or making sure that nobody dug in for seconds?

We had to take turns. It meant collecting the empties, removing the soggy, chewed-up waxed paper straws, then putting the bottles in the crates - galvanised metal not plastic. I think we had to stack the crates outside and they were heavy. I remember you couldn't get the smell of milk off your hands after all that, horrible.

Latest Threads