Memorable stuff from your formative years

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
Yep that’s me Proff, l was also SQMS D Sqn when the 3rd were still going and you were there as well!
Haha, my grey matter is still ok….sort of, yep as D Sqn 17 Tp, seems like a bloody long time ago.

hope you are well my old friend and doing ok in life.

oh, and sorry for painting your Spartan bright yellow that Cambrian in Fally and leaving it on the Regimental square……..

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Is there something that you wish to share with the rest of the class?
Typical regimental day activity. At least 3RTR stuck with their own vehicles, whereas 15/19H went hunting the neighbours'.

Which in my time often meant 3RTR.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Did they ever return that Chieftain?:dance:
My understanding is that first parade in the new year, squadron leader knew the line-up was wrong but they had to count.

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
Is there something that you wish to share with the rest of the class?
Haha, my own safety means nothing, but the innocent must be protected, and my co-plotters & accomplices will remain nameless.
Clearly I say sorry in the very past tense.
There was an ongoing feud between we from Recce Tp and F Sqn, things were said, Sqn pennants were um….acquired and photographed with various things being done to them and then we in Recce then decided to up the anti a bit by ‘somehow’ getting into F Sqns hangers, we might of painted the SSM’s Spartan a bright colour and then drove it up to the Regimental square, took out the fuse for the fuel pump, and we might of even abandoned it there for the Regiment to see after the Tommy cup footy match had been played.

miss those days something rotten, Germany mid 90’s, bloody awesome.

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
The RSM at the time stopped us from attacking the F Sqn bar with paintball guns, there were families and all sorts in there, the carnage would of been biblical, nippers getting slapped at point blank range with a paint pellet travelling at a rapid rate of knots, does not bear thinking about to be honest.

Rosie, you saved a few of us from Recce a lot of pain and certain time in the glass house I think that day.
Cambria has a lot to answer for

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The RSM at the time stopped us from attacking the F Sqn bar with paintball guns, there were families and all sorts in there, the carnage would of been biblical, nippers getting slapped at point blank range with a paint pellet travelling at a rapid rate of knots, does not bear thinking about to be honest.

Rosie, you saved a few of us from Recce a lot of pain and certain time in the glass house I think that day.
Cambria has a lot to answer for
@Ex Observer it's Cambrai day, RTR regimental day, but his speelchucker is as sh¡t as mine.

Haha, my own safety means nothing, but the innocent must be protected, and my co-plotters & accomplices will remain nameless.
Clearly I say sorry in the very past tense.
There was an ongoing feud between we from Recce Tp and F Sqn, things were said, Sqn pennants were um….acquired and photographed with various things being done to them and then we in Recce then decided to up the anti a bit by ‘somehow’ getting into F Sqns hangers, we might of painted the SSM’s Spartan a bright colour and then drove it up to the Regimental square, took out the fuse for the fuel pump, and we might of even abandoned it there for the Regiment to see after the Tommy cup footy match had been played.

miss those days something rotten, Germany mid 90’s, bloody awesome.

Proff old chum clearly your time in Recce Tp didn’t improve your AFV Rec then! Twas‘ in fact the Sqn ambulance that Recce painted a very nice shade of saffron, not my Spartan! I’ll let you off . . . Stop, rest, rejoin the class! On a side note l know the lads in F Sqn did paint a couple of your Scimitars but left the two that were bulled up for the Cambrai day Drumhead Service well alone, l think they call it courageous restraint!

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
Proff old chum clearly your time in Recce Tp didn’t improve your AFV Rec then! Twas‘ in fact the Sqn ambulance that Recce painted a very nice shade of saffron, not my Spartan! I’ll let you off . . . Stop, rest, rejoin the class! On a side note l know the lads in F Sqn did paint a couple of your Scimitars but left the two that were bulled up for the Cambrai day Drumhead Service well alone, l think they call it courageous restraint!
Haha, could of sworn it was a Spartan I guided up from the tank park at a rapid rate of knots (& to think, I was a AFV Recce instr!) Yep, I remember seeing the ickle love hearts and flowers painted on my C/S’s road wheels, and I said to myself, ‘ah, bless em, that’s nice’. Bloody good days, don’t know about you but I miss them something rotten.

hope all is well with you and the family Soprano54.

endure

GCM
May I be the first? I would.
6c55b12485926819ab4ec2a53a49403b.jpg

Haha, could of sworn it was a Spartan I guided up from the tank park at a rapid rate of knots (& to think, I was a AFV Recce instr!) Yep, I remember seeing the ickle love hearts and flowers painted on my C/S’s road wheels, and I said to myself, ‘ah, bless em, that’s nice’. Bloody good days, don’t know about you but I miss them something rotten.

hope all is well with you and the family Soprano54.
Happy days Proff or can l call you Perry?! We’re both fine as l hope you and your family are mate, take care and stay safe . . . . blot, bang, rub!

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
Happy days Proff or can l call you Perry?! We’re both fine as l hope you and your family are mate, take care and stay safe . . . . blot, bang, rub!
Blot,bang,rub my arrse (& as a Regt they were, not like our two Regt mate), and yes mate, call me Perry, do not mind. Yep my mob are fine, my nipper is almost 10 now and has finally managed to get her bed block and locker layout squared away, however her best school shoes need more work done on the bulling side as she is toilet at bulling. But yep, you and the other half stay safe mate.

all the best from Recce’s finest.

In Glasgow in the 50s.
Mum talking about a family on the other side of the road.
"They're nice people really . . . . even though they're Catholics"

Sectarianism was rife in those days, took a while for me to shake it off.

PFGEN

GCM
In Glasgow in the 50s.
Mum talking about a family on the other side of the road.
"They're nice people really . . . . even though they're Catholics"

Sectarianism was rife in those days, took a while for me to shake it off.

It was still going strong in the eighties. Group of us went to a bar with a mate who was a Celtic fan. We were in the wrong bar. They passed a bucket round for a donation to the lads over the water. It was far from empty.

It was still going strong in the eighties. Group of us went to a bar with a mate who was a Celtic fan. We were in the wrong bar. They passed a bucket round for a donation to the lads over the water. It was far from empty.
In the N/E of Scotland there was none of this crap, irrespective of religion everybody went to the same school and there was no animosity at all . A lesson the west of Scotland should accept and go forward. It was not till I joined the army in 1965 that such a thing reared it's ugly head and I just could not understand how the two sides had so much hatred to each other

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Master F went to University in Glasgow just a few years ago.

Went with no concept of sectarianism.

Came back with a range of songs of both hues, learned from a variety of bars he had frequented!

Latest Threads