Memorable stuff from your formative years

I was a Short Wave Listener in the 50's and Happy Station Hilversum was a regular favourite of mine on a Sunday morning ... I also used to listen to Radio Moscow on which they also ran many quizzes and offers for those keen to report signal strengths etc ... I never got involved with Radio Moscow but looking back I wonder how many innocents became entrapped this way .
You must have been a Commie.
I used to tune in to American Forces Network from Bremerhaven Juuurmany, with Army Staff Sergeants dee-jaying.

You must have been a Commie.
I used to tune in to American Forces Network from Bremerhaven Juuurmany, with Army Staff Sergeants dee-jaying.
I remember AFN .... but I used to listen to the Voice of America as well .... of course Radio Moscow and Voice of America were subject to regular jamming by their counterparts .

Aaaand..
Horace Bachelor..Pools guru..
From Keynsham...
Spelt Keynsham...K..E,,Y..N......

TamH70

MIA
I spent many happy nights listening to the news output on the BBC World Service - Radio Newsreel, News About Britain and the World News. And many unhappy mornings being hit or shouted at because my violent thug of a father was angry that I fell asleep without turning off my radio and the batteries died as a consequence.

Prick.

Then again, I did get to bury him, so there's that, I suppose.

I could not figure out if he was that good why was he on a radio station
Dunno if he was that good, but lots of people sent him money. Big house, and an allegedly bidable "housekeeper".

TamH70

MIA
Any idea when he died?

About five years ago. I think. I still have the Mass Card with the dates on it, but my memory is knackered. Asperger's and probably early senility.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mrs B_R was an Ovaltiney .... she was also and a Good Templar ... then I met her and soon changed that ... and I am sure Radio Luxembourg signal strength was prone to drifting in and out ... especially when you wanted to hear something important like the Ovaltiney jingle .
It's medium wave frequency was susceptible to atmospherics because the UK service was broadcast while the ionosphere was collapsing as solar radiation stopped charging it.

Ever tried HF after dark? I could pick up ships in the Channel easier than FHQ on the Plain (even when I was Squadron Leader's driver, parked next to FHQ). Thank &DEITY we got a VHF Command Net in BAOR.

To this day I think of Recce Squadron Command Net on the Plain in 1976-7, I hear one particular ship that couldn't be contacted. "Hello Eskimo Eskimo Eskimo this is..." ( but I can't remember the calling station's callsign.)

In later years a group of us went to the movies, middle aged with wives etc. During the film someone said or did something and the usherette came with the torch, and highlighted us and gave us a bollocking.

Talk about flashback
Quite right too! Crumbly ol' gimmers, rustling Werthers wrappers and Always pads, mumbling about rickets and t'Gre-ate Woar ;-)

Talking of wireless sets then.
In a previous professional life going out to work at daft o'clock, doing what was deemed necessary and then driving home around 6 am with a big smile on my face, having done it, and then watching the sun come up over a green and pleasant land.

Oh, and then listening to this while the rest of the working UK was waking up too :-

That dragged out a memory........

"Dan Dare! Pilot of the future!"

(But Horlicks, not Ovaltine....)
I attended the leaving do of a colleague who was retiring after a lifetime in aircraft engineering. He was a great bloke, and in his leaving speech recalled that "When I was growing up I wanted to be Dan Dare, but ended up as Digby..."

It's medium wave frequency was susceptible to atmospherics because the UK service was broadcast while the ionosphere was collapsing as solar radiation stopped charging it.

Ever tried HF after dark? I could pick up ships in the Channel easier than FHQ on the Plain (even when I was Squadron Leader's driver, parked next to FHQ). Thank &DEITY we got a VHF Command Net in BAOR.

To this day I think of Recce Squadron Command Net on the Plain in 1976-7, I hear one particular ship that couldn't be contacted. "Hello Eskimo Eskimo Eskimo this is..." ( but I can't remember the calling station's callsign.)
I work with a guy who has been developing HF systems since the day he was born I think, and he regularly tells the story of a bloke he used to work with. At the time they were somewhere in the middle of Australia, around Alice Springs, and this bloke had a radio set that he had tuned to an Adelaide radio station. He would leave the radio on all the time, and knew it was time to get up when Adelaide started coming through nice and clear as the ionosphere changed from day to night (or vice versa)

Latest Threads