Memorable stuff from your formative years

It was always the same few people who shat themselves. I can only think tried it out once and decided that they liked the feeling. There was one such guy at my primary school, whose surname was Hislop. He inevitably became known to all as 'Hiss-plop'. Perhaps he still is.
Yes.
The same kids are now in VERY minority appeal 'home videos'.
My neighbour's kid in the early 80s had a 'problem'. he was about 8. And regularly shat his pants. At school.
His parents took him to a doctor/psychiatrist who suggested it was very disturbing, and would lead to some serious problems in later life.

@ex_colonial

trainspotting-blog1.jpg

I am sure that was taken from the top of The Newcastle Keep ( Black Gate ? ) ... a great place to visit when I was a boy ... in shorts of course and socks de rigueur for the time ... one up one down ... used to get a train , not a Metro , from Tynemouth which I am sure terminated in Newcastle Central Station .

It is. It got covered recently in the TV series The Architecture the Railways Built (Currently showing on the Yesterday channel).

Also showing currently on Channel 5 is Walking Britain's Lost Railways.

Both well worth eyeball time for anyone interested in railways (like me, although I am not really interested in the engines and rolling stock but do like the architecture and history very much).

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Yes.
The same kids are now in VERY minority appeal 'home videos'.
My neighbour's kid in the early 80s had a 'problem'. he was about 8. And regularly shat his pants. At school.
His parents took him to a doctor/psychiatrist who suggested it was very disturbing, and would lead to some serious problems in later life.
I'd reply, "No sh¡t, Sherlock" but it may be considered inappropriate .

I remember cheap fireworks.

Something like six bangers for a shilling.

Looked at a box of fireworks in the supermarket yesterday. £49.99!

WTF

How are kids supposed to blind and maim themselves if the means are well beyond their available cash.

I remember cheap fireworks.

Something like six bangers for a shilling.

Looked at a box of fireworks in the supermarket yesterday. £49.99!

WTF

How are kids supposed to blind and maim themselves if the means are well beyond their available cash.
Pah ! make your own..........
whats the worst that could happen

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Came across this....the fackin Millennials wouldn't get it so posted here for your delectation old codgers !

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have reserved ten Commando Comics at £1 each. I shall collect them tomorrow and post photos @Joker62 and @old_fat_and_hairy .
Today I found we've had another donation. Fifty comics with cover prices from 10p upwards. On sale at £1 each. I have been allowed to put the box aside.

If anyone would like some, please let me know.
20211104_125643_resized.jpg

Today I found we've had another donation. Fifty comics with cover prices from 10p upwards. On sale at £1 each. I have been allowed to put the box aside.

If anyone would like some, please let me know. View attachment 613686

My mind is boggling at the industry behind these. Someone had to write the stories, then the graphics were all hand drawn - they must have had dozens of illustrators. Then the printing.

Regarding illustrators - can you identify different styles in the books? I never looked too closely, but my memory is they were all an identical "house style", which seems unlikely.

I recall the very first issues of War Picture Library in 1958. Websites tell you that No 1 was “Fight Back to Dunkirk.”
Whilst that is true, the idea at first was that there would be two publications released at the same time on a monthly basis. Issue No 2 came out at the same time as No 1, and IIRC it was entitled “Wings of Victory” with the hero being a Free French Spitfire pilot. I’ve never seen that mentioned anywhere.

I think the original cover price was 9d (equiv 3.75 new pence).

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My mind is boggling at the industry behind these. Someone had to write the stories, then the graphics were all hand drawn - they must have had dozens of illustrators. Then the printing.

Regarding illustrators - can you identify different styles in the books? I never looked too closely, but my memory is they were all an identical "house style", which seems unlikely.
They seem to have developed over the years but are instantly recognisable to those of a certain generation.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Photo above shows "p", but I do remember these in pre-decimal days, late 1960's.
I remember them priced 1/-.

None at the that price in this bundle though the earliest are 10p but could be from the mid 1970s. Decimal currency came in in 1971 but many things carried old and new prices, or were marked 'new pence' until quite late in the decade.

Yes, I am sad...

I can remember the Commando comics came out in batches of 4. War Picture Library came out in 12's, and Battle Picture Library came out in 6's or 8's. I didn't know any kid who could afford that number of comics on pocket money. That's in addition to weekly ones in the same vein, such as Warlord, Battle, Valiant, and Victor. I rarely bought them brand new, preferring instead to get them from second hand shops and market stalls.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I remember them priced 1/-.

None at the that price in this bundle though the earliest are 10p but could be from the mid 1970s. Decimal currency came in in 1971 but many things carried old and new prices, or were marked 'new pence' until quite late in the decade.

Yes, I am sad...
All 2p coins struck between 1971 and 1981 included the words 'NEW PENCE' as part of their reverse. In 1982 and in subsequent years the words 'NEW PENCE' were replaced with the word 'TWO PENCE'. However, in 1983 a small number of 2p coins were mistakenly struck with the wording 'NEW PENCE' on the reverse.