Memorable stuff from your formative years

JAD

LE
When I was in training (Junior Bleeders) the unwritten rule was that once the room floor had been polished and bumpered, it wasn't to be walked on, you had to glide down the centre of the room on a bit of US blanket - floor wasn't scratched and remained shiny for the daily morning inspection.
We possibly share Junior Leaders OCD issues to this day. For me, it's nearly 40 years ago ffs. I still get my panties in a wad over work mates boots with twisted laces, people that wear a military style jacket, flapping open like a Batman cape and anyone with that shabby chic, just out of the tumble drier crisp packet look clothing.

people that wear a military style jacket, flapping open like a Batman cape and anyone with that shabby chic, just out of the tumble drier crisp packet look clothing.
I shall invite you to a Zoom encounter, in that case, for the simple pleasure of watching your blood pressure go through the roof at my lockdown work attire.

We possibly share Junior Leaders OCD issues to this day. For me, it's nearly 40 years ago ffs. I still get my panties in a wad over work mates boots with twisted laces, people that wear a military style jacket, flapping open like a Batman cape and anyone with that shabby chic, just out of the tumble drier crisp packet look clothing.
SWMBO has oft remarked on the way I always keep all the snaps shut on my Rohan waterproof jacket, with pockets closed and cuffs tightly fastened.

I just couldn't go out otherwise.

Even then, I feel half naked, as I'm not wearing puttees over my boots.

Idle bootlaces are the works of Satan.

SWMBO has oft remarked on the way I always keep all the snaps shut on my Rohan waterproof jacket, with pockets closed and cuffs tightly fastened.

What no shirt KF or wooly pully

What no shirt KF or wooly pully
I actually still had a shirt hairy until a couple of years ago. Lost it when we came back from NZ. My original woolly pully, with the draw strings on the neck and khaki canvas shoulders, elbows and wrist ends, gave up the ghost sometime in the 90s, after sterling work as gardening attire.

Last edited:
Did no one keep their Drawers, Cellular, Green then?
Do not ask me how ... do not ask me why ... but somewhere in a box in the loft I have two pairs of Drawers Pyjama ( Long Johns ) issued to me in the 60's ... they may be actually appreciating in value .... they will certainly have shrunk :)... perhaps E Bay calls

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yeah. It was DM11.50 /£ when I was there 62-66.

I recall it was the 50pfennig coin that was the same size as a tanner.

On a separate note HELP. There used to be a radio comedy (possibly TV) where some yokel had the catchphrase "the answer lies in the soil". Any ideas what/who it was? (Or was it a gardening programme?). It is rattling around my brain but I cannot place it.
Arthur Fallowfield alias Kenneth Williams on Hornerama, from 'Beyond our Ken'

Chef

LE
Do not ask me how ... do not ask me why ... but somewhere in a box in the loft I have two pairs of Drawers Pyjama ( Long Johns ) issued to me in the 60's ... they may be actually appreciating in value .... they will certainly have shrunk :)... perhaps E Bay calls
'Matched pair of Covert Ops stealth swimming trunks. Ex-SAS. Very rare. VGC' £250. That should do it.

'Matched pair of Covert Ops stealth swimming trunks. Ex-SAS. Very rare. VGC' £250. That should do it.
Drawers Pyjama and water ... a combination , see what I did there , guaranteed to make the wearer sink like a stone .

Did no one keep their Drawers, Cellular, Green then?
Once, in a fit of mimsy, I wondered if they ever issued a pair Drawers, Nitrocellulose by mistake?

Gives a completely different take on the term "Shreddies"

Chef

LE
Ta, Tovearich.
My one time favourite warning;

'Don't come the slithy tove with me son'

Like 'Bellthronk' sounds insulting and rude.

Offa

War Hero

With you all the way. It was drilled into us to pay attention to detail: always make sure ammo pouches on 58 webbing done up, cap badge over left eye(until you get to battalion, when a more rakish approach almost over left ear was adopted), close things properly, line things up, fold things, wear elastics so OGs fall neatly over puttees etc. etc. Get irritated now, even 50years on, that Mrs. Offa can't/won't put lids on securely, load dishwasher logically, put old newspapers neatly in recycling bag, same with plastics. I do my own ironing, properly - but I'm not allowed to do the dhobi in case I jinx the washing machine. I know, I know, I'm on the spectrum, but getting stuff in good order is just so satisfying.

Last edited:
With you all the way. It was drilled into us to pay attention to detail: always make sure ammo pouches on 58 webbing done up, cap badge over left eye(until you get to battalion, when a more rakish approach almost over left ear was adopted), close things properly, line things up, fold things, wear elastics so OGs fall neatly over putters etc. etc. Get irritated now, even 50years on, that Mrs. Offa can't/won't put lids on securely, load dishwasher logically, put old newspapers neatly in recycling bag, same with plastics. I do my own ironing, properly - but I'm not allowed to do the dhobi in case I jinx the washing machine. I know, I know, I'm on the spectrum, but getting stuff in good order is just so satisfying.
...you can take the man out of the army,.......... but not the army out of the man.....

With you all the way. It was drilled into us to pay attention to detail: always make sure ammo pouches on 58 webbing done up, cap badge over left eye(until you get to battalion, when a more rakish approach almost over left ear was adopted), close things properly, line things up, fold things, wear elastics so OGs fall neatly over putters etc. etc. Get irritated now, even 50years on, that Mrs. Offa can't/won't put lids on securely, load dishwasher logically, put old newspapers neatly in recycling bag, same with plastics. I do my own ironing, properly - but I'm not allowed to do the dhobi in case I jinx the washing machine. I know, I know, I'm on the spectrum, but getting stuff in good order is just so satisfying.
I just thought that was normal.

Chef

LE
...you can take the man out of the army,.......... but not the army out of the man.....
The other day as I hung out the washing to dry I realised I had several sets of identical work trousers and similar looking shirts. Probably more uniform than when I did my bit.

And I was only TA.

Offa

War Hero
I think it is. Another thing my wife thinks is weird is I call my wardrobe my locker and all my kit is on the shelves, same size (A4), and would pass a locker inspection. Her locker (wardrobe) however, is just a jumble of clothes in no apparent order. I can pack to go away in under 10 minutes, all locked and loaded; she prepares the week before and then is still rushed.

Latest Threads